A
Posted By
Amy8427
Oct 15, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve got a photo with a closed fist and I want to distort a stack of 20 bills so it looks like the fist is holding them. I can distort the bills using the nodes at the top and bottom but I can’t grab the nodes in the middle to sort of "pinch" it. (Almost like a bow-tie) Anyone? Oh, and by the way, I’m using a PC.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JM
John_Mensinger
Oct 15, 2003
You can do such things with the Liquify filter, but you have to be patient and experiment with the different types of brushes at different sizes, etc. It’s not "automatic."
O
Ol__Whozit
Oct 15, 2003
You’ll have a much easier time if you first use the Free Transform tool, hold down the Crtl key as you take one corner and drag it over to the other side of the image, and then do the same with the same corner on the opposite side (i.e. top left, top right). This will give you the image distortion for the dollar bill’s center.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 16, 2003
OW does crtl allow you to temporarily enter distore mode while in free transform? i usually right click and selcect "Distort" from the pop up context menu. That’d be pretty neat, aside from being a great time saver! Can you confirm?

thanks, dave
P
Phosphor
Oct 16, 2003
If it were me, I prefer to get a real stack of bills, set up a well-lit photo situation and shoot them myself, clutched and mashed in my own hand.

Then simply cut them out of that shot and drop em in the other. It’ll look better, guaranted.

It IS called PHOTOshop, after all!
SJ
sandy_johnson
Oct 16, 2003
Have you tried the filter>distort>pinch?
A
Amy8427
Oct 16, 2003
I tried using the Pinch filter already, but it didn’t actually "pinch" at all. Instead it distored the bottom of the bills in a swishing motion. Weird. Anyway, I ended up using the Liquify filter in Photoshop and then chosing the "pucker" tool. It worked really well!

Obviously the best way would have been to take a well-lit photo, but I don’t have the equipment to do that, so this worked out for me. Thanks everyone!
P
Phosphor
Oct 16, 2003
Let’s see the "Before" and "After" Amy!

I’d be interested to see how well it worked for you.
O
Ol__Whozit
Oct 16, 2003
Dave, the technique works equally well under Distort and Skew, its just that I keyboard Photoshop a lot, and Ctrl+T is the fastest way to access the Transform tool. The other options limit the transform options somewhat.

It’s still the best way to warp the center of the bills.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 18, 2003
its just that I keyboard Photoshop a lot, and Ctrl+T is the fastest way to access the Transform tool.

me too. that’s why i was asking. after testing, crtl while in standard transform mode DOES allow you to perform the same transformations as switching to Distort mode. releasing crtl puts you back in free-transform. very cool. thanks.

dave

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections