BC
Posted By
Brian_Cushing
Oct 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Probably an ignorant question but: A friend gave me a photo taken in bright sunlight. Shadows had hidden parts she wanted shown. I am not aware of any way to lighten this area without adversely affecting the rest of the photo. Am I wrong? Any advice is sincerely welcomed. Thanks in advance, as I sign off after posting and check back later. Also a belated thanks to this entire forum for keeping what little sanity I have left.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Oct 24, 2003
For a high contrast poorly exposed photo, usually a technique such as Contrast Masking can help quite a bit.

Try this:

Duplicate layer

Put duplicate layer in Overlay mode

Invert layer

Use Gaussian Blur to blur definition – try 30.

I have an action that does these steps if youre interested:

<http://www.2morrow.dk/75ppi/coolpix/actions>
IL
Ian_Lyons
Oct 24, 2003
Order up a copy of Photoshop CS and when it eventually arrives use the new Shadow/Highlight feature. It works like magic on images such as you describe.
BC
Brian_Cushing
Oct 25, 2003
Mathias,
Thanks, your action worked great.

Ian,
Your solution will work as soon as the bucks get here!
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Oct 25, 2003
Brian,

If you only want to effect the shadows of the image (Contrast Masking effects both shadow and hilight), then use Advanced Layer Blending on the Contrast Mask layer to limit the effect.

Glad it worked for you.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections