L
Posted By
liquidsquid
Dec 27, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ok, let me start by asking you to NOT tell me to use the integrated folder within Photoshop. I like it for its intended purpose.

I use my PC with software other than Photoshop normally, and since installing 7.0, I am having major problems with Windows XP and Photoshop icon image previews battling it out on my machine. Now file browsing through Windows Explorer in thumbnail view and slideshow is abysmally slow, as well as while the Adobe system is generating these tiny icons in the otherwise large thumbnails, it creates graphic "chunks" of icons while I am waiting on my otherwise fast PC. It is making me swear at my machine which I haven’t done in a long time (apart from losing a game or two). I don’t intend on switching to a different file management method of working on my machine because a "feature" prevents me from using the OS properly.

Here is what I have tried: Uninstalling and reinstalling with the "Helper" unchecked. The "helper" describes itself as being where this feature is installed. Unfortunatly this has no effect on the installation as far as I can tell. I have not hacked into the registry yet and started disabling the shell extension keys, but I am coming close. I worry about other side effets here… Do I just dis-associate the various extensions as default from Photoshop?

Please let me know if there is a setting or installation option somewhere that I can disable this feature. I have been so far unlucky in finding out how to resolve this issue! Is this something easily done in the new CS version which I would like to purchase?

I am anal about software dinking with my OS, so this is leaving a foul taste in my mouth.

Thanks for any and all info.

-LS

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

L
larry
Dec 27, 2003
Put a shortcut to your working folder in the My Picture folder. Don’t navigate your entire hard drive in thumbnail mode. Do it in Windows Explorer.

Customize your work flow so it really is a work flow and is consistent from project to project. I have a folder called "Clients" and sub folders for each job. I also have shortcuts to that Clients" folder in My Documents and on my desktop. I drag and drop images from a thumbnail view (using ACDSee) onto a shortcut to Photoshop to work on an image. That way, my working folder is always the folder I’m working in.

Larry Berman
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 27, 2003
if you don’t want or need the ps icons, simply rename psicon.dll to something like psicon.old and reboot. no more battling. it’s in the folder where you installed PS7.
L
liquidsquid
Dec 27, 2003
Ah yes, this is the answer I was looking for, thank you very much!!! Time to go get Photoshop CS with only 1G of RAM. 😉

Only problem is on the XP box, it resides here:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Shell

I have yet to reboot however. I would rather unregister this file so the system doesn’t keep looking for it, but I’ll take what I can get! If I can find a better method for disabling it, I will post.

Again thanks!

-LS
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 28, 2003
go ahead and unregister it if you can find a copy of regsvr32.exe

the command will be "regsvr32 psicon.dll /u"

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections