JV
Posted By
Jan_Van_den_Kieboom
Nov 4, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can someone who is using CS tell me if they have seen any perormance changes (either way) in going from PS 7 to CS? I have a 2.4 GHz P4 with 1 GB of RAM. Trying to decide whether I need to keep PS 7 installed.

Thanks,

Jan

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 4, 2003
With a P4 2.6 and one gig of RAM no noticable difference, but I would still leave PS 7 installed just in case.

Bob
CM
Cory McNutt
Nov 4, 2003
Other than slower startup time I haven’t really noticed any difference working with the program running on the same machine as yours. It does seem like the scroll on the File Browser and bringing up the thumbnails is a tad slower. But, I agree with Bob, I’d keep PS7 for a while… what does it hurt?
W
wes
Nov 4, 2003
I can’t tell. It loads in about 15 seconds and everything seems to work about the same. However, the browser seems to be a bit faster in CS.
DT
Doug_Tomlinson
Nov 4, 2003
I am noticing that CS is running considerably slower than v7.0 & I am also experiencing similar issues to others with the cursor not responding correctly…only in my case, I have noticed that it DOES in fact hinder performance. Everything just seems to creep along as though I’m working on an old pentium I. I am running CS on a Dell Precision Workstation with 2.8Ghz Xeon & 1GB Ram. What gives?!?!
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 4, 2003
Doug – what OS? The only performance problem reports we have are on Win2K (and we haven’t been able to reproduce them at all). If you’re on Win2K, I suggest you post details to the existing thread (not this one) already discussing the problem.
DT
Doug_Tomlinson
Nov 4, 2003
Chris – I appreciate you taking time to comment. I am running Windows XP. I have dedicated 800MB of Ram to Photoshop but still see seriously slow performance. I have run duplicate commands using PS 7 just as comparison and the speeds are blowing CS away. The biggest "slow downs" that I notice are in using the file browser and most annoyingly, the mouse pointer/cursor seems slow to change when moving from one area to another…ie: moving from the image to the tool palette, etc.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks – Doug1tx
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 4, 2003
Doug – either you don’t have the same RAM allocations as PS 7, or we’ll need to get a lot more information. Again, we haven’t seen any slowdowns on XP.

But the slow cursor change could indicate a problem with your video card driver, or some other DLL on your system (ALWAYS check for spyware and background apps).
I
ID._Awe
Nov 4, 2003
If you need to know if you have spyware you can Spybot (a free app) from this address: <http://spybot.eon.net.au/>

I run it ocassionally for peace of mind.
RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 4, 2003
I run it ocassionally for peace of mind.

I run it weekly for the same reason. 🙂

Bob
I
ID._Awe
Nov 5, 2003
Well it has not turned up anything since I started using it about a year ago. Same with defragging and thorough virus scanning, only do that ocassionally too.

Only scan email attachments everytime.
VK
Vladimir_Kordic
Nov 5, 2003
Just installed CS today and have also noticed some weirdness with the cursor similar to what I saw back with Illustrator 7 way back when. Moving files around onscreen likewise displays some stange artifacts.

There also seems to be a hickup with the file browser not displaying certain previews. Toggling back and forth between two folders actually ELIMINATES more and more thumbnails from the browser as the hard drive grinds away. It only happens with a few folders and with both PSD and JPG files (so it can’t be file size) although some files display as blanks and others show the generic file icon. PS7 was aboslutely flawless on my Dell system which btw is a P4/2.4 with 2GB ram on XPh. This is a dedicated workhorse with no internet access.

Overall however I can’t believe all the new stuff in this edition and can’t wait to try them out. I’m liking most of what I see and hope the workflow isn’t severely affected.
VK
Vladimir_Kordic
Nov 5, 2003
Went back to the CS file browser to see if things settled down and unfortunately there’s definately something whacky going on. Most files view properly however a few folders send the GENERATING PREVIEW… bar at the bottom into a frenzy where it either keeps counting or blinks wildly freezeing the browser. Restarting the computer didn’t do anything but I did notice it took 18sec to restart CS vs 4sec for PS7.

Tried the 7 browser and the same files that CS had problems displaying, previewed normally.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 5, 2003
could it be that cs needs to generate it’s own cache for each folder, even if one had previously been created in 7? if so, i’d expect the browser to settle down after all files were added or updated to the cs browser cache.
CS
Carol_Steele
Nov 5, 2003
Which video card?? Have you been to the manufacturers web site and checked for the latest drivers??

Carol
(Posted from the UK)
VK
Vladimir_Kordic
Nov 5, 2003
The way the hard drive was crunching away on the folders in question it’s as if CS was doing reconstructive surgery. But why would files that were already initially displayed start to disappear after a 2nd/3rd toggle? Right now my one folder is down to a handful of images being visible out of approx 40.
VK
Vladimir_Kordic
Nov 5, 2003
Hi Carole – can’t say that I have. Will do so tomorrow.
IL
Ian_Lyons
Nov 5, 2003
The operation FB in CS is NOT anything like the same as in PS7. When you open FB in CS it will generate a fast preview for each of the thumbnails, then it builds the metadata file followed by high quality preview images (depending upon number and size this can take some time). The default (at least in final beta) file size that could be previewed in FB was 200MB; so files larger than this will not generate the high quality preview image.

You can configure CS to build the high quality previews in the background by activating the option "allow background processing" in the Prefernces>File Browser dialog. You can also alter the file size that will generate high quality previews. However, a note of caution regarding background processing and increasing the file size limit for HQ prreviews – both can suck the life blood out of performance with CS appearing to run VERY slow (delayed curser movement, etc.)

Also note that FB is now fully colour managed which means that the high quality previews can appear significantly different from the fast preview thumbnails. This is usually much more obvious when viewing a folder with digital camera files.

To open an image from FB whilst also closing FB itself you need to hold down the Alt key.
VK
Vladimir_Kordic
Nov 5, 2003
Thanks Ian for the info especially with regards to setting preferences.

I re-examined most of my image files on the hard drive and this issue seems to linger with only 3-4 folders thus far. One folder did indeed have a a few 400MB files, so that explains that. Where thumbnails in the FB appeared as a blank box, I could bring up a preview by clicking on the blank box. FB then brought up the image preview and the metadata. Where the thumbs appeared as a generic icon, I could not make the preview image appear either in the browser or in the preview box to the left. Metadata however does show for these images when the boxes are clicked.

What’s weird is in two of the folders the exact same file numbers are affected. IMG_0001.JPG to IMG_0006.JPG The images in these two folders were shot about a month apart in 2002 using a Canon G2. Images using either a Canon D60 or 10D seem fine and other folders where the G2 was used also seem to be unaffected.

For now I bumped up the minimum file size restriction to 500MB and shut off HIGH QUALITY preview in Preferences.

The cursor and strobo file movement issues are minor and not worth the hassle of downloading a 9MB video driver upgrade on a really pathetic dialup that keeps blowing me off. Once cable arrives at years end for sure.
W
wes
Nov 5, 2003
Nice Ian. I was trying to find a way to do that and here it is. Thanks. Holding down the Alt key and double clicking does the job for me.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 5, 2003
The cursor and strobo file movement issues are minor and not worth the hassle of downloading a 9MB video driver upgrade on a really pathetic dialup that keeps blowing me off.

call and ask them to send you a disk. it’ll probably be faster.
MM
Mike_Morrell
Nov 6, 2003
I have similar performance problems on XP with PS CS(dual 2.8 xeon, 1GB ram Matrox 750 video card) during file browser getting thumbnails, previews, etc. I am using a fresh OS install with only a few Adobe apps loaded and the lates, as of last week, the latest drivers for the Matrox video card. I don’t think we can blame Matrox on this problem. When I run PS 7.01 on the same install, this does not happen and, oh by the way, new thumbnails update much faster too in PS7.
TF
Thomas_Fors
Nov 6, 2003
In the file browser, select File/Build Cache For Subfolders and it will crunch away and build the thumbnail cache. You can do this for an entire disk, but expect it to work for a while — do it before you go to bed. After it’s done, the file browser will be much faster.

–Tom
D
DavidMadison
Nov 6, 2003
Is there a way to simply turn off and never use the file browser so none of these issues related to the file browser come into play?
ND
Nick_Decker
Nov 6, 2003
Chris Cox mentioned a thread where CS performance on Win2K is being discussed. Can someone please point me to that thread or tell me the name of it? Thanks.

Nick
VK
Vladimir_Kordic
Nov 6, 2003
Lent my Canon 10D to a friend who shot some images last night and he brought over the CF card for me to look at. When I previewed the shots in FB about a third display the file icon instead of showing the thumb image.

Will the "File/Build Cache For Subfolders" that Thomas mentions above cure this once and for all? I’ll try it tonight off work to test, but would like to know in advance.

Good tip on mailing the driver. Thanks Dave.
ND
Nick_Decker
Nov 6, 2003
Can someone please point me to that thread or tell me the name of it?

Never mind. Found it.
GB
Gene_Burch
Nov 6, 2003
I have had the exact same problem. I have Win2K and 1 gig of Ram. When I reallocated 75% to CS perfomance was better but not as good as 7.0. The cursor problem is real annoying.
H
Ho
Nov 6, 2003
I have noticed that having the browser open can put a real drag on performance and can cause a 3-5 second cursor lag when changing tools. I thought I had addressed the cursor problem by turning the hardware acceleration of my video card down a notch, but now I am not so sure. I am still trying to sort this out.
AK
aran_kessler
Nov 6, 2003
I am running W2K Advanced Server, Two 2.2GHZ Xeons with 2.5GB RAM- Photoshop CS seems like it is running like a 386. I am waiting around for 10-15 seconds before it even STARTS to write a 140MB Flat Tiff file.. what gives???
G
Gener
Nov 7, 2003
If you need to know if you have spyware you can Spybot (a free app)

Thanks for the info. Spybot caught an old browser "add-on"

Between Norton AV, Zonealarm, AdAware, and Spybot…I’m hoping everything is covered.
I
ID._Awe
Nov 7, 2003
AdAware is pretty lame compared to SpyBot.
KC
Kimberly_Cox
Nov 7, 2003
I’m also having the same kind of problems running WinXP and I have 2 Gig of RAM installed.

My mouse cursor disappears from time to time and PSCS locks up on files over 12megabytes. When I check the system resources, it shows that PSCS is utilizing over a Gig of system resources.
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Nov 7, 2003
PS7 and PS CS run virtually at the same speed on my Windows XP Pro OS. The PS CS seems to have the biggest set of improvements in the CS suite. The Photo filters and 16 bit adjustment layers are great! Now if Adobe just fixes the dodge/burn tools so that they work on luminosity mode, I’d be happy as a clam.
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Nov 7, 2003
While I’m still browsing the forum for a similar post (seems I saw one earlier this week), I just thought I’d add that I was extremely surprised today to find it took PS CS nearly 30 seconds to open a 1.5MB JPEG image that decompressed to about 20MB. This is on a system that would likely be considered slow for PS CS use, a WinXP dual 550MHz P3 PC with 1.5GB of RAM, but I’d not have expected such a dramatic change relative to PS7 for the simple task of opening a file. PS7 takes perhaps 5 seconds to open the same file.

Daryl
VK
Vladimir_Kordic
Nov 8, 2003
Regarding the missing thumbnail previews in the FB.

"Build cache for subfolders" didn’t do anything, but "Purging" the cache restored all the thumbs. Both options in the FILE menu of FB.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections