BD
Posted By
Ben_D_Johnson
Oct 17, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently transfered photoshop 7 to an external hard drive and get an error that reads "Could not complete your request because of missing or invalid personalization info" when I boot the program. Does anyone know how to reset this info, or update it, or whatever so that it will work. Or maybe the file that contains this information? Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DM
dave_milbut
Oct 18, 2003
that error usually requires a reinstallation.
S
silversmith
Oct 26, 2003
I have the same Pesonalization Information Missing error problem (after a WIN XP reinstall). I tried to reinstall PS7, but got the same result. I can not gracefully uninstall PS7 because it does not appear on the installed list of control panel. I removed all references to PS in the Registry and reinstalled, but the same problem persists. Please let me know of any suggestions!

Peter
DM
Don_McCahill
Oct 26, 2003
One does not normally transfer programs in Windows. You uninstall and reinstall in the new location. Just moving a program without it being registered correctly in the registry file will lead to all kinds of problems.
S
silversmith
Oct 26, 2003
You are right – but in my case the reinstall was after clean format because of a crash. After I first reinstalled PS7 in the reinstalled XP, this error came up (it worked fine before the reformat). I have repeatedly reinstalled after purging the Registry (since PS does not appear in the control panel) but keep getting the Personalization Information Error. I appreciate your thoughts.
JH
Jake_Hannam
Oct 27, 2003
Are you using an upgrade version of Photoshop? It’s possible that it is looking for an older version as a qualifying upgrade.

I would try a total uninstall and reinstall (with old version handy).
S
silversmith
Oct 28, 2003
No this is a full version, not an upgrade. I can not really do an elegant uninstall, since PS7 doesn’t appear in the control panel programs list, despite what looks like a proper install – maybe this is a clue to the problem. I did however remove all evidence of PS from the registry manually and reinstalled – same result. Thanks for your interest – I’d be grateful for any other thoughts.
L
LenHewitt
Oct 28, 2003
Silversmith,

Some 3rd party plugins look for a serial # in the earlier format. That’s why there is the option to enter an earlier version serial#
S
silversmith
Oct 28, 2003
Thank you for your thoughts – this is a clean install – no plug ins – that still gives this error – Why do you think it is that PhotoShop does not appear in the Control Panel Programs list after what appears to be a successful installation?
JH
Jake_Hannam
Oct 28, 2003
The fact that it is not showing up in Control Panel is odd. Is it possible that this is a network computer and you need to have administrative rights to install? I doubt it but thought I’d ask.
Also, it is listed as "Adobe Photoshop" in my Control Panel and not just "Photoshop". Maybe you overlooked it?

My only other thought is that there is still some vestige of the old installation in your registry that has not been removed.

Other than that, I am at a loss. Sorry.

Jake
S
silversmith
Oct 28, 2003
Thank you for your thoughs. Not a Network; Not "Adobe" PS overlooked. Good thoughts though. I have manually deleted every reference to Photoshop from the Registry, and the hard drive, yet the install that follows still has all the same problems. Grateful for any other ideas.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 28, 2003
Contact Adobe Customer Support — something is very wrong with the install.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections