M
Posted By
mrlucky0
Nov 29, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I select a section as a source and patch it, the colors turn out all warped. Has anyone else had this problem?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Nov 29, 2003
I just had someting similar happen in a greyscale image. I tried to replace a corner of an image which contained a lot of dirt specks with a segment next to it (all uniform sky tone) and I got this god-awful splotch of graininess. It was simpler and more accurate to use a large Clone brush.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 29, 2003
the patch (and healing) tools tend to pull data from outside or very close to the edges of a selection. more careful selecting is usually the cure.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Nov 29, 2003
No cure dave. The patch I tried to use was as tight as I could make it and cover the affected area.

I had another try at it, identical to the example, an anomaly in the water. By the time I got it right, it would have been cloned long ago.

I suppose it has it’s uses, but so far, the clone has better control.

I haven’t tried the healing brush yet. I wonder if it can cover up some very faint scan lines…….
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 29, 2003
I suppose it has it’s uses, but so far, the clone has better control.

that’s true larry. you don’t use a hammer to turn a screw! 🙂

seriously though, when you DO get a chance to use it in proper context, you’ll be amazed.

I recently "patched" out a manhole cover in a shot of my Monica and Belle at Disney. Amazing! Seconds and the match with the surrounding pavement is perfect! I LOVE the new preview you get so you can choose just the right source.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Nov 29, 2003
I don’t know about that! My dad used to hammer a screw 1/2 way in, then finish it off with one of those Stanly push/pull screwdrivers.
MA
Mark_Allen
Nov 29, 2003
Aye Lawrence, but that’s dad’s. Not real humans. LOL!
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Nov 30, 2003
I went pop-eyed when he showed me that trick when I was a kid.

I do have his Stanley. A most treasured possession.
EI
Enrique_Ivern
Dec 1, 2003
In my experience you’ll have to develop a feeling of how to use the patch tool. This is quite difficult to explain in words but let’s try:
If your problem area is very near a division of tones you’ll have to select a patch area that includes both, then move along the division line to another area that also includes both values.
Also remember that when you select your area you can feather that selection, and after patching if the result is not satisfactory you can try to fade (edit>fade)
In the case of a border, you may want to try this: enlarge your canvas,select an area that includes both a part of your original image and part of the new border, then slide downwards or laterally to look for a ‘from’ area, moving along the border exacly in a vertical or horizontal line.
I know I’m not very clear, but give it a try.
This tool is fantastic.
BL
Bill_Lamp
Dec 1, 2003
The Healing Brush will often remove those faint lines better than the Clone Tool. Sooner or later I’ll be able to figure out in advance which will work best on a particular situation. (I hope)

Bill

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections