JR
Posted By
Jack_Rice
Oct 18, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m working with a large (95Mb) TIFF file, so I expect slow response, but not a breakdown of functions. Brushes change from circles to pinpoints, and the typing tool will not display the typed text. ANd none of this changes if I close and re-open

Though I only have 512Mb RAM, the Scratch Disc is on a big (60Gb) and fast separate physical drive.

Is this behavior related to the RAM alone, or is it something else?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
dave_milbut
Oct 18, 2003
brush cursor changes from precise to brush-size when hitting the caps lock key. not sure about the type problem. do you have a wacom or other pen? make sure the pen or mouse isn’t resting on the pen tablet when not in use.
JR
Jack_Rice
Oct 18, 2003
You know, I accidently hit the CapsLock key all the time. But this time, CapsLock wasn’t the problem – it was because the file size had to be reduced so radically to fit the screen, that the brush cursor shrank to a pinpoint and stayed that way, even after the radius was increased. (In this instance, toggling with the CapsLock wouldn’t make a difference, since only the two cursor styles are available.) Since I use the cloning stamp often, the cursor is usually in brush mode. In precise mode or when the brush cursor is in the pinpoint state, the cursor is easily lost, which can be a nuisance when I need to back out of the frame to crop or make global changes. Being able to toggle (Alt+Arrow, for example) through to the "standard" cursor style would be a welcome fix.

As for the type tool, apparently, some fonts (I was using Latha) simply don’t work. Strange, since the I thought Adobe loads its own fonts, so that all those listed in the dropdown are actually there.

Btw, speaking of the CapsLock key, Dvorak, in one of his rants, has proposed removing it. I agree! "All Caps" is used so seldom nowadays, I think the CapsLock key is placed in a far more important place than it deserves. Moving it to the F-key row, and putting in its place, say, a programable blank is one solution.

Anyway, Dave, THANKS for joggin’ my noggin’.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 18, 2003
cool beans!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections