Posted By
Howard_Goldberg
Nov 11, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Folks,

This may be off topic but I know most of us print with inkjet. I use Red River Polar Gloss.

At a workshop the other day I saw a photo that had been drymounted to canvas and then had clear, thick acrylic brushed onto it. The stretched canvas print had a very painterly appearance. Here’s the rub! when you try to paint acrylic on an inkjet print the acrylic attacks the picture.

Does anyone know of a coating material compatible with ink jet images that could be used as a barrier between the image and the acrylic coat. Alternatively, does anyone know of a compatible clear material that will produce the painterly impression directly without damaging the inkjet image?

Bob Goldberg

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 11, 2003
Don’t know the answer bob, but you could try protecting it first by using several light coatings of a spray acrylic, prior to brushing it on. I’m not sure about bleed and so forth, I’m just thinking out loud.

Peace,
Tony
J
JohnSWhite
Nov 11, 2003
Check out the black & white forum Bob, and search Hydrocote. Make sure you use a mask if you end up spraying it. I haven’t used it myself yet, still in my in tray…. but all the discussion is there and it sounds as though it will do the job.
John
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Nov 12, 2003
Bob,

This is just a hobbyist’s answer…that is, I don’t know how bad this migh actually be if you’re concerned about prints to be sold, but I’ve used Krylon UV-Clear acrylic spray with good results. The prints I’ve treated have been printed by my Epson Stylus 1270 onto both cotton canvas and watercolor media for inkjet printers. My goal was just to see if the spray might actually prolong the life of prints that aren’t framed behind glass and the canvas prints in particular. Admittedly I’ve not done too many prints this way, but I’ve got one that I printed 2 years ago and I can’t say I’ve seen any problems with it yet.

Regards,

Daryl
M
marionbabich
Nov 12, 2003
For my canvas inkjet prints I use Krylon UV-acrylic clear spray. For my gloss and matte prints I started using a new spray called Premier Art Print Shield. It protects the print from moisture and is a UV coating. A little pricey at $14 a can but worth it. After the canvas print is coated you can use most artist gels to give that painted brush stroke look.

Marion

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections