Posted By
Stephen_Field
Oct 25, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can you use the extract tool to make a clipping path
I guess what I am trying to do is find the best way to mask out backgrounds and still maintain clean natural edges. But I want to be able to use the background also in all publications – so I want to save it as a clipping path and not lose the background forever.

I have tried the pen tool – but the result is a little jaggedy and not as smooth as I like. Any advice?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

SF
Stephen_Field
Oct 25, 2003
guess what I am after is what is the best and easiest way to mask out backgrounds as selections so if you need them later you can still use them?
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 25, 2003
have you tried save selection as a channel? I don’t know if you can do that with extract, but it’ll work w/all the other selection methods. (paths, marquees, quick mask, etc.)
JM
John_Mensinger
Oct 27, 2003
Stephen, there’s no reason to lose anything. Just make multiple copies, (as layers), of your intital background layer, do your extraction, load your extracted subject as a selection, (Ctrl+Click on the layer), switch to one of the original copied layers and delete.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections