How do you work with text for the web in PS?

D
Posted By
dglaser
Oct 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Whenever I work with text and do a save for web, the text looks jaggy on the web site.

I have discovered that it is better to work in 300 dpi and then Save for Web than to work in 72 dpi and Save for Web. And it does seem like the larger I make the text, the less the effect.

I haven’t done too much playing with Aliasing/anti-aliasing. I heard that at a certain size you need to turn anti-aliasing off. But I am not clear on this topic either.

Can someone give me the "rules" to follow?

Thanks, Dale

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

G
Gadgets
Oct 16, 2004
By resampling 300 to 72 you’re basically creating some anti-aliasing and softening the overall image (if flattened).

Still best to work at finished size, 72dpi, viewing actual pixels and visually choose the best AA method for that image/text. I use Crisp most I guess, but Smooth can be OK on bold thick text. Just flick between the modes and see what looks best, it shouldn’t change too much going to Save for Web, depending how limited your colour palette is, or transparency and matte settings.

Cheers, Jason (remove … to reply)
Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com
B
bogus
Oct 17, 2004
The dpi setting has no effect when you save for the web. What matters is pixels, the file type and the settings.

When you do Save for Web you should have two screens. One shows the original file, the other shows what the file will look like when saved for web.

There are two main types of files. Gif and jpeg.

Gif is good if you use a plain color background. It is limited to 256 colors max. The trick is to select a setting with a low number of colors without sacrificing clarity.

Jpeg is good if you use a multi colored background. Jpeg uses a lossy compression scheme. That means you can make the file smaller but you will lose qualtiy. Again, try to select a setting that balances compression with quality.

Good luck.

Dale Glaser wrote:

Whenever I work with text and do a save for web, the text looks jaggy on the web site.

I have discovered that it is better to work in 300 dpi and then Save for Web than to work in 72 dpi and Save for Web. And it does seem like the larger I make the text, the less the effect.

I haven’t done too much playing with Aliasing/anti-aliasing. I heard that at a certain size you need to turn anti-aliasing off. But I am not clear on this topic either.

Can someone give me the "rules" to follow?

Thanks, Dale

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections