Where is my CMYK colors in Layer Effects?

KN
Posted By
konstantin_nsk
Dec 6, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am working in Photoshop 7.0.1. Windows XP Pro.

I need to use CMYK colors in my projects. I have problem:

I am creating Drop Shadow effect with only 100% Black (C0,M0,Y0,K100) for some layer in CMYK document and saving it in Layer Styles presets.

Until current Photoshop session I can apply that style to any layer in any CMYK document and I get right result: 100% pure Black in the Drop Shadow effect.

In the next session of Photoshop I create new CMYK document, create new Layer and try to use that style – I have missed my CMYK black. I get RGB colors instead. For example: C78, M68, Y69, K100.

What is worse that not only colors in effects converts into RGB mode (in CMYK doc!) – all gradients in layer styles too.

I saw that Photoshop CS have some bug – converts layer effects CMYK colors to RGB mode.

How to report this bug to Adobe?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

L
LenHewitt
Dec 6, 2003
Konstantin,

To get just 100K you need to create a custom CMYK profile with Black Generation set to Maximum
KN
konstantin_nsk
Dec 8, 2003
And for CMYK gradients and other CMYK colors which all converts into RGB mode after applying layer style I need to get ‘right’ profile for Black Generation! LOL!!!

It’s the BUG. And Photoshop CS has one. And Adobe ignore it.
L
LenHewitt
Dec 8, 2003
Konstantin,

It’s the BUG. <<

No it’s not a bug. It is working as designed. Photoshop is primarily an image editing application and images need a rich black to avoid looking ‘flat’ when printed in CMYK. The amount of the other channels added to the k channel is a function of the selected working CMYK profile.
KN
konstantin_nsk
Dec 9, 2003
Where am I?…

Ok, I was not precisely in my one word above: CMYK colors do not converts into RGB mode becouse it’s impossible – I am applying the layer effect within CMYK documents. CMYK color converts into RGB equivalent, into RGB value.

Pure black color above – was JUST for example.

I wrote that NOT only black color in layer effect converts into RGB values after restarting Photoshop. Any CMYK color too.

I wrote that during the current session of Photoshop applying layer effect with CMYK colors is work properly – CMYK color remains CMYK color: 100%K = 100%K, 100%M = 100%M, and so on.

Moreover: Photoshop offers pure 100%K (nor RGB equivalent) for Drop Shadow effect BY DEFAULT in CMYK document.

I wrote that ONLY after restarting Photoshop ALL CMYK colors in layer effects converts into RGB equivalent

Ok. Attempt number 3:

A Layer Effect ‘Color Overlay’ containes the CMYK color: C100,M0,Y100,B40 – looks like deep green. I saved it in Layer Style presets. Photoshop is restarting. Then I am trying to apply that layer effect for a layer in CMYK document. I get: C81%,M24%,Y97%,K33%.

I put: C100%,M0%,Y100%,K40%.

Restarting Photoshop.

I get: C81%,M24%,Y97%,K33%.

Is it "working as designed"? Get me an answer.

It’s a BUG.

If you don’t agree – give me a way to maintain CMYK colors (NOT ONLY BLACK – ANY CMYK COLOURS!) in the layer effects in Photoshop.
KN
konstantin_nsk
Dec 9, 2003
BTW, I am not a novice in pre-press design and CMYK colors is my second nature. You don’t need to heal me. I know what how looks pure black, and how looks blending black. I just to get a full control over colors in the layer effects.

Now after applying a layer style to a layer I need to play over all active affects to correct all colors inculde gradients.
L
LenHewitt
Dec 9, 2003
Konstantin,

Now that you have explained your problem in rather more detail, I think I can see what you are doing.

Set the Blending Mode in the layer styles d/box to colour before saving your style…..
KN
konstantin_nsk
Dec 9, 2003
In other words you agree that it’s a bug and now you are suggesting for me a solution.

Lol, … set the ‘overlay color’ to color blending mode before saving…

Do you heard that I saw "all gradients too" or not?

I need to keep my CMYK colors (including Pantone process coated) in the Layer Styles in appropriate blend modes by design of layer style. I cannot to do it.

Your solution above is joke. At least.

Because it’s the BUG!

How to report this bug to Adobe?
PP
Peace_Pipe
Dec 9, 2003
ITS NOT A BUG!
L
LenHewitt
Dec 9, 2003
Konstantin,

All advice here comes with 100% money-back guarantee…..

If you want to talk to Adobe use one of the support options:

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@25.yk5abb09LRY.21 @.2ccdefa6
KN
konstantin_nsk
Dec 10, 2003
bITS NOT A BUG!

That is corrupting CMYK colors in layer effects is right works of Photoshop?

Could you to confirm it?
KN
konstantin_nsk
Dec 10, 2003
I know that CMYK-people is minor minority of Photoshop users and their voices is voices in the wilderness. Although adv slogans like "image-editing software for professionals" loud rings. But I cannot understand those people who deny the evident BUG.

You themselves can verify this bug. Indeed you have Photoshop. So what you do deny?

Or do you assert that it is MUST BE?

I could to say more, for example: in the file of the layer style I saw that color data is stored in the CMYK values, moreover – Pantone colors is stored in the names of the Pantone book colors. Converting to RGB values occurs IN THE MOMENT OF APPLYING.

But I am not an idiot to continue this talk.

This is bug, and Adobe IGNORE it in 3 times, versions: 6, 7 and 8. Waiting for 9…
PP
Peace_Pipe
Dec 10, 2003
Every thing I do in phothsop ends up CMYK.
KN
konstantin_nsk
Dec 10, 2003
OK. Show me a way to keep CMYK colours (including gradient colours) in layer effect PERMANENTLY!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections