S
Posted By
SamMan
Dec 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there a way to copy Chinese text (from either a web page, or Word doc) to a Photoshop layer?

SamMan
Rip it to reply

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

C
Corey
Dec 4, 2004
If you have the font, you should be able to just type it. But copying and pasting should work too.

Peadge 🙂

"SamMan" wrote in message
Is there a way to copy Chinese text (from either a web page, or Word doc)
to
a Photoshop layer?

SamMan
Rip it to reply

O
orchid
Dec 4, 2004
SamMan wrote:

Is there a way to copy Chinese text (from either a web page, or Word doc) to a Photoshop layer?

As was mentioned previously, you can do it if you have Chinese language capability installed and Chinese fonts. You may have to first select a chinese font after selected the text tool (if you get a nonsense character instead of a character, you could also try selecting the pasted text and then changing the font to a Chinese one).

If you don’t have Chinese language capability (web browsers and word processors can sometimes display the text even without system-support for that language), you only choice is to do a screen shot and paste in the bitmap at low resolution. You can squeeze a little more quality out of screenshots done in this way by making the text as big as possilbe and changing your resolution to 640 x 480 so it’s as large as possible. You can then resample it to a larger resolution in Photoshop before pasting it into a layer (it’ll make the text smaller, of course).

Orchid
S
SamMan
Dec 4, 2004
"Orchid" wrote in message
SamMan wrote:

Is there a way to copy Chinese text (from either a web page, or Word doc) to
a Photoshop layer?

As was mentioned previously, you can do it if you have Chinese language capability installed and Chinese fonts. You may have to first select a chinese font after selected the text tool (if you get a nonsense character instead of a character, you could also try selecting the pasted text and then changing the font to a Chinese one).
If you don’t have Chinese language capability (web browsers and word processors can sometimes display the text even without system-support for that language), you only choice is to do a screen shot and paste in the bitmap at low resolution. You can squeeze a little more quality out of screenshots done in this way by making the text as big as possilbe and changing your resolution to 640 x 480 so it’s as large as possible. You can then resample it to a larger resolution in Photoshop before pasting it into a layer (it’ll make the text smaller, of course).
Orchid

I do have the language support installed for browsers, but I’m sure I don’t have a Chinese font. The source of the page in question ( http://www.ymaaschool.com/training/ymaaprogram/taijiquan/tai jiquan.php) looks like this…. (
S
SamMan
Dec 4, 2004

As a side note, I do have Chinese traditional (Big5), Chinese Simplified (GB2312) and Chinese Simplified (HZ) encoding installed on my browser, but again, none of the actual fonts.

SamMan
Rip it to reply
K
Kingdom
Dec 4, 2004
"SamMan" wrote in
news:IB8sd.110813$:

Sellect text, copy then in photoshop select the text tool click where you want the text then paste.

Youth is wasted on the young!
J
jjs
Dec 4, 2004
"Kingdom" wrote in message
"SamMan" wrote in

Sellect text, copy then in photoshop select the text tool click where you want the text then paste.

🙂 IF he has the font installed. (I belive it’s Kozunka …)
S
SamMan
Dec 4, 2004
"Kingdom" wrote in message
"SamMan" wrote in

Youth is wasted on the young!

But this won’t work unless you have the font installed…

I do have it figured out though. I installed 13 (count ’em, 13!) Chinese fonts from my XP install CD, and now I have the ability to paste Chinese characters… where as before, it would just past a blank white space.

I have the HTML doc figured out too (as he goof-slaps himself). All I needed to do was to set the page encoding to Chinese…

Thanks for the help!

SamMan
Rip it to reply
J
jjs
Dec 4, 2004
"SamMan" wrote:

I do have it figured out though. I installed 13 (count ’em, 13!) Chinese fonts from my XP install CD, and now I have the ability to paste Chinese characters… where as before, it would just past a blank white space.

Just an aside – I am working on a China related site and consulted a Chinese language scholar about some of the symbols I wanted to use. Good thing, too. Be very careful that what you copy says what you presume it says, and when you paste, be sure the characters you get are exactly like the ones you copy, lest you ‘say’ something hugely wrong.
K
Kokoro
Dec 4, 2004
In comp.graphics.apps.photoshop, SamMan ordered an army of hamsters to type:

What version of Photoshop is it. Only later versions i believe are compatable with the Input Method Editor. I find i have to type things up in word and then printscreen and paste into my copy of Photoshop 5.
S
SamMan
Dec 4, 2004
"Kokoro" wrote in message
In comp.graphics.apps.photoshop, SamMan ordered an army of hamsters to type:

What version of Photoshop is it. Only later versions i believe are compatable with the Input Method Editor. I find i have to type things up in word and then printscreen and paste into my copy of Photoshop 5.

Version 7.

SamMan
Rip it to reply
S
SamMan
Dec 4, 2004
"jjs" wrote in message
"SamMan" wrote:

Just an aside – I am working on a China related site and consulted a Chinese language scholar about some of the symbols I wanted to use. Good thing, too. Be very careful that what you copy says what you presume it says, and when you paste, be sure the characters you get are exactly like the ones you copy, lest you ‘say’ something hugely wrong.

Thanks for the tip. I have a co-worker from Singapore, and he as taught me that there are many subtleties in the spoken word. A change in inflection, and you have gave it a new meaning, or said something else. I don’t doubt it is the same with characters!

SamMan
Rip it to reply
J
jjs
Dec 4, 2004

Thanks for the tip. I have a co-worker from Singapore, and he as taught me that there are many subtleties in the spoken word. A change in inflection, and you have gave it a new meaning, or said something else. I don’t doubt it is the same with characters!

The Chinese language has something like 6,000 sounds. My programmer’s name is Mah. I do my best to pronounce it properly. When I finally got it right he said with a smile, "you don’t know how many bad things you called me before."

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections