Posted By
lurisia_dale
Dec 3, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

This is a simple question. I have a simple .gif graphic whose current color is blue with white highlights (various shades of blue). You can see the image here:

<http://www.geocities.com/hotquietday/>

I want to create an exact copy of this image but in a different color, whose RGB code I know. So instead of being blue with white highlights it will be, say, red with white highlights. But this is not something I want to eyeball using Image -> Adjust. I need the base color of red to be an exact shade determined by an RGB code (or any equivalent code). Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
lurisia

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
dave_milbut
Dec 3, 2003
hue saturation with the colorize box checked. or you can paint with the brush/tool in color mode. the brush method should allow precise control over the color. not sure the hue sat method will, but that’s the method I’d prefer to use for something like that. maybe someone else has an exact method to do it.
JS
John_Slate
Dec 3, 2003
….so you know the RGB numbers you want to use, but the question is, in which part of the image? The darkest, one would guess…

You might try making a selection based on the red or green channel, and fill it with your new numbers.
LD
lurisia_dale
Dec 3, 2003
Yes, the darkest. I think the method of using an alpha mask based on red or green channel would work perfectly if the original color were pure red or green. In fact, if I could create the colorized version of a grayscale mask I’d be done. I would need the grayscale analog of white to be the base color I’d like to change, and the analog of black to be white. That is, white areas of the image are completely protected, and the base color is completely exposed. Then I could just paint bucket of that mask with my new color. Is something like this possible?

Thanks,
Lurisia
LD
lurisia_dale
Dec 3, 2003
I figured it out!

You create 3 new alpha channels by dragging the R, G, B channel onto the new channel icon. Then you <ctrl>-click each of them to the unmasked selection. So to solve my original problem you simple:

create a new layer the same size as the original and fill it with the new color (whatever you need). Then you <ctrl> click the three alpha channels you created, and pour white into the selected portion.

That it.

Lurisia

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections