JD
Posted By
Jon_Dorfman
Nov 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just bought the Photoshop Cs upgrade, bu ti do not know if it will work for my version of 3.0. it says 7.0 and earlier but im not real sure.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME IF IT WILL WORK???!!!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 30, 2003
Yes, it will but you’ll need to call Adobe for special instructions.

Bob
JD
Jon_Dorfman
Nov 30, 2003
Bob thanks for telling me. i was wondering if you might know the instructions and can post them beacause the hotline isnt open till monday and i really want to use it!

Thx
-Jon
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 30, 2003
Jon, try Adobe Customer Support at 1-800-492-3623. I think they need to give you an unlock code to enter for the serial #. There are no special instructions.
JD
Jon_Dorfman
Nov 30, 2003
thx we got a lady called monica and she told us we could and no serial number needed
K
Kalavinka
Nov 30, 2003
I just did this from Photoshop 4.0. (Heretofore, my photo-editing needs haven’t been terribly sophisticated.)

So here’s what happened:

1) I look at the advertising and on the box and it says "7.0 and earlier."

2) I buy the software and try to install it only to find that I get a verification of prior qualifying version dialogue occuring during the "Install Shield" setup which states very clearly that this software will only upgrade 5.0 and later!

3) I then try all three verification techniques in the dialogue (insert prior qualifying CD; let CS search for qualifying previous install on your drive; "browse" to show CS which folder to look in for the previous qualifying install.) All of them come up with an install disabling error message which claims I have no qualifying software and maybe I’d like to call customer service.

4) I call customer service, spend a lot of time on hold, get one friendly but incorrectly-informed support rep in Beaverton who can’t believe there isn’t a button to push on that error message which would lead me to the appropriate number to call. She forces me to go through it a couple times on the phone and then finally believes me.

5) She then tells me to call a tech support number, supplying me with a case number, telling me that I’ll need their help to get authorization to install this way. (A tinge of the "You must be trying to pull something off attitude.)

6) The tech support guy: After hearing my story and going off for a while to ask a supervisor, finally comes back and says, "Sorry I can’t help you. You’ll have to call this "code-generation" number. Give her this case number and code-generation authorization number, etc."

7) OK, then I get this really surly woman in New York who really does act like those really funny parodies of New York City waiters who get high off of dissing out-of-towners. She spends a while putting me through the routine and we finally succeed in getting a code which "sticks" and produces a successful install. She informs me I’ll have to go through this whole routine again and get another "unlock" code again if I ever want to try to reinstall!

Summary: Time on hold, etc. couldn’t have been much less than two full hours. The first two reps were misinformed on how to handle, though reasonably courteous. The last one clearly belonged in some other kind of job.

So, yes, you can install it OK. Just set aside a couple hours to do it.

I can’t wait till I try to put it on my laptop, too.

Don’t be so sure you won’t need your prevous version’s serial number. We seemed to spend an inordinate amount of time perusing and updating my "user-account" at Adobe, verifying that I in fact have "registered" licenses on Acro, PS, ID, AI, etc. Kind of got the third degree for having some licensed in my own name and some in the name of my previous sole-proprietership business. Anyway, I passed. Came out it feeling like I’d just barely been accepted for job at MacDonald’s after having to go through three long interviews.

Have fun.

Cheers,
Dharmamitra
D
deaton
Dec 1, 2003
Going from PS3 to PSCs is just a huge change! Let us know how it works out for you.
DS
Dave_Spoula
Dec 1, 2003
Jon,
Below is my previous post concerning PS3 and upgrading …..

"PS 3.04 loaded just fine on XP Pro Sp 1 for me. Unfortunately it would not run. Was getting "Not enough memory …" error. Looking through the forum I found my 768 meg of ram was too much and needed to pull 256 meg out. The program ran fine after that. A "Thank you" to the forum members for that.

As Robert L. indicates, the upgrade to PS/cs will need Tech support to install. Three to four minutes tops was all it took after the Tech verified my previous registration. It went very well for me and the Tech was very knowledgeable."

Hope this helps,
DS
T
tomh
Dec 5, 2003
Hmm. Any experiences with ps 4.0?

I have a educational version that I bought back in college that I’d like to use to upgrade to a full version, but I have a couple of concerns about it.

First being, of course, will it work? Second being, will it upgrade it t to a full version, or will it still be "for educational use only"?

Thanks,
-Tom

wrote:

Jon,
Below is my previous post concerning PS3 and upgrading …..
"PS 3.04 loaded just fine on XP Pro Sp 1 for me. Unfortunately it would not run. Was getting "Not enough memory …" error. Looking through the forum I found my 768 meg of ram was too much and needed to pull 256 meg out. The program ran fine after that. A "Thank you" to the forum members for that.

As Robert L. indicates, the upgrade to PS/cs will need Tech support to install. Three to four minutes tops was all it took after the Tech verified my previous registration. It went very well for me and the Tech was very knowledgeable."

Hope this helps,
DS

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections