Posted By
North_Krimsly
Nov 23, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
All,

Photoshop CS is crashing during some 16-bit layer operations. One example is right-click on a layer, select Blending Options– and crash. But the other times I think I was moving an adjustment layer….it doesn’t happen every time.

Photoshop comes up with a message box stating "couldn’t complete the operation because of a program error". After that I get the error box for every operation and I have to exit and re-start. This is really annoying. Anyone else have this happen or know of a fix? Is there a bug reporting link on the web and is there a way to save the program state at crash time so I can send it to tech support?

I am running Windows XP SP1 (with latest patches), on a 2.8 mhz P4 with 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HD with lots of free space. I am working with one 18 MB file (with 6 adjustment layers, no masks and 2 copies of the background). I’ve configured Photoshop to use 80% of available RAM. I don’t think its a machine resource problem.

Photoshop 7 was really stable. I hope this gets fixed soon.

Thanks for anyone that can help!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CL
Christopher_Lewis
Nov 23, 2003
Hi. I have been through very similar experience. It seems that CS is very unstable in certain configurations. I sat with an Adobe tech representative for 45 mins while my system consistently crashed on 16bit images… So, he sent me the trouble shooting guideline. I am new to this forum, so instead of posting the file – which I am not sure I can do? – the name of the document is:

Adobe Systems Technical Document 326146
Title: Troubleshooting system errors or freezes in Photoshop (7.0 and CS on Windows XP)

If you do a search in the tech document section on the number 326146 then it will come up and you can step your way through a lengthy process to determine what is wrong… However, you should not go all the way to the end where it reccomends formatting your hard drive – call adobe before doing that!!

Chris

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections