MC
Posted By
Mustang Concepts
Jan 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, I’m new, totally. I have Photoshop 7, but no manual. I’d like to know is there somewhere online that has step by step instruction for a total novice ? I really want to learn this, but if have several other time demands.
Thanks,
Daryl

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

V
Voivod
Jan 10, 2004
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 14:27:51 -0600, Mustang Concepts
scribbled:

Hi, I’m new, totally. I have Photoshop 7, but no manual. I’d like to know is there somewhere online that has step by step instruction for a total novice ? I really want to learn this, but if have several other time demands.

Step 1: Go to www.adobe.com
Step 2: BUY a legitimate copy of Photoshop
Step 3: Read the manual you just paid for.
DH
David H
Jan 11, 2004
Voivod wrote:

scribbled:

And after that, then go buy a book or two. There are literally hundreds to choose from.

-david

—————————–
Looking for a book on Adobe Photoshop?
Check out the Photoshop Zone with in-depth reviews and information on hundreds of different Photoshop books at: http://www.photoshopzone.com
H
Hecate
Jan 11, 2004
wrote:

Thanks,
Daryl

Take the box back to where you purchased it. There should be a manual in the box.

Alternatively, hit F1.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
M
mscir
Jan 11, 2004
David H wrote:

Voivod wrote:

scribbled:

And after that, then go buy a book or two. There are literally hundreds to choose from.

-david

You might check your local Library for Photoshop books.

I like this site for beginner tutorials:

http://graphicssoft.about.com/library/course/bllps5out.htm

Mike
C
Clive
Jan 11, 2004
Have a look at www,myjanee.com for some of the best Photoshop tutorials around.

"David H" wrote in message
Voivod wrote:

scribbled:

-david

—————————–
Looking for a book on Adobe Photoshop?
Check out the Photoshop Zone with in-depth reviews and information on hundreds of different Photoshop books at: http://www.photoshopzone.com
MD
Mike Davis
Jan 11, 2004
The manual, for those who have bothered to read it, is identical, word for word, with the help files in the program itself. It is all but worthless as a "tutorial" for newbies. The request was a legitimate one, I think.
V
Voivod
Jan 11, 2004
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:57:58 GMT, "mdavis"
scribbled:

The manual, for those who have bothered to read it, is identical, word for word, with the help files in the program itself. It is all but worthless as a "tutorial" for newbies. The request was a legitimate one, I think.

Right, so share your explanation how he could have
a copy of the program without having the manual.
J
jrzyguy
Jan 11, 2004
Do check out myjanee.com and search around for other web sits as well. Adobe Classroom in a Book is a pretty good (basic, but kinda dry) book to start with, Photoshop WOW is a bit better of a "read"

Now as far as if this person actually purchased PS7 i could give a rats butt. Its a damn expensive, totally over priced (but great) program. If a person is a newbie (as i was several years ago) the might not want to plunk down all that money for something that they might not ever use, or use that much. After all…there are quite a few cheaper options out there, albeit minus the real power of PS. Down the road, perhaps this newbie will actualy go out and buy a legit version that comes with all the free downloads and updates etc.

Oh…and btw newbie….if/when you do buy a legit version of PS…throw the damn MANUAL away. (however, you might find use for it as either a cat box liner or you could perhaps shred it and use it as packaging material).

"Voivod" wrote in message
scribbled:

The manual, for those who have bothered to read it, is identical, word
for
word, with the help files in the program itself. It is all but worthless
as
a "tutorial" for newbies. The request was a legitimate one, I think.

Right, so share your explanation how he could have
a copy of the program without having the manual.

V
Voivod
Jan 11, 2004
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 10:26:25 -0500, "jrzyguy" scribbled:

Do check out myjanee.com and search around for other web sits as well.

Why should I? I’m in no need of tutorials and if I were
I know where to find them.

Adobe Classroom in a Book is a pretty good (basic, but kinda dry) book to start with, Photoshop WOW is a bit better of a "read"
Now as far as if this person actually purchased PS7 i could give a rats butt. Its a damn expensive, totally over priced (but great) program. If a

I couldn’t care less about what you could give a rats ass about.

person is a newbie (as i was several years ago) the might not want to plunk down all that money for something that they might not ever use, or use that

Then they should try the trail version or seek a lower cost (read; Paint Shop Pro) or free (read; The Gimp) instead of stealing.

much. After all…there are quite a few cheaper options out there, albeit minus the real power of PS. Down the road, perhaps this newbie will actualy go out and buy a legit version that comes with all the free downloads and updates etc.

Irrelevant, possible good intentions in the future are no excuse to steal now.

Oh…and btw newbie….if/when you do buy a legit version of PS…throw the damn MANUAL away. (however, you might find use for it as either a cat box liner or you could perhaps shred it and use it as packaging material).

Or read it, and learn enough not to ask stupid questions.
J
jrzyguy
Jan 11, 2004

Adobe Classroom in a Book is a pretty good (basic, but kinda dry) book to start with, Photoshop WOW is a bit better of a "read"
Now as far as if this person actually purchased PS7 i could give a rats butt. Its a damn expensive, totally over priced (but great) program. If
a
person is a newbie (as i was several years ago) the might not want to
plunk
down all that money for something that they might not ever use, or use
that
Then they should try the trail version or seek a lower cost (read; Paint Shop Pro) or free (read; The Gimp) instead of stealing.

much. After all…there are quite a few cheaper options out there,
albeit
minus the real power of PS. Down the road, perhaps this newbie will
actualy
go out and buy a legit version that comes with all the free downloads and updates etc.

Oh…and btw newbie….if/when you do buy a legit version of PS…throw
the
damn MANUAL away. (however, you might find use for it as either a cat
box
liner or you could perhaps shred it and use it as packaging material).

J
jrzyguy
Jan 11, 2004
Eh…u just sound bitter cuz you probably paid full price.

Next time newbie…..perhaps you should phrase your question like this to satisfy the PC police in here.

"i have read the manual and help files and they are absolutely of no use. They are poorly written with no clear cut examples for everyday use. Can someone please point me in the right direction for some good on-line tutorials or books i could buy".

Oh…Newbie….if you are in the NYC area…you can find the books that i have mentioned being sold on the street (canal street, 7th ave, etc) for a fraction of what you would pay in a book store.

now …back to the case of trying out illegitimate version of programs. I have legit versions of Flash & Director (v.5 & v.8). Someone sent me the cd’s for both MX versions when they came out…and after poking around a bit i realized that there was no reason to purchase the upgrades (at this point). I still continue using my older (and legit) version even tho i have full access to the newer versions.

And as far as Adobe’s 30 day demos are concerned…they are a not very useful. You cant save your work and come back to it a day later and continue exploring the project one was working on. Indeed…if i were able to have full trial versions (like say macromedia allows) with save feature intact….then i might be looking at things like go-live and other products.

Now as far as if this person actually purchased PS7 i could give a rats butt. Its a damn expensive, totally over priced (but great) program. If
a
person is a newbie (as i was several years ago) the might not want to
plunk
down all that money for something that they might not ever use, or use
that

much. After all…there are quite a few cheaper options out there,
albeit
minus the real power of PS. Down the road, perhaps this newbie will
actualy
go out and buy a legit version that comes with all the free downloads and updates etc.

Oh…and btw newbie….if/when you do buy a legit version of PS…throw
the
damn MANUAL away. (however, you might find use for it as either a cat
box
liner or you could perhaps shred it and use it as packaging material).

J
jrzyguy
Jan 11, 2004
One more thing….and just a suggestion in case any of ya’ll work for adobe.

I think soundforge is a good example of a free demo for an expenisive (but worth the price) program.

With their demo you can fully save your work etc….however…you do not have access to all the advance features all the time. You are given a choice when you start the program to choose 3 or 4 major features that you would like to use. IF you want to use other major features you have to save your work, restart the program and then check THOSE other features. This way, you are able to experience the full functionality of the program….however..if you are like me and dont want to have to exit the program every time you want to access a different feature….you just might end up spending the money and buying the damn thing for 600 bucks (if you have it).

So….my final 2 points to this thread are…Adobe should reconsider how they offer their demos and stop being so uptight (as they clearly hold the maket edge with this particular product).

and to newbie….if you ARE going to <cough cough> "sample" a program…THINK before your post so we dont have to listed to the self righteous police here.
V
Voivod
Jan 11, 2004
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:04:56 -0500, "jrzyguy" scribbled:

I only ‘sound’ bitter because you’re just another in a long line of thieves trying to justify their theft by crying about prices.
MD
Mike Davis
Jan 11, 2004
Yes, it may be a pirated copy. But it may not be. Site licenses are not uncommon. Educational institutions may teach only parts of the program in a given semester, and there aren’t manuals to go around. I teach in such an environment.

Self-appointed forum police assume everyone is guilty until proven innocent. It’s just the opposite in my country.

Forget the flames, there will be no response this thread.
V
Voivod
Jan 11, 2004
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 20:30:18 GMT, "mdavis"
scribbled:

Forget the flames, there will be no response this thread.

I do ever so love cowards who run in, spout off some idiotic nonsense and then flee with their tails between their legs.
A
Alan
Jan 11, 2004

I only ‘sound’ bitter because you’re just another in a long line of thieves trying to justify their theft by crying about prices.
Lets not forget that Voviod (Burger Boy) by his own admission is a thief, of a burger from his employer no less. Theft from an employer, immediate jail sentence
V
Voivod
Jan 11, 2004
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:32:24 +0000 (UTC), "Alan" scribbled:

Lets not forget

That you’re a moron obsessed with a non-issue that you’ve made up? You hardly let anyone forget that.
J
jrzyguy
Jan 12, 2004
Ugh..i hate to be baited here by a disgruntled idiot…..but if you have read my posts…i have stated that i do have full and legit PS7 here at home…bought and paid for by myself. I happen to have a decent job and can afford it…..however there are people who can not afford such a hefty price tag….or who are just starting out.

and actualy….poor newbie never said if he had the manual or not. (not that having the manual is an effective tool to actualy LEARNING photoshop).

anyhoo…you are just full of a lot of hot air and obviously too much time on your hands..

ciao,
jj

H
Hecate
Jan 12, 2004
wrote:

Except that he should have a copy of it…

There are shed loads of tutorials on the Net if he bothers to Google, and he could do a lot worse than buy a copy of the Visual Quick Start Guide.

I agree about the manual, but I find that true of most manuals 🙂

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
V
Voivod
Jan 12, 2004
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 20:21:27 -0500, "jrzyguy" scribbled:

and actualy….poor newbie never said if he had the manual or not. (not that having the manual is an effective tool to actualy LEARNING photoshop).

"Hi, I’m new, totally. I have Photoshop 7, but no manual."

So he never said that, did he? Odd, so how’d that get in his post? Magic post editing gnomes?
A
Alan
Jan 12, 2004
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:32:24 +0000 (UTC), "Alan" scribbled:

Lets not forget

That you’re a moron obsessed with a non-issue that you’ve made up? You hardly let anyone forget that.
Oh dear Voivod continues to lie!
Anyone can go back in the history of this newsgroup to see
a) you have said you have not stolen anything and that you would not bother
to reply to any more of my posts
b) you have subsequently admitted you have stolen a burger from your employer

so.. you by your own admission have
a) lied
b) are a thief, an theft from an employer is more heinous in legal terms than the theft of software
c) have the audacity then to set yourself up as the guardian of Adobes intellectual property rights to such an extent you have become fanatical about it

Voivod (forever after known as Burger boy) continues to be a liar and a thief
V
Voivod
Jan 12, 2004
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 08:55:36 +0000 (UTC), "Alan" scribbled:

Anyone can go back in the history of this newsgroup

And yet only you are obsessed enough to do so.

Oh, and you don’t know what X-No-Archive: yes means
either.
A
Alan
Jan 12, 2004

Only when you continue to attack newsgroup people whilst being a theif yourself, and a liar Burger boy
V
Voivod
Jan 12, 2004
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:14:23 +0000 (UTC), "Alan" scribbled:

Only when you continue to attack newsgroup people whilst being a theif yourself, and a liar Burger boy

So, just how pathetic IS your life that your only outlet is chasing after me with made up stories? Perhaps you
should sit back, have a doggie biscuit, learn to spell
simple words like "thief" and reflect on how pitiful you are.
A
Alan
Jan 12, 2004
So, just how pathetic IS your life that your only outlet is chasing after me with made up stories? Perhaps you

Well I do not steal from my employer, tell the world through a newsgroup that I have done so, then try to deny the same.
Nothing worse in the world than Voivod the Burger Boy trying to justify his own pitiful existence as a thieving, Burger flipper who cannot even lie straight in his bed
Burger Boy, Liar and thief
V
Voivod
Jan 12, 2004
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:43:13 +0000 (UTC), "Alan" scribbled:

Well I do not steal from my employer, tell the world through a newsgroup that I have done so, then try to deny the same.
Nothing worse in the world than Voivod the Burger Boy trying to justify his own pitiful existence as a thieving, Burger flipper who cannot even lie straight in his bed
Burger Boy, Liar and thief

So you’re saying your life is SO pathetic you need to follow up to every post I make with your inanities? You’re almost amusing. Do continue showing everyone just how pathetic
you are.
BN
Bill Newton
Jan 12, 2004

So you’re saying your life is SO pathetic you need to follow up to every post I make with your inanities? You’re almost amusing. Do continue showing everyone just how pathetic
you are.

Kettle, Pot,black …….. Come on lads, enough is enough. If you want to slag each other off why not go to e-mail ……. please:-)

Bill Newton
A
Alan
Jan 13, 2004
So you’re saying your life is SO pathetic you need to follow
up to every post I make with your inanities? You’re almost amusing. Do continue showing everyone just how pathetic
you are.
Again, still showing that you lie time and time again. "I will not respond to your posts" says Burger boy and continues to do so. Yes, I will follow your posts. Nothing is worse than a hypocrite and that is what you are Burger Boy. You have made yourself the moral guardian of this newsgroup whilst being a liar and a thief yourself.
Liar, thief and hypocrite Burger Boy Voivod
V
Voivod
Jan 13, 2004
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 08:50:14 +0000 (UTC), "Alan" scribbled:

Yes, I will follow your posts.

I know. With such a meaningless life it’s all you’ve
got to make you happy. Go ahead, make your
self look like a rabid, scraming asshole shouting
"Liar, thief" over and over and over and over. I find it amusing that you think anyone believes you
or that I respond for any reason other than to
MAKE YOU DANCE.
L
LifeIsGood
Jan 13, 2004
Gee

I ONCE found something useful in this site

Now I read for HUMOR.
V
Voivod
Jan 13, 2004
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 07:59:38 -0700, "LifeIsGood" scribbled:

Gee

It’s not a site.
A
Alan
Jan 13, 2004
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 08:50:14 +0000 (UTC), "Alan" scribbled:

Yes, I will follow your posts.

I know. With such a meaningless life it’s all you’ve
got to make you happy. Go ahead, make your
self look like a rabid, scraming asshole shouting
"Liar, thief" over and over and over and over. I find it amusing that you think anyone believes you
or that I respond for any reason other than to
MAKE YOU DANCE.
So, Burger boy, after losing the augment that he is, by his own admission, a liar, thief and burger boy, which, everyone who reads this newsgroup knows, is trying to be subtle by pretending he is responding for his own amusement, even after stating that he would not respond to my posts, keeps on doing so. But then again, when all Voivod has in life is his job as a burger boy, the pictures of Michael Jackson to cream over and his self imposed position as guardian to Adobe’s intellectual rights, what else would anyone expect? You continue to berate people for "stealing" Adobe products from your position as a thief from your employer and you will be shown up for the sad little squirt you really are.
A
Alan
Jan 13, 2004
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 07:59:38 -0700, "LifeIsGood" scribbled:

Gee

It’s not a site.
You are such an anal retentive thief Burger boy. I can see you now, living in your caravan, err sorry "mobile home" feasting yourself on stolen burgers trying to pick fault with everyone else in the world. So sad.
V
Voivod
Jan 13, 2004
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:25:18 +0000 (UTC), "Alan" scribbled:

pretending he is responding for his own amusement,

Oh believe me, other than the amusement factor you’ve
got nothing to offer anyone.
V
Voivod
Jan 13, 2004
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:27:14 +0000 (UTC), "Alan" scribbled:

You are such an anal retentive

There’s the old pot calling the kettle black! Do obsess further over your made up stories. I’m sure it gives you the hope you need not to slit your wrists in the middle of the night.
A
Alan
Jan 14, 2004

It does not matter any more what you come out with in your sad little world. Everyone now knows you are a hypocrite, a liar and a thief yourself. your self delusions of being at the top of the moral high ground are shot to pieces.
V
Voivod
Jan 14, 2004
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 00:16:42 +0000 (UTC), "Alan" scribbled:

It does not matter any more what you come out with in your sad little world. Everyone now knows you are a hypocrite, a liar and a thief yourself. your self delusions of being at the top of the moral high ground are shot to pieces.

Why? because you slobber all over ever post I make
shrilly screaming "Liar, thief" over and over again? Yeah, that’s a convincing argument.
CM
Chris Mork
Jan 14, 2004
Voivod wrote:

shrilly screaming "Liar, thief" over and over again? Yeah, that’s a convincing argument.

Next, he’ll say you ‘stole his precious’! LOL

Chris Mork
Owner CCG Sales / Small Business Links

====> A Swarm of Traffic to Your Site <====
Targeted prospects will swarm your site 24/7!
Just 5 minutes to set-up. It’s automated, "viral" and proven – and best of all it’s FREE!
http://www.trafficswarm.com/go.cgi?59216
http://home.fuse.net/ccg/smallbizlinks.html
A
Alan
Jan 14, 2004
The convincing augment has come from your own posts, where, you admitted to stealing from your employer, or are you suddenly trying to say that was also a lie?
Your integrity is shot.
A
Alan
Jan 14, 2004
"Chris Mork" wrote in message
Voivod wrote:

It does not matter any more what you come out with in your sad little
world.
Everyone now knows you are a hypocrite, a liar and a thief yourself.
your
self delusions of being at the top of the moral high ground are shot to pieces.

Oh look! Burger boy has a friend (or Burger boy with a different name)
V
Voivod
Jan 14, 2004
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:51:58 +0000 (UTC), "Alan" scribbled:

The convincing augment

There is none, get over it. Sarcasm flew over your
head ages ago and you’ve been following the
contrail ever since.
CM
Chris Mork
Jan 15, 2004
Alan wrote:

"Chris Mork" wrote in message
Voivod wrote:

It does not matter any more what you come out with in your sad little
world.
Everyone now knows you are a hypocrite, a liar and a thief yourself.
your
self delusions of being at the top of the moral high ground are shot to pieces.

Oh look! Burger boy has a friend (or Burger boy with a different name)

Precioussssssssssss…

Chris Mork
Owner CCG Sales / Small Business Links

====> A Swarm of Traffic to Your Site <====
Targeted prospects will swarm your site 24/7!
Just 5 minutes to set-up. It’s automated, "viral" and proven – and best of all it’s FREE!
http://www.trafficswarm.com/go.cgi?59216
http://home.fuse.net/ccg/smallbizlinks.html

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections