Looking for a way to organize 1000’s of images. Is PS Album worth considering? Other Recommendations

J
Posted By
JMF
Oct 23, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The price of these programs varies widely.
I’d like something easy to use, yet very powerful, with the ability to assign unlimited cross-referencing and categories.
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks
John

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

G
Guero
Oct 23, 2003
Extensis Portfolio is an excellent program with lots of possibilities. Take a look at their website for more detailed information, www.extensis.com

H
DM
Don_McCahill
Oct 23, 2003
Have you asked this question in the PS Album forum? There may be more users of that program there, than here.
J
JMF
Oct 23, 2003
Yes, I have asked the question there.
But, I thought that on this forum I might get a broader range of answers specifically because this isn’t the forum for that one particular program, and also because I’m more likely to encounter other professionals, whose needs might extend beyond those of someone who’s just trying to keep track of vacation photos.
I’d still love to hear of anyone’s experience with any of these programs. Thanks again.
John
KN
Ken_Nielsen_
Oct 23, 2003
Post your question on the Mac Photoshop Forum. Lots of Studio and production people there too.

IMHO: YOU are the powerful piece of software to handle a job like this. All-in-one software solutions are not enough.

Here’s how I do it, in a nutshell:

1. Establish a filenaming convention that will encompass all types of images that you have. I use model numbers because we have thousands of products that have model numbers. Look at the Bettman Archives (Corbis) for confirmation that the number ing system works best. I wouldn’t mix letters and numbers though – too easy to confuse when hand written in a hurry.

2. Use a job ticket and numbering system to catalog revisions to images and dated to show latest modifications,

3. Use Filemaker Pro or if you are Windows, use the defacto standard database program to catalog your photos by filename (number,) mode, resolution, job ticket #, Archive disk # and size of file in MB.

4. Use DVD’s to contain your images.

I’m not going to go into any more detail here, but you get where I am coming from: It takes a plan, personal involvement and commitment, and a system in order to make it work.

Software alone is not going to give you all of that.
TH
Tina_Hayes
Oct 23, 2003
I tried the Photoshop Album trial, and only kept it installed for three days….I waan’t impressed.

Extensis Portfolio is excellent.

Also you could try ACDSee which is very popular, and ThumbsPlus or Cumulus…………. but really my recommendation would be Portfilio.
MJ
Markus_Jork
Oct 23, 2003
You should definitely check out IMatch. You can download a trial version before you buy. I like it a lot. Very powerful despite
its low price and you get good support.

The Web site is <http://www.photools.com/>

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections