N
Posted By
Nemesis
Oct 31, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can anybody please advise? I’ve been doing a tour of plugins, and am seriously disappointed by most of them. In fact, there are some that I can’t imagine anyone in his/her right mind using! Even Candy4000, recommended by so many, is a disappointment.

I’m looking for programs/plugins that will take a picture and convert it into pencil or charcoal sketches. Whilst on holiday in Mallorca there was a booth where you could have your photograph taken, and it would automatically produce a very presentable sketch that would look good if done by a real artist! Where does one look for such programs, please, and are they costly?

Advice gratefully received!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

C
Corey
Oct 31, 2004
Have you tried those filters that come with Photoshop? Not trying to be mean, but are the limitations you’ve experienced in the programs or in your skill level? Only the latter can be improved upon without upgrading. 😉 Improvement takes time. Your disappointment may be more a factor of temporal myopia than bad choice of programs.

As for finding plug-ins, search engines work well. Sites specifically devoted to Photoshop like http://www.photoshopuser.com/ may prove helpful by not only listing the plug-ins, but evaluating them as well. The latest issue of their magazine (available at your local B&N) evaluates several extraction (blue screen and edge detection) plug-ins.

Peadge 🙂

"Nemesis" wrote in message
Can anybody please advise? I’ve been doing a tour of plugins, and am seriously disappointed by most of them. In fact, there are some that I can’t imagine anyone in his/her right mind using! Even Candy4000, recommended by so many, is a disappointment.

I’m looking for programs/plugins that will take a picture and convert it into pencil or charcoal sketches. Whilst on holiday in Mallorca there was a booth where you could have your photograph taken, and it would automatically produce a very presentable sketch that would look good if done by a real artist! Where does one look for such programs, please, and are they costly?

E
edjh
Oct 31, 2004
Nemesis wrote:

This can be done with the native Photoshop filters and Blend modes. There are actions on the Adobe Exchange that will do this. Free.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
J
jjs
Oct 31, 2004

Ah, then what you need is TALENT!
Too fuckin bad there’s not plugin for that.
Friggin freeloaders.
N
Nemesis
Nov 1, 2004
Well, thank you, jjs, for your magnanimous reply. I’m not sure how you assume I have no talent, based on the little information I had given, but you are perfectly entitled to be as insulting as you wish.

With regard to "freeloaders" I was not talking about free plugins.

It might have been more courteous to have suggested that I have limited experience, and for this, being a beginner to Photoshop, I would plead guilty. Sorry it I have intruded.

Tell me, were you born rude, or have you taken lessons? Mistakenly, I thought that this was a forum where people would provide encouragement and share experience, rather than hurl insults. I am evidently mistaken. Very sorry to have troubled you.

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 17:47:22 -0600, "jjs" wrote:

Ah, then what you need is TALENT!
Too fuckin bad there’s not plugin for that.
Friggin freeloaders.

N
Nemesis
Nov 1, 2004
Many thanks for your helpful reply, I’ll try this straight away!

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 23:01:27 GMT, edjh wrote:

Nemesis wrote:

This can be done with the native Photoshop filters and Blend modes. There are actions on the Adobe Exchange that will do this. Free.
N
Nemesis
Nov 1, 2004
You’re right. I’m very much a beginner, so my skill level is very poor! Thanks for your reply – much appreciated. I’ll try the site you mention. I did put out a search, but there were loads!

N

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 14:28:37 -0800, "Peadge"
wrote:

Have you tried those filters that come with Photoshop? Not trying to be mean, but are the limitations you’ve experienced in the programs or in your skill level? Only the latter can be improved upon without upgrading. 😉 Improvement takes time. Your disappointment may be more a factor of temporal myopia than bad choice of programs.

As for finding plug-ins, search engines work well. Sites specifically devoted to Photoshop like http://www.photoshopuser.com/ may prove helpful by not only listing the plug-ins, but evaluating them as well. The latest issue of their magazine (available at your local B&N) evaluates several extraction (blue screen and edge detection) plug-ins.

Peadge 🙂

R
RSD99
Nov 1, 2004
http://thepluginsite.com/

If you like what you see … sign up for their newsletter.

N
Nemesis
Nov 1, 2004
I will. Very many thanks!

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 17:12:17 GMT, "RSD99"
wrote:

http://thepluginsite.com/

If you like what you see … sign up for their newsletter.

N
noone
Nov 2, 2004
In article ,
says…

I’d recommend that you look to a standalone program, Corel Painer for total artistic control, such as you mention. The Cloner brushes, and the Auto_Clone feature will do all the work for you, but you have infinite control. Not exactly what you ask for, but will do the job and then some.

Hunt
A
andrewbckl
Nov 5, 2004
There are a number of plugins in that area. Perhaps check out http://www.pluginsworld.com or use the search engine for plugins on http://www.thepluginsite.com

Impressionist plugin was good (via Image composer), xaostools Paint Alchemy is another plugin

http://www.littleinkpot.com is another site that has some possible sketch / ink / charcoal effects

http://www.graphicxtras.com set ‘Andrew’s plugins vol 17’ is another possible

Actions are always good as mentioned in other posts

Not a plugin, but what about checking out the corel.com Painter IX

Andrew

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections