BC
Posted By
burn_cycle
Dec 16, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just for all of you who might not have jumped the gun and purchased one early, like myself, the new Sony cameras RAW files will not work in Photoshop. So you are left with TIFF or JPEG. Now assuming you did have the time to chop another step into your work flow, you can use Sony’s proprietary RAW software converter, which works, well, when it feels like it. A rather poor release in compatibility from Sony. The times I tried converting a raw file within Image Data Convere 75% of them returned a "not a recognizable file format," issue. But the camera itself was able to view the files fine. Most of the time the program just froze entirely, and the files it DID allow me to convert were hardly worth it with the lack of options. I am now just shooting in TIFF mode instead. A sad day.

I read a post about the 828 in the mac platfor of this photoshop forum and someone (from adobe?) replied that it was Sony’s responsibility to make available its raw format, because it was encrypted, so Photoshop could use it; but I disagree. Adobe should take it’s own responsibility for what works and what does not; hence Sony’s name is not on the Photoshop CS box. So I would love to see adobe take the initiative on this one and and not play the blame game leaving 828 users blowing in the wind.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CW
Colin_Walls
Dec 16, 2003
BC:

Sorry, this is OT …

What do you think of the 828? I have a 717 and I’m very happy with it, but 8MPx …

I herd that they were delaying release of the product until March. Did I hear wrong?
L
LenHewitt
Dec 16, 2003
but I disagree. Adobe should take it’s own responsibility for what works
and what does not;<<

And how are the Adobe engineers supposed to cope with an undocumented format, Pray? Unless they know the file structure, they cannot implement an import filter for it.
SB
Scott_Byer
Dec 16, 2003
The problem is you keep thinking of RAW as one format. It’s NOT. Think of it like "Sony’s proprietary format to force you to use their software".

The trouble is that some of these camera manufacterers are only not helping, but actively changing things from model to model to prevent things like the Camera Raw module from working with their cameras. Your best bet is to complain to to the camera manufacturers to provide format docmentation (and to not change the basic format so often) so that the camera support can find it’s way into the module faster.

-Scott
CW
Colin_Walls
Dec 16, 2003
Bear in mid that the 828 has a 4-colour CCD, which can only mean that the RAW format is going to be different in a big way.
BC
burn_cycle
Dec 16, 2003
RE Post 1:
The camera just started shipping yeterday and I like it much better than the 717. It is my secondary cam..but it is well worth the new investment. The 8megapixel jump is also very nice. You’ll notice a lot more flexibility with the shot in terms of croping and clarity, if you arent the "perfect" framer etc.

RE: Post 2
If Sony can make it happen with their software the information IS in fact documented. Adobe would simply have to get the information. I am praying for the support by the way. Do you think it will help?

RE: Post 3
True…raw is a very misleading cumbersome all in one term. And every camera interprits raw data differently. But adobe also has to be adaptive to new industry changes as it were. Otherwise they go from industry standard to "bundled software" that is lacking in flexibility.

RE post 4:
Well as someone who owns the camera…the raw format has NOTHING to do with the chip having 4 colors. That is an option within the menu (4 color or 3 color mode) that can be turned off an on. Even the regular raw data in 3 color mode doesnt work. So that is to a small point irrelevant.
CW
Colin_Walls
Dec 16, 2003
Thanks for the feedback on the camera.

I was simply speculating that RAW formats [whichever manufacturer] have probably been strongly oriented to dealing with sets of 3 values and would not scale to work with 4. Of course, Sony have had to come up with a new one and, if they are smart, it is scaleable.

I agree with you that we should get PS support. This is a "serious" camera and serious photographers use PS. So, if Sony are smart, they provide the info to Adobe. I hope you get your wish.

BTW, do you observe a significant improvement in the quality of images in RAW format over TIFF or JPEG? On the 717 I was pushed to find much improvement in TIFF over JPEG.
N
nunatak
Dec 16, 2003
My understanding is that Sony’s technology is "four colo(u)r capture capable"–but converted to a three colo(u)r RGB file. Sony claims the resulting files demonstrate truer hues.

Unfortunately, it seems that RAW files are jealously encrypted and not available to after-market vendors. This could be an impediment to market acceptance.

Has anyone determined the background noise levels from the production value F828 cameras? What do the shadow/low-light/darks look like? To date, most reviewers were asked by Sony not to comment on this.
J
jim-norris
Dec 16, 2003
wrote in message
RE: Post 2
If Sony can make it happen with their software the information IS in fact
documented. Adobe would simply have to get the information. I am praying for the support by the way. Do you think it will help?
It is certainly documented to Sony. Whether Sony will or will not release the information to Adobe is a very different question. Perhaps Adobe could reverse engineer the information, but that step is very time consuming. Jim
RA
Richard_A._Ross
Dec 16, 2003
You owning a F828 means zip if Adobe/Sony don’t give a damn (regarding CR). Kodak cameras are also not supported. But at least CR can work with Kodak files. What’s Adobe’s criteria to decide whether to support a RAW format?
SS
Stephanie_Schaefer
Dec 16, 2003
The most basic criteria is access to information on the raw format.

Thomas Knoll has been frequenting the Photoshop CameraRaw plugin forum (top of the Photoshop Windows forum list), you might want to post there for more information on this camera.

–Steph

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections