Tip on making the most perfect work paths?

DC
Posted By
Dale_Cornibe
Nov 21, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I would like to take a Photoshop image, use magic wand or other selection tool, and make a work path for each selection so I can export them to Illustrator, thereby converting a rasterized graphic into a vector graphic. So far, no matter what I have done, I cannot make perfectly smooth work paths that follow the shape of the rasterized graphic exactly. No matter what I set the tolerance on the magic wand, the work path always looks dinked up. What can I do?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

SF
Scott_Falkner
Nov 21, 2003
You doing the only thing you can if you don’t want to redraw the paths by hand with Illustrator’s or Photoshop’s pen tools.

I recommend you ditch that plan, roll up your sleeves, and get into the pen tool. Anything less will be lousy.
J
JasonSmith
Nov 21, 2003
either that or use masks/alpha channels instead of paths.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Nov 22, 2003
Use a high resolution photoshop file. You can blur the image to simplify the path from the start. Use the Smooth filter in Illustrator to simplify the path further. It wont be totally accurate, but it will be smooth.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Nov 23, 2003
Yes, you can also use other filters that simplify the image to give a special effect. But blurring helps a lot to smooth out the selection.

If you ALT+click onthe make work path, you can also set the "sensitivity" of the path.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections