Posted By
Daryl Pritchard
Nov 6, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello All,

If this has been asked before, pardon my asking again and not just doing a search: I received and installed the PS CS Upgrade today. I have not yet activated it, which my understanding from another thread is that one’s PS7 serial number is entered during that process. Or, maybe I misunderstood the comment and that it is only the PS CS serial number. What surprised me is that installing the upgrade itself did not require any proof of PS7 ownership and I’m curious if that is strictly part of the activation process now? This also left me curious if somehow I might’ve been shipped an incorrectly packaged "full" version rather than an upgrade since the only labeling that denotes "Upgrade" is on the box itself and, unlike PS7, not also on the CD.

Given the concerns about piracy and the implementation of activation, I’d have thought that the proof of ownership during installation would still be required as a 2nd technique to help establish some degree of piracy control, albeit relatively little.

Thanks,

Daryl

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 6, 2003
If PS 7.0 is already installed the installer finds it and procedes. I don’t know what happens if it isn’t.

Bob
JH
Jake_Hannam
Nov 6, 2003
Daryl,

Like Bob said, it finds and identifies a previous copy and just proceeds. Previous versions worked similarly.

Also, in previous versions, if you did not have a previous version installed on your system, you could (depending on the version) either enter the serial number manually or put the original CD in the drive. Only once, with an old, old version of some Adobe app (don’t remember which one it was), I had to call Adobe and they walkied me through the install after I gave them a verifiable serial number.

That part is, and always has been, relatively painless. Activation may well turn out to be a different story …

Jake
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Nov 6, 2003
Thanks Bob & Jake,

I know that’s been typical of past installations, yet I thought the PS7 upgrade still prompted for the PS6 CD even if PS6 already existed on the system. Maybe I’m just continuing to lose my memory. Answering all these questions about the Ctrl key will do that! ha!

Apart from that, it still surprised me that only the box indicated Upgrade and not the CD itself.

Daryl

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections