JD
Posted By
John_De_Bord
Nov 12, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Anyone wanna take a stab at this before I pull my hair out? I am having a VERY BIG perplexing prob in PS 7 using either the art history brush or history brush. Let’s see if ya all can help before I pull my hair out.
Basically, I am trying to do a painting using the art history brush, BUT all I GET is the solid color white! It’s like someone has clicked on the brush tool and selected the white color and is simply painting over the image. This is totally nerve racking. I don’t have any color that is white even selected. Also, anything else other than the brush set to "normal" mode is changing it to black and white. And the setting for darken does nothing at all. I am REALLY frustrated trying to figure out what the prob is, and YES the image is on color! Also the image layer is selected. I went ahead and posted about this on wetcanvas.com that includes a screen shot of said problem < http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid =1736196#post1736196> needless to say this is driving me totally loopy. And yes the correct layer IS selected. It DOES seem to work only when all layers are flattened.
Anyone wanna take a stab at this? Thanks all!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

HP
Helen_Polson
Nov 12, 2003
Hi John,
Got it (at least I thin I might have!) 🙂 Here’s what it says about the art history brush in the help file…

"Like the history brush, the art history brush uses a specified history state or snapshot as the source data."

So at the moment I bet the tool doesn’t have a history state to sample from (hence the white). Run a filter or something, then click in the little square area on the left hand side of the history state name to select that state as the one to sample from. Once you’re sampling from the right history state you should be all systems go to experiement with the effect.

Hope that helps!
EW
ekim_wahs
Nov 12, 2003
Looking at the posts from the link it appears you are creating a new doc with white background and pasting into it. When you create a new doc the history source is based on the snapshot of the new doc, hence the white paint. If you look in the History Palette it will show you what the Source for the History Brush is. You need to create a new source either by selecting from a History state, or by creating a new snapshot and setting the source to that. When you create a new snapshot if you hold down the alt/option key when you click on the new snapshot icon you have the option to select whether to take a snapshot of the full document, merged layers or the currently selected layer. Using the current and merged layer options are nice because you do not get the message that you cannot use the Brush because the History state does not contain a corresponding layer if you add a layer to the doc.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections