N
Posted By
No
Jan 6, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to learn the best way to make transparent gifs in photoshop, I would perfer seeing a tutorial rather than someone giving me steps in a post.

What I am trying to do is create transparent gifs that can be placed on web pages with all kinds of backgrounds and still have nice crisp edges. can anyone direct me to some good tutorials?

Thanks in advance

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

NE
no_email
Jan 6, 2005
On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 11:50:14 -0600, "No" wrote:

I want to learn the best way to make transparent gifs in photoshop, I would perfer seeing a tutorial rather than someone giving me steps in a post.

What I am trying to do is create transparent gifs that can be placed on web pages with all kinds of backgrounds and still have nice crisp edges. can anyone direct me to some good tutorials?

Thanks in advance
Perhaps something here:
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?as_oq=Tut%20tutorial&am p;safe=off&as_ugroup=comp.graphics.apps.photoshop&as _usubject=transparent%20gif&lr=lang_en&num=50&hl =en
or here:
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?as_epq=transparent%20gi f%20tutorial&safe=off&as_ugroup=comp.graphics.apps.p hotoshop&lr=lang_en&num=50&hl=en
J
jjs
Jan 6, 2005
"No" wrote in message

Go to the PS help menu and take "export as transparent image".
N
No
Jan 6, 2005
jjs,
Nothing personal but everytime I ask for a tutorial you reply back with look in Help…. I know how to look in help ok? DO you know what a tutorial is???
"jjs" <john&#064;xstafford.net> wrote in message
"No" wrote in message

Go to the PS help menu and take "export as transparent image".
T
tacitr
Jan 6, 2005
What I am trying to do is create transparent gifs that can be placed on web pages with all kinds of backgrounds and still have nice crisp edges.

Ha! Wouldn’t we all.

Unfortunately, the GIF file format specification forbids that. It is not possible within the GIF format.

GIF transparency is "all or nothing"–a pixel is completely transparent or completely opaque. Partially translucent pixels are not permitted by the GIF specification.

Because of that, you can make a GIF with hard, aliased edges that will work on all Web backgrounds, or you can make a GIF with nice smooth edges but that only works on one color background. You can not make a nice, smooth GIF that works on any background.

The nice, smooth, atialiased edge requies placing pixels along the edge which are translucent–something GIF does not permit. So you fake it, by using a "matte color" to create an edge that’s the color of the Web background you want to use. if you don’t use a matte, your edge is hard and jagged, not anti-aliased.

can anyone direct me to some good tutorials?

The tutorial that does what you want starts like this:

Step 1: Change the GIF format specification so that it allows antialiased transparency.

Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
EG
Eric Gill
Jan 6, 2005
(Tacit) wrote in m03.aol.com:

Ha! Wouldn’t we all.

I’ve been hoping for Microsoft to screw up and accidentally properly implement PNG Alpha in IE.

If I’d held my breath, I’d be dead by now, of course.
T
tacitr
Jan 6, 2005
I’ve been hoping for Microsoft to screw up and accidentally properly implement PNG Alpha in IE.

Wouldn’t that be nice? It’d make PNG images wth 8-bit transparency useful for once. unfortunately, since Explorer is the lowest common denominator of Web browsers and since Explorer mucks up alpha transparency on PNGs, we’re left dealing with the insufficiencies of GIF transparency.

J
jjs
Jan 6, 2005
"No" wrote in message
jjs,
Nothing personal but everytime I ask for a tutorial you reply back with look
in Help…. I know how to look in help ok? DO you know what a tutorial is???

Hey, look at it before you jump. It holds your hand, talks sweet to you and blows you a kiss when it’s done.
H
Hecate
Jan 7, 2005
On 06 Jan 2005 21:22:16 GMT, (Tacit) wrote:

Wouldn’t that be nice? It’d make PNG images wth 8-bit transparency useful for once. unfortunately, since Explorer is the lowest common denominator of Web browsers and since Explorer mucks up alpha transparency on PNGs, we’re left dealing with the insufficiencies of GIF transparency.

There is hope. Firefox seems to be gaining ground (figures up to end October) IE share has gone from 97.1% to 92.7% and Firefox has taken a good chunk of that. Since October, v1 has been released and a *lot* of magazines have been recommending it (even my daily newspaper has in it’s weekly computing column). So, maybe we’ll see a change. Also, like Eric I’ve been hoping and I’m wondering if they’ll include it in the Longhorn build.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
EG
Eric Gill
Jan 7, 2005
Hecate wrote in
news::

On 06 Jan 2005 21:22:16 GMT, (Tacit) wrote:

There is hope. Firefox seems to be gaining ground (figures up to end October) IE share has gone from 97.1% to 92.7% and Firefox has taken a good chunk of that. Since October, v1 has been released and a *lot* of magazines have been recommending it (even my daily newspaper has in it’s weekly computing column). So, maybe we’ll see a change.

God, I really hope so. I’m sick of cleaning up worm-ridden machines.

90% of them are from IE’s wide-open door, welcome mat, neon sign and searchlights spelling "Please Screw This Computer".

I swear – the only way Microsoft could do any worse is by chauferring the thieves to your door.

Also,
like Eric I’ve been hoping and I’m wondering if they’ll include it in the Longhorn build.

Whee – there’s something else not to hold your breath on.

I have been tinkering with a workaround:

http://www.koivi.com/ie-png-transparency/

It’s not exactly the same, but it’s a lot better. Just a pain.
H
Hecate
Jan 8, 2005
On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 04:54:57 GMT, Eric Gill
wrote:

Also,
like Eric I’ve been hoping and I’m wondering if they’ll include it in the Longhorn build.

Whee – there’s something else not to hold your breath on.

Interesting. It would be nice if png was usable. The code isn’t so bad if you’re using something like Dreamweaver as you can save code snippets and so forth, but I still wish we didn’t have to do something like that.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
JM
John McWilliams
Jan 8, 2005
Eric Gill wrote:
90% of them are from IE’s wide-open door, welcome mat, neon sign and searchlights spelling "Please Screw This Computer".
I swear – the only way Microsoft could do any worse is by chauferring the thieves to your door.

Psssst. One word: Macintosh……. shhhhhh.

John McWilliams
H
Hecate
Jan 9, 2005
On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 11:25:30 -0800, John McWilliams
wrote:

Eric Gill wrote:

Psst -a few words – only 5% of the global market….

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
EG
Eric Gill
Jan 9, 2005
John McWilliams wrote in

Eric Gill wrote:

Working on a Macintosh will not suddenly allow all the viewers of the resulting site able to view PNG alpha in Internet Explorer.

John, you may love your Mac, but that was just stupid.
JM
John McWilliams
Jan 9, 2005
Eric Gill wrote:
John McWilliams wrote in

Eric Gill wrote:

Working on a Macintosh will not suddenly allow all the viewers of the resulting site able to view PNG alpha in Internet Explorer.

Of course not. Absurd – no, preposterous!- deduction; one I did not mean to make.
Re-read this, concentrating on your first three little paragraphs. Yes, I should have trimmed everything after, "I have been tinkering…."

John McWilliams
N
nomail
Jan 9, 2005
Hecate wrote:

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 11:25:30 -0800, John McWilliams
wrote:

Eric Gill wrote:

Psst. So what? If I work with a Macintosh, does it really matter how many other people do at that same moment?

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
EG
Eric Gill
Jan 9, 2005
John McWilliams wrote in news:z7qdnVS0Vb6rQ33cRVn-
:

Eric Gill wrote:
John McWilliams wrote in

Eric Gill wrote:

Of course not. Absurd – no, preposterous!- deduction; one I did not
mean
to make.
Re-read this, concentrating on your first three little paragraphs. Yes, I should have trimmed everything after, "I have been tinkering…."

Yes. Okay. That makes more sense.

Change my reply to, "Mozilla."

The longer reply is: my experience is that it’s easier to talk my clients who use PCs into using Mozilla software and a router I’ve configured than switching to Macs, and that eliminates the problem.
H
Hecate
Jan 10, 2005
On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 10:45:12 +0100, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

Psst. So what? If I work with a Macintosh, does it really matter how many other people do at that same moment?

Not at all. I just get irritated by the "use a Mac" people when someone is asking for/discussing use of a PC. It’s both inappropriate and a pain in the ass.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
N
nomail
Jan 10, 2005
Hecate wrote:

Not at all. I just get irritated by the "use a Mac" people when someone is asking for/discussing use of a PC. It’s both inappropriate and a pain in the ass.

I’m a Mac user, but I agree fully. However, if you respond like that you only risk starting a flame war. That’s an even bigger pain. Just use your kill file for people like that.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
T
tacitr
Jan 10, 2005

It’s perfectly appropriate to a discussion such as "I am tired of dealing with worms and viruses." It’s not, however, relevant to the issue of whether PNG alpha transparency is viable for Web use.

JM
John McWilliams
Jan 10, 2005
Tacit wrote:

It’s perfectly appropriate to a discussion such as "I am tired of dealing with worms and viruses." It’s not, however, relevant to the issue of whether PNG alpha transparency is viable for Web use.

Yes. In my reply to Eric Gill I left in some of his quote that I shouldn’t have. I was speaking strictly to the "tired of" stuff.

IAE, market share has no bearing on how good a certain platform is. Look at Godiva chocolates; Rolls Royce; Bach, Beethoven and Brahms, for starters.

John McWilliams-
H
Hecate
Jan 11, 2005
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:18:22 +0100, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

Hecate wrote:

I’m a Mac user, but I agree fully. However, if you respond like that you only risk starting a flame war. That’s an even bigger pain. Just use your kill file for people like that.

Fair enough, Johan – good point 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
H
Hecate
Jan 11, 2005
On 10 Jan 2005 19:54:41 GMT, (Tacit) wrote:

Only if you include Linux distros 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections