SD
Posted By
Sam_Dutton
Nov 12, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using Photoshop 6.01 on Windows NT4.

When I try to save onto a network server from Save for Web, I sometimes get the message "Could not write the file because a file by this name already exists", event though there is no file with the name chosen (and, if there were, Photoshop should should ask me if I want to overwrite the existing file).

I’ve also experienced this when using File > Save As…

I know there’s been a lot of discussion of this bug in newsgroups, but I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to get around it other than on an individual file basis.

I need to save onto the network in order to ensure that my work is backed up (and I think I’ve seen the problem on local drives). I’ve tried deleting the Prefs file and reinstalling Photoshop, but I still get the problem.

I’m surprised there’s nothing in the Knowledgebase about this — or if there is, I haven’t found it.

Thanks

Sam Dutton

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 13, 2003
Save to the local hard disk, then copy to the file server.
SD
Sam_Dutton
Nov 14, 2003
Save to the local hard disk, then copy to the file server

That’s what I do — but the number of times I’ve wound up forgetting to copy back to the server, or got mixed up over file versions…

Is there any evidence that this bug has been fixed in version 7?

It’s pretty serious and, even if it results from some Windows quirk, I’ve never encountered it in any other application. Very odd: seems to be intermittent and difficult to reproduce. I happened to encounter the problem yesterday when our head of IT was standing next to me — asked him to have a look, and then of course, it wouldn’t go wrong!

Sam
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 14, 2003
if you can do without the ps icon thumbnails, you can rename psicon.dll to something like psicon.old then reboot.
SD
Sam_Dutton
Nov 14, 2003
if you can do without the ps icon thumbnails, you can rename psicon.dll
to something like psicon.old then reboot

Interesting. Is the problem with the thumbnails?

Sam
AJ
Amanda_Jones
Nov 14, 2003
This bug has not been fixed in v. 7 – I’ve encountered it, too. Maybe in CS?
DM
Derrick_Moore
Nov 14, 2003
have fun
http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@164.iCribOetEwo.1 4@.1de7f870/0 BTW, they got rid of the Psicon.dll in CS

Interesting. Is the problem with the thumbnails?
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 14, 2003
Since the problem isn’t in Photoshop, it can’t be fixed in Photoshop.
SD
Sam_Dutton
Nov 18, 2003
Since the problem isn’t in Photoshop, it can’t be fixed in Photoshop

The problem may not be Adobe’s "fault", but we only ever get it from Photoshop and, of course, noone cares which company is to blame when a computer doesn’t do what they ask of it!

As bugs go, I know it sounds somewhat trivial but not being able to routinely save files really interrupts users’ workflow and has several times led people here to overwrite files or save the wrong versions, because of manually trying to coordinate local and remote copies.

Stating the obvious, I guess that something is being done to the files by an application outside Photoshop, maybe by anti-virus or auditing software or whatever.

If I can do anything to help try to fix this, please let me know.

Sam
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 18, 2003
If I can do anything to help try to fix this, please let me know.

search for psicon.dll and rename it psicon.old, then restart your system. BUT you will lose the ps image icon when viewing in Large Icon mode in windows explorer.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections