Posted By
Peter Bloch
Jan 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
HELP!

would really appreciate some help with this. I have a strange and new problem. I am trying to print to a specific size paper that fits some frames I got. The frames take a 10" x 13" sheet, so I cut some A3 paper to that size, and created my new PS image in that 10×13 size when I opened the new document. Then I went to Page Setup, and created that custom paper size and saved it. It shows correctly in the Page Setup window in all ways.

then I go to Print Preview and all looks right. Then I print the image and things get weird. It took me a while to figure out what was happening, and it is hard to describe. Essentially, the printer is printing part of the image. It is printing on just a portioin of the sheet of paper, that portioin being exactly the part that represents a
8.5 x 11 sheet. The rest of the image is missing, and that part of the
paper is of course empty.

Also I finally realized that the problem only happens with custom paper sizes over letter size. I tested a full A3 print and it worked fine.

So… what’s the scoop. Is this anomoly only happening to me? I would love some help, and i will be very grateful.

My setup is:
Mac OSX
Epson 2000
Photoshop CS

Peter Bloch

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
broga
Jan 6, 2004
I’m sure I’m missing the point here somehow but rather than cutting the paper first why don’t you print the image at 10" x 13" onto the A3 sheet and then cut it out

www.micromountain.com
"Peter Bloch" wrote in message
HELP!

would really appreciate some help with this. I have a strange and new problem. I am trying to print to a specific size paper that fits some frames I got. The frames take a 10" x 13" sheet, so I cut some A3 paper to that size, and created my new PS image in that 10×13 size when I opened the new document. Then I went to Page Setup, and created that custom paper size and saved it. It shows correctly in the Page Setup window in all ways.

then I go to Print Preview and all looks right. Then I print the image and things get weird. It took me a while to figure out what was happening, and it is hard to describe. Essentially, the printer is printing part of the image. It is printing on just a portioin of the sheet of paper, that portioin being exactly the part that represents a

Also I finally realized that the problem only happens with custom paper sizes over letter size. I tested a full A3 print and it worked fine.
So… what’s the scoop. Is this anomoly only happening to me? I would love some help, and i will be very grateful.

My setup is:
Mac OSX
Epson 2000
Photoshop CS

Peter Bloch

S
Swatch
Jan 7, 2004
Peter Bloch wrote:
HELP!

My setup is:
Mac OSX
Epson 2000
Photoshop CS

Peter Bloch

Are you setting the paper size as
User Defined in the Page Setup menu
before inputting the actual paper
dimensions in the driver? What
happens when you check Scale To Fit
Media in Print With Preview?

SWATCH (on a PC)
A
AKsteve
Jan 7, 2004
sounds like a printer problem.
you might want to check your printer settings and see if there is a way to over ride the standard settings.

I know my printer gets confused with weird size paper settings. I usually save my images as pdf’s and send them to my local print/copy shop and let them deal with it.

Sorry I am not any more help,
Steve

"Peter Bloch" wrote in message
HELP!

My setup is:
Mac OSX
Epson 2000
Photoshop CS

Peter Bloch

PB
Peter Bloch
Jan 7, 2004
yes, I am doing as Swatch suggests, on a Mac, it is called Custom Paper size in Settings choice (the top one) in Page setup. This amounts to the same thing as what Swatch mentioned for the PC. And I have tried all sorts of things with scale in Print with Preview.

More importatnly, I have discovered that this problem exists across programs. I set up an Appleworks doc in that same 10×13 dimension and the same thing happened. So it is either in the way Page Setup remembers the meaning of 10×13, or it is in the print drivers for my Epson 2000, or it is in the printer itself.

I did sovle the problem by doing the obvious: I increased the canvas size in PS to a larger standard size (B3 I think it was) and made sure the actual visual info that I want to print was in the correct part of the larger canvas, then just put the cut down 10×13 paper in the printer and itworked. Altho this is not that hard to do, it still seems like a worka -around and I would love to solve the problem.

Again, thanks, Peter

delete the KILLSPAM part of my email address to send me an email.
H
Hecate
Jan 8, 2004
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 07:56:11 -0500, Peter Bloch
wrote:

yes, I am doing as Swatch suggests, on a Mac, it is called Custom Paper size in Settings choice (the top one) in Page setup. This amounts to the same thing as what Swatch mentioned for the PC. And I have tried all sorts of things with scale in Print with Preview.

More importatnly, I have discovered that this problem exists across programs. I set up an Appleworks doc in that same 10×13 dimension and the same thing happened. So it is either in the way Page Setup remembers the meaning of 10×13, or it is in the print drivers for my Epson 2000, or it is in the printer itself.

I did sovle the problem by doing the obvious: I increased the canvas size in PS to a larger standard size (B3 I think it was) and made sure the actual visual info that I want to print was in the correct part of the larger canvas, then just put the cut down 10×13 paper in the printer and itworked. Altho this is not that hard to do, it still seems like a worka -around and I would love to solve the problem.
Again, thanks, Peter

When I’ve seen this happen to users on Windows machines it’s usually been because they’ve confused portrait and landscape modes and had the printer thinking one and the output software the other. Any chance it’s that?

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
N
nomail
Jan 8, 2004
Peter Bloch wrote:

My setup is:
Mac OSX
Epson 2000
Photoshop CS

Unfortunately, this is a known problem of the Epson printer drivers under MacOS X. They usually fail to accept custom paper sizes. I have checked with serveral people, including Epson representatives and they can only confirm the problem, but not offer a solution. To make things more odd: sometimes it does work. I have an Epson 7600 Pro and experience the same problems as you, but somehow I have also managed to get two custom sizes working. Don’t ask my whu these ones worked while other sizes didn’t, I really have no idea. I just upgraded to Panther (MacOS X 10.3) and did so with a clean install, so I have lost those sizes now. I still have to try whether or not upgrading to 10.3 helps. It could, because it’s an issue of how Apple software (for the custom sizes themselves) and Epson software (for the rest) work together.

An alternative could be to see whether CUPS drivers exist for your printer. They probably do (GIMP-PRINT). Perhaps they do work with custom paper sizes.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
H
Hecate
Jan 9, 2004
On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:20:52 +0100, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

Unfortunately, this is a known problem of the Epson printer drivers under MacOS X. They usually fail to accept custom paper sizes. I have checked with serveral people, including Epson representatives and they can only confirm the problem, but not offer a solution. To make things more odd: sometimes it does work. I have an Epson 7600 Pro and experience the same problems as you, but somehow I have also managed to get two custom sizes working. Don’t ask my whu these ones worked while other sizes didn’t, I really have no idea. I just upgraded to Panther (MacOS X 10.3) and did so with a clean install, so I have lost those sizes now. I still have to try whether or not upgrading to 10.3 helps. It could, because it’s an issue of how Apple software (for the custom sizes themselves) and Epson software (for the rest) work together.
<stands back in amazement> a Mac user admitting something is wrong on a Mac!

😉

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
N
nomail
Jan 9, 2004
Hecate wrote:

Your childish attempt to start another flame war has failed.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
H
Hecate
Jan 10, 2004
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 16:18:53 +0100, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

Hecate wrote:

Huh? Don;’t they teach you smileys where you come from? (I know you’ve cut the smiley out of your reply, but unless you did that deliberately to try and start another flame war….)

😉

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
N
nomail
Jan 10, 2004
Hecate wrote:

Huh? Don;’t they teach you smileys where you come from?

Contrary to popular belief, a smiley doesn’t undo everything you just wrote. You can still start a flame war or simply be offensive, even if you do add a smiley at the end of your message.

H
Hecate
Jan 11, 2004
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:15:01 +0100, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

Hecate wrote:

Huh? Don;’t they teach you smileys where you come from?

Contrary to popular belief, a smiley doesn’t undo everything you just wrote. You can still start a flame war or simply be offensive, even if you do add a smiley at the end of your message.

In that case, all I can say is that you must have had a sense of humour bypass. No one who reads what I post here would have assumed I was trying to start anything except, it seems, you.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
R
RTM
Jan 11, 2004
Didn’t fail altogether.
YOU responded.

Ron.

Johan W. Elzenga wrote in message
H
Hecate
Jan 12, 2004
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 07:39:34 -0000, "RTM"
wrote:

Didn’t fail altogether.
YOU responded.

Damn, I missed that response 🙂 Nice catch 🙂

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections