DH
Posted By
Denny_Ho
Nov 1, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I JUST installed Photoshop 7 on my computer. When I started up PS7, this window immediatlely popped up,

"You currently have Adobe Photoshop’s primary Scratch and Window’s primary paging file on the same volume, which can result in reduced performance. It is recommended that you set Adobe Photoshop’s primary Scratch volume to be on a different voulme, preferable on a different phyical drive"

This is worrying me and if anyone can help, that would be great!

Computer: HP Pavillion w/ P4 HT

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 1, 2003
This is worrying me and if anyone can help, that would be great!

Nothing to worry about. If you only have one harddrive there’s nothing to do.

Bob
DH
Denny_Ho
Nov 1, 2003
Thanks. In my computer, I see 2 Hard Disk Drives

one is,
HP_PAVILLION (C:)

the other,
HP_RECOVERY (D:)

Also, when I went here, <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2dd5e.htm> I followed the directions and got to the Preferences, Plug-ins and Scratch Disks window, (here it is typed out)

Scratch Disks

First: Startup
Second: None
Third: None
Forth: None

I have 3 options for the FIRST window:
(Startup, C:\, and D:\)

These 3 options goes for the SECOND, THIRD, and FORTH:
(None, C:\, and D:\)

What options should I choose?
MA
Matt_Arello
Nov 1, 2003
The idea is that the drive has a spinning disk and a little head jumping around reading, writing and erasing to this rotating disk. If the virtual memory created by the operating system and the virtual memory created virtually from photoshops scratch disks are sharing the same drive read and write functionality (as vitrual memory is written and erased to available hard drive space) then photoshops performance may be reduced slightly.

If the D: drive is in fact a completely separate hard drive (and it doesn’t sound like it is) then setting PShops vitual memory (scratch disks)to it may improve the performance of photoshop,

matt (Schõttland)
DH
Denny_Ho
Nov 1, 2003
Thank you all. 🙂

Now, what should the options be for the
FIRST:
SECOND:
THIRD:
FORTH:
selections?

If I only have 1 drive, then Photoshop will have reduced performance. Is it just the speed of Photoshop being reduced or the quality of the brushes, color, images and etc?

Thanks in advance!
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Nov 1, 2003
Denny Ho,
There is no quality degradation with your current setup. I have the same thing here. It is even worse: my system should not be able to run Photoshop at all: Pentium 2 at 400MHz
128 MB ram

Yet it runs like a sweet symphony!

Only troubles me with large files, but else OK.
After a few sessions the message about the scratch volume didn’t even appear anymore.

Rob
DH
Denny_Ho
Nov 1, 2003
alright then! Thanks Rob.
MA
Matt_Arello
Nov 1, 2003
Dear D-H,

First ; Startup
Second; C:
Third; C:
Fourth; C:

providing you have lots of free space on C: drive…. (if not then allocate one or two scratch disks instead of four)

matt.
DH
Denny_Ho
Nov 1, 2003
Thank you Matt.
But…
I did what you wrote with the 4 options and I still get the "Scratch and Window’s paging file" message.
RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 1, 2003
You only have one harddrive. Don’t change the settings.

Bob
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 1, 2003
Set it to "C:\", not Startup, and the message should go away.
RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 1, 2003
According to Chris, it will go away all by itself. It only happens the first time you launch Photoshop.

Bob

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections