How do you make a color become gradually lighter?

J
Posted By
johnpower
Jan 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a photo I am working with that has a framed picture on a blue wall. As you move across the wall from left to right the blue becomes gradually lighter. When I try and clone the picture out I cannot match the change in color so the hole is filled with a constant color, which makes it obvious that something was cloned out. Is there a way to make the filled in color gradually lighten? Could I grab a chunk from the area directly above it and paste it over the picture?

Any ideas on this? I spent an hour trying to accomplish an acceptable result but could not.

Thanks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
broga
Jan 7, 2004
It isn’t the way I’d recommend but you can ‘grab’ a chunk by using the rectangular marquee tool – or one of the other selection tools – then using Layer>New>Layer via copy (Or Ctrl+J)
Move it down over the picture you wish to hide. If it isn’t big enough make another copy on another layer and slide that down too.
Flatten your image and use the clone tool to tidy up any obvious edges

www.micromountain.com
wrote in message
I have a photo I am working with that has a framed picture on a blue wall. As you move across the wall from left to right the blue becomes gradually lighter. When I try and clone the picture out I cannot match the change in color so the hole is filled with a constant color, which makes it obvious that something was cloned out. Is there a way to make the filled in color gradually lighten? Could I grab a chunk from the area directly above it and paste it over the picture?
Any ideas on this? I spent an hour trying to accomplish an acceptable result but could not.

Thanks
J
jwm2
Jan 7, 2004
If I am right, you are trying to have a gradiated empty frame on the wall with the
empty part looking like the wall????
If this is it, all you have to do is use the marquee from corner to corner of the inside of the frame
then move the selection to the wall above the opening. (you just click inside the selection and drag up to the spot you want to clone) then alt/ctrl click in and drag back down into the opening. (which duplicates that spot on the wall). If you find that the frame is not straight you can edit/transform/perspective the whole image to "square up" the opening. John M
J
johnpower
Jan 7, 2004
On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 22:25:11 -0500, "jwm2" wrote:

If I am right, you are trying to have a gradiated empty frame on the wall with the
If this is it, all you have to do is use the marquee from corner to corner of the inside of the frame
then move the selection to the wall above the opening. (you just click inside the selection and drag up to the spot you want to clone) then alt/ctrl click in and drag back down into the opening. (which duplicates that spot on the wall). If you find that the frame is not straight you can edit/transform/perspective the whole image to "square up" the opening. John M

I think you have it. I’ll try that and let you know if it accomplishes my objective…
J
johnpower
Jan 7, 2004

Thanks very much. Both suggested methods work. Now the follow up question is how I can take a selected rectangle of color and make it change in lightness from one side the other. For example, say I have a dark blue section selected and I want it to gradually become lighter from one side to the other. Is there a way to do this?

Again, I appreciate your help. It is often quite difficult to dig out answers to questions from the book when you are new to a program. I have invested in the Total Training DVDs but that too is a long slow process
B
broga
Jan 7, 2004
You need a custom gradient.
Click to choose the gradient tool then click on the gradient that appears at the top of the window.
Double click on the left hand colour stop and choose your dark blue colour then double click on the right hand colour stop and choose your light blue colour etc.

www.micromountain.com
wrote in message
If this is it, all you have to do is use the marquee from corner to
corner
of the inside of the frame
then move the selection to the wall above the opening. (you just click inside the selection and drag up to the spot you want to clone) then alt/ctrl click in and drag back down into the opening. (which duplicates that spot on the wall). If you find that the frame is not straight you
can
edit/transform/perspective the whole image to "square up" the opening. John M
Thanks very much. Both suggested methods work. Now the follow up question is how I can take a selected rectangle of color and make it change in lightness from one side the other. For example, say I have a dark blue section selected and I want it to gradually become lighter from one side to the other. Is there a way to do this?

Again, I appreciate your help. It is often quite difficult to dig out answers to questions from the book when you are new to a program. I have invested in the Total Training DVDs but that too is a long slow process
B
broga
Jan 7, 2004
forgot to mention – delete any colour stops that appear in the middle by clicking on them and choosing delete

www.micromountain.com
wrote in message
If this is it, all you have to do is use the marquee from corner to
corner
of the inside of the frame
then move the selection to the wall above the opening. (you just click inside the selection and drag up to the spot you want to clone) then alt/ctrl click in and drag back down into the opening. (which duplicates that spot on the wall). If you find that the frame is not straight you
can
edit/transform/perspective the whole image to "square up" the opening. John M

J
johnpower
Jan 7, 2004
On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 21:23:45 +0000 (UTC), "broga" <ian’@(remove to e-mail)micromountain.com> wrote:

forgot to mention – delete any colour stops that appear in the middle by clicking on them and choosing delete

You PS experts are really helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. Thanks again.

John H. Power
J
jwm2
Jan 8, 2004
Yes, Broga is right.
Look in help or book to show you were gradient tool is.
There are several options you need to be aware of. You may also go from color to transparency, which I use a lot as well. There are several types of gradients, you need the linear one color to color. But Like Broga said, you need to select your forground color as well as your background color. You can do this by clicking the eyedrop tool onto your image, taking the color you desire. Hit the little switch area next to the "two overlapping color swatches" and they will switch place.
Take the eyedropper tool again and pick the second color by clicking on the document the color you would like to fad to. Now all you have to do is use the gradient tool to do your job. You will notice that you can drag from front color to back color or vice versa. Now click and drag the cursor from start to end where you want the gradient placed. While you do this you will see a line drawn where the
gradient will lie. I always do the wrong fad direction and have to delete and then drag from the other direction, it gets me every time. Also be carful if the colors are opposite (which they don’t sound like here) because they make a real muddy area in the middle which is gross. John.
J
jaSPAMc
Jan 8, 2004
On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 23:19:56 -0500, "jwm2" found these unused words floating about:

Yes, Broga is right.
Look in help or book to show you were gradient tool is.
There are several options you need to be aware of. You may also go from color to transparency, which I use a lot as well. There are several types of gradients, you need the linear one color to color. But Like Broga said, you need to select your forground color as well as your background color. You can do this by clicking the eyedrop tool onto your image, taking the color you desire. Hit the little switch area next to the "two overlapping color swatches" and they will switch place.
Take the eyedropper tool again and pick the second color by clicking on the document the color you would like to fad to. Now all you have to do is use the gradient tool to do your job. You will notice that you can drag from front color to back color or vice versa. Now click and drag the cursor from start to end where you want the gradient placed. While you do this you will see a line drawn where the
gradient will lie. I always do the wrong fad direction and have to delete and then drag from the other direction, it gets me every time.

Turn ON the "reverse" option.

Also be
carful if the colors are opposite (which they don’t sound like here) because they make a real muddy area in the middle which is gross. John.
J
jwm2
Jan 9, 2004
Thanks, for the tip on "reverse" I’ll use it a lot…. ;~) John M

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections