G
Posted By
gwmbottom
Sep 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My Photoshop 7 for the Mac (OS 10.3.5) started crashing whenever I tried to open an existing file. I tried to delete the application and install a brand new copy. The copy did the same thing; it crashed each time I tried to open an existing graphics file. I’ve run the disk Utility and some maintenance utilities as well as check for a virus.

Since the problem didn’t go away when I installed the new copy of Photoshop 7, I suspect that I failed to remove some other preference (plist) or associated file. How can I do a clean install without reformating the hard drive?

Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks,
David
Long Beach, CA

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
bogus
Sep 10, 2004
Just a guess. Fonts can cause crashes too.
Do other programs crash for you? If so, it may not be just Phtotoshop. Adobe puts some fonts in use/library/application support/Adobe. If you use font management program, disable it. Then use program to look for corrupt fonts and duplicates.

It could be the file you are trying to open is corrupt. If you can open other files and just this one crashes you machine, it is probably corrupt. Nothing to do but trash it then and use your backup copy.

dp

wrote:

My Photoshop 7 for the Mac (OS 10.3.5) started crashing whenever I tried to open an existing file. I tried to delete the application and install a brand new copy. The copy did the same thing; it crashed each time I tried to open an existing graphics file. I’ve run the disk Utility and some maintenance utilities as well as check for a virus.

Since the problem didn’t go away when I installed the new copy of Photoshop 7, I suspect that I failed to remove some other preference (plist) or associated file. How can I do a clean install without reformating the hard drive?

Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks,
David
Long Beach, CA
T
tacitr
Sep 10, 2004
My Photoshop 7 for the Mac (OS 10.3.5) started crashing whenever I tried to open an existing file.

99 times out of 100 (in fact, EVERY time I have ever seen this problem), there is nothing wrong with Photoshop and nothing wrong with the graphic; reinstalling Photoshop will not help.

Most likely, you have a corrupt font. That is by far the most common cause of this problem.

Disable ALL your fonts. Can you open the image now? If so, re-enable your fonts until you find the corrupt font, and throw it away.

Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
N
noone
Sep 10, 2004
In article ,
says…
My Photoshop 7 for the Mac (OS 10.3.5) started crashing whenever I tried to open an existing file.

99 times out of 100 (in fact, EVERY time I have ever seen this problem),
there
is nothing wrong with Photoshop and nothing wrong with the graphic; reinstalling Photoshop will not help.

Most likely, you have a corrupt font. That is by far the most common cause of this problem.

Disable ALL your fonts. Can you open the image now? If so, re-enable your
fonts
until you find the corrupt font, and throw it away.

A few questions regarding corrupt fonts: is this likely to cause a crash if the image has not text? Is this from an instability in the program, as it loaded the fonts? Is this MAC specific (as I only know PC)?

Only reason that I ask is that after I copied fonts from one machine to another, I found that some were corrupt, and that did not seem to affect PS. I did find BU copies, and replaced them (PC), but while they were there, it did not seem that they caused any problem, until I tried to use one of the bad ones.

Thanks for your response,
Hunt
T
tacitr
Sep 10, 2004
A few questions regarding corrupt fonts: is this likely to cause a crash if the image has not text?

Yes. Photoshop scans the system font resource list when it launches, and becomes highly unstable if there are problems. (This is not limited to Photoshop, by the way; Illustrator and Quark have the same issue. In fact, Quark normally crashes on launch if the system has a bad font.)

Is this MAC specific (as I only know PC)?

Windows systems can also experience problems with bad fonts, though in my experience it’s a lot more unusual than it is on the Mac–possibly a statistical anomaly, since I deal with more Photoshop clients who use Macs than PCs.

Only reason that I ask is that after I copied fonts from one machine to another, I found that some were corrupt, and that did not seem to affect PS.

Not all font corruption will cause a crash. Photoshop seems quite vulnerable to corruption in the PostScript outline portion of a PostScript font, as it actually gets its font information (including the name of the font) from the PS information. (This is why the name of a font as it appears in a Photoshop or Illustrator font list may not match the name of the same font as it appears in other applications; other applications list fonts by their screen name, Adobe apps by their PostScript name, and in some cases the names may not be the same.)

G
google
Sep 24, 2004
I did extensive testing and discovered that Illustrator 10 on a Mac will crash if you have more than 124 fonts installed and try to access the Pantone Pallets menu.

Many people believe it is due to Font corruption. But we own the Adobe 2000 font collection, and I was able to remove all fonts, and then load different sets of fonts. Each time, Illustrator 10 would exhibit problems once the 124th font is installed.

(Tacit) wrote in message news:…
A few questions regarding corrupt fonts: is this likely to cause a crash if the image has not text?

Yes. Photoshop scans the system font resource list when it launches, and becomes highly unstable if there are problems. (This is not limited to Photoshop, by the way; Illustrator and Quark have the same issue. In fact, Quark normally crashes on launch if the system has a bad font.)
Is this MAC specific (as I only know PC)?

Windows systems can also experience problems with bad fonts, though in my experience it’s a lot more unusual than it is on the Mac–possibly a statistical anomaly, since I deal with more Photoshop clients who use Macs than PCs.

Only reason that I ask is that after I copied fonts from one machine to another, I found that some were corrupt, and that did not seem to affect PS.

Not all font corruption will cause a crash. Photoshop seems quite vulnerable to corruption in the PostScript outline portion of a PostScript font, as it actually gets its font information (including the name of the font) from the PS information. (This is why the name of a font as it appears in a Photoshop or Illustrator font list may not match the name of the same font as it appears in other applications; other applications list fonts by their screen name, Adobe apps by their PostScript name, and in some cases the names may not be the same.)
D
DD
Sep 25, 2004
On 24 Sep 2004 09:57:02 -0700, (Timothy Burt)
wrote:

I did extensive testing and discovered that Illustrator 10 on a Mac will crash if you have more than 124 fonts installed and try to access the Pantone Pallets menu.
Each time, Illustrator 10 would
exhibit problems once the 124th font is installed.

once the 124th or is it the 125th font is installed?

DD

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections