B
Posted By
Bobby77501
Dec 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a blank 8 1/2×11 document, 300dpi – and would like to draw either lines or rectangles of very specific dimensions (thickness is unimportant). If lines, they would be 2", 3", 4", 5", 6", 7", 8", and 10". If rectangles,
they would incorporate these dimensions. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks……..

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
jjs
Dec 10, 2004
"+++Bobby "O"+++" wrote in message
I have a blank 8 1/2×11 document, 300dpi – and would like to draw either lines or rectangles of very specific dimensions (thickness is unimportant). If lines, they would be 2", 3", 4", 5", 6", 7", 8", and 10". If
rectangles, they would incorporate these dimensions. Does anyone know how to do this?

Photoshop can do it, but not in the way one would expect from a strictly drawing-oriented (vector) program like Illustrator.

But do this: go to the SHAPES pallet and select ‘rectangle’. At the top of the screen appears a bar in which you can type in the exact dimensions you want. Do that, then click on the page. Voila, the shape. Now right-click on the shape you made and take ‘blending properties’ and specify ‘stroke’. You can change the color of the stroke (border) there. Repeat with whatever dimensions you like. Drag the shapes to whatever area you like.

To do lines, just select the line symbol from the shapes pallet.

Now if you want only the stroked part to appear and the rest to be transparent, that’s a separate question.
B
Bobby77501
Dec 11, 2004
I clicked on the Rectangle tool – but the bar where I can type in the dimensions didn’t appear. I must be doing something wrong. Any idea? Thanks…..

"jjs" wrote in message
I have a blank 8 1/2×11 document, 300dpi – and would like to draw either lines or rectangles of very specific dimensions (thickness is unimportant). If lines, they would be 2", 3", 4", 5", 6", 7", 8", and 10".
If rectangles, they would incorporate these dimensions. Does anyone know how to do this?

Photoshop can do it, but not in the way one would expect from a strictly drawing-oriented (vector) program like Illustrator.

But do this: go to the SHAPES pallet and select ‘rectangle’. At the top of the screen appears a bar in which you can type in the exact dimensions you want. Do that, then click on the page. Voila, the shape. Now right-click on the shape you made and take ‘blending properties’ and specify ‘stroke’. You can change the color of the stroke (border) there. Repeat with whatever dimensions you like. Drag the shapes to whatever area you like.
To do lines, just select the line symbol from the shapes pallet.
Now if you want only the stroked part to appear and the rest to be transparent, that’s a separate question.

J
jjs
Dec 11, 2004
I clicked on the Rectangle tool – but the bar where I can type in the dimensions didn’t appear. I must be doing something wrong. Any idea? Thanks…..

It is there. The screen is a small piece of realestate. Search it before you pester us again, okay?
B
Bobby77501
Dec 11, 2004
"jjs" wrote in message

It is there. The screen is a small piece of realestate. Search it before you pester us again, okay?

This is a rather crude reply to someone who is trying to learn something. I’ve searched all over and can’t find anyplace on the screen where it allows me to specify width and length. The only place I find that option is with the Crop tool. Furthermore, I have Java Script activated on my system – but when I try to use the Help function, it tells me Java Script is NOT activated – and I haven’t been able to fix this. I have Deke McClellan’s book – but also can’t find how to adjust the dimensions of a rectangle. By the way, I’d like the rectangle to be made up of four lines – not a solid block. If you consider my questions "pestering", please don’t read them or reply again. Otherwise, I would appreciate a reply. Thanks…………..
J
jjs
Dec 11, 2004
"jjs" wrote in message

This is a rather crude reply to someone who is trying to learn something. I’ve searched all over and can’t find anyplace on the screen where it allows me to specify width and length.

See the picture: http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/here.gif
B
Bobby77501
Dec 11, 2004
OK, thanks. Now I see that you have to also click on the down arrow next to the Custom Shape Tool to bring up the dimensions box. Not to be a wise guy, but you didn’t mention that in your first reply. Perhaps I should have specified that I’m using PS CS.

One more question, if you don’t mind: I’d also like to use the Line tool and draw lines of different lengths. I click on the line tool, then click on that down arrow and it brings up a box with width, length, start end and concavity. The top of the box also says Arrowheads. Again, Deke’s book doesn’t explain these options and I can’t figure them out. Also, instead of the arrowhead, I’d like to have just a straight line. Can you help me here? Thanks again…….

"jjs" wrote in message
"jjs" wrote in message

This is a rather crude reply to someone who is trying to learn something. I’ve searched all over and can’t find anyplace on the screen where it allows me to specify width and length.

See the picture: http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/here.gif
J
jjs
Dec 11, 2004
OK, thanks. Now I see that you have to also click on the down arrow next to the Custom Shape Tool to bring up the dimensions box. Not to be a wise guy, but you didn’t mention that in your first reply. Perhaps I should have specified that I’m using PS CS.

Those little arrows lead to a lot of good things. Look for them elsewhere, too.

One more question, if you don’t mind: I’d also like to use the Line tool and draw lines of different lengths. I click on the line tool, then click on that down arrow and it brings up a box with width, length, start end and concavity. The top of the box also says Arrowheads. Again, Deke’s book doesn’t explain these options and I can’t figure them out. Also, instead of the arrowhead, I’d like to have just a straight line. Can you help me here?

Sure. Just make sure the arrowhead boxes are not checked. That leaves a straight line.

May I ask whether you are going to a lot of this sort of drawing? If you are, then a strictly vector-oriented drawing program might be more appropriate.
B
Bobby77501
Dec 11, 2004
I don’t plan to do any more of this – it’s a one-time project. Mostly, I want to learn Photoshop. It’s great that there are people in these newsgroups to help.

Bob

"jjs" wrote in message

Those little arrows lead to a lot of good things. Look for them elsewhere, too.

One more question, if you don’t mind: I’d also like to use the Line tool and draw lines of different lengths. I click on the line tool, then click on that down arrow and it brings up a box with width, length, start end and concavity. The top of the box also says Arrowheads. Again, Deke’s book doesn’t explain these options and I can’t figure them out. Also, instead of the arrowhead, I’d like to have just a straight line. Can you help me here?

Sure. Just make sure the arrowhead boxes are not checked. That leaves a straight line.

May I ask whether you are going to a lot of this sort of drawing? If you are, then a strictly vector-oriented drawing program might be more appropriate.

T
tacitr
Dec 11, 2004
I have a blank 8 1/2×11 document, 300dpi – and would like to draw either lines or rectangles of very specific dimensions (thickness is unimportant). If lines, they would be 2", 3", 4", 5", 6", 7", 8", and 10". If rectangles,
they would incorporate these dimensions. Does anyone know how to do this?

Yes. Use Illustrator.

Photoshop is a bitmap editing program. It’s not a page layout or drawing program. What are you trying to do? Sounds like you’re using a hammer as a screwdriver; no wonder you’re getting frustrated and having problems!

Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
B
Bobby77501
Dec 11, 2004
My Epson 1280 Printer prints slightly smaller than the dimensions I specify. So I’m trying to see if there’s a correlation between what I specify and what actually prints. This is a one-time-only project. The same thing happens in other software like MS Word.

"Tacit" wrote in message
I have a blank 8 1/2×11 document, 300dpi – and would like to draw either lines or rectangles of very specific dimensions (thickness is unimportant).
If lines, they would be 2", 3", 4", 5", 6", 7", 8", and 10". If
rectangles,
they would incorporate these dimensions. Does anyone know how to do this?

Yes. Use Illustrator.

Photoshop is a bitmap editing program. It’s not a page layout or drawing program. What are you trying to do? Sounds like you’re using a hammer as a screwdriver; no wonder you’re getting frustrated and having problems!

Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
B
bhilton665
Dec 11, 2004

My Epson 1280 Printer prints slightly smaller than the dimensions I specify. So I’m trying to see if there’s a correlation between what I specify and what actually prints.

The 1280 should only do this if you’re trying to print a bit larger than that particular paper allows, given the margins … you should get a warning along the lines of "print size exceeds paper, clipping will occur" (or something like that). As an example, on one Epson I use you can’t print a centered 8×10" print with 1/2" borders on 8.5 x 11" paper since the rollers need 14 mm to "grab" the leading edge and 1/2" is 12.5 mm, so 1.5 mm gets clipped off … there are similar restrictions on the 1280.

Bill
B
Bobby77501
Dec 11, 2004
That’s not what’s happening with me. If I have a file that’s, for instance, 8 1/2"x11", 300dpi – and I want to print two 4"x6" photos (also 300dpi) on that file (single sheet of paper), then the two photos will print slightly smaller than 4"x6". If I crop a photo, the same thing happens. I think the problem must be with my printer driver – but I have the latest version. This causes me a problem especially when I want to frame the photos.

Bob

"Bill Hilton" wrote in message

My Epson 1280 Printer prints slightly smaller than the dimensions I specify.
So I’m trying to see if there’s a correlation between what I specify and what actually prints.

The 1280 should only do this if you’re trying to print a bit larger than that
particular paper allows, given the margins … you should get a warning along
the lines of "print size exceeds paper, clipping will occur" (or something like
that). As an example, on one Epson I use you can’t print a centered 8×10" print with 1/2" borders on 8.5 x 11" paper since the rollers need 14 mm to "grab" the leading edge and 1/2" is 12.5 mm, so 1.5 mm gets clipped off …
there are similar restrictions on the 1280.

Bill

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections