R
Posted By
Rommel
Dec 16, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How do I paint several 1 pix straight horizontal lines onto a picture equidistant in the vertical direction – ideally on the same layer – quickly, easily and accurately?

I finished off painting 4 horizontal lines onto one layer as best I could and then duplicating this layer 3 times (for a total of 16 horizontal lines) and moving the three layers accordingly. Of course, any error in my first ‘master’ layer also get duplicated. But this highly inaccurate way can not be the best, surely.

I am using PS 7.0

R

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

L
Littleboy
Dec 16, 2003
Repetitive drawings (or pattern!) are best done using the Pattern Layer Effects 😉

– Create a document (say 2 px high, 1 px wide)
– paint 1 px black
– ctrl-a for selecting all
– Edit / define pattern, name it… (you can close the 2 px document without saving now)
– create a layer with solid fill (like all black or all white) in your composition
– apply Layer Effects and choose the proper pattern with Pattern Overlay.

Alternatively:

– Draw 1 single horizontal line on it’s own layer
– Alt+Shift+Arrow down (repeat this for as many duplicate lines you want!)

Greets

Littleboy

"Rommel" wrote in message
How do I paint several 1 pix straight horizontal lines onto a picture equidistant in the vertical direction – ideally on the same layer –
quickly,
easily and accurately?

I finished off painting 4 horizontal lines onto one layer as best I could and then duplicating this layer 3 times (for a total of 16 horizontal
lines)
and moving the three layers accordingly. Of course, any error in my first ‘master’ layer also get duplicated. But this highly inaccurate way can not be the best, surely.

I am using PS 7.0

R

R
Ruth
Dec 16, 2003
the transline and transtone plugins from flaming pear might be helpful. http://www.flamingpear.com/download.html

they are free

How do I paint several 1 pix straight horizontal lines onto a picture equidistant in the vertical direction – ideally on the same layer –
quickly,
easily and accurately?

I finished off painting 4 horizontal lines onto one layer as best I could and then duplicating this layer 3 times (for a total of 16 horizontal
lines)
and moving the three layers accordingly. Of course, any error in my first ‘master’ layer also get duplicated. But this highly inaccurate way can not be the best, surely.

I am using PS 7.0

R

E
edjh
Dec 16, 2003
Rommel wrote:
How do I paint several 1 pix straight horizontal lines onto a picture equidistant in the vertical direction – ideally on the same layer – quickly, easily and accurately?

I finished off painting 4 horizontal lines onto one layer as best I could and then duplicating this layer 3 times (for a total of 16 horizontal lines) and moving the three layers accordingly. Of course, any error in my first ‘master’ layer also get duplicated. But this highly inaccurate way can not be the best, surely.

I am using PS 7.0

R
Filter>Sketch>Halftone Pattern is one way. There are many others, as mentioned.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
R
Rommel
Dec 16, 2003
Littleboy, I tried both your ideas. Unfortunately neither worked:

1) I got to the layer effects, clicked on pattern overlay, but couldn’t find a way to change the pattern – must be there somewhere, but I couldn’t find it!
2) I tried creating a line and continually clicking on Alt+Shift+Arrow down but all I seemed to be doing was creating layers with no lines in them – I guess I’m missing something here too!

but…you pointed me in the right direction with recommendation 1). I completed my task by defining a 1*9 pattern using a transparent bg, selecting a rectangular area on a new layer and then filling this area with my pattern. I could then change the opacity of the layer giving me the desired effect! Of course, this technique allows me to alter the pitch of the lines just by changing the size of the single pixel wide graphic. Brilliant!

Thanks.

"Littleboy" <littleboy_at_emp3mail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Repetitive drawings (or pattern!) are best done using the Pattern Layer Effects 😉

– Create a document (say 2 px high, 1 px wide)
– paint 1 px black
– ctrl-a for selecting all
– Edit / define pattern, name it… (you can close the 2 px document
without
saving now)
– create a layer with solid fill (like all black or all white) in your composition
– apply Layer Effects and choose the proper pattern with Pattern Overlay.
Alternatively:

– Draw 1 single horizontal line on it’s own layer
– Alt+Shift+Arrow down (repeat this for as many duplicate lines you want!)
Greets

Littleboy

quickly,
easily and accurately?

I finished off painting 4 horizontal lines onto one layer as best I
could
and then duplicating this layer 3 times (for a total of 16 horizontal
lines)
and moving the three layers accordingly. Of course, any error in my
first
‘master’ layer also get duplicated. But this highly inaccurate way can
not
be the best, surely.

I am using PS 7.0

R

R
Rommel
Dec 17, 2003
Ruth, thanks – certainly some interesting free stuff – great input, although I couldn’t use your recommendation as I wasn’t able to alter the pitch of the lines.

But the transtone plug-in is superb for simulating semi-transparent gifs. Brilliant!

Thanks

"Ruth" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
the transline and transtone plugins from flaming pear might be helpful. http://www.flamingpear.com/download.html

they are free

quickly,
easily and accurately?

could
lines)
first
not
be the best, surely.

I am using PS 7.0

R

GP
Gregory Paret
Dec 17, 2003
Rommel wrote:

There is a plug-in available at http://www.users.cloud9.net/~gparet/photoshop/ that might help you do that.

-Greg.
R
Rommel
Dec 18, 2003
Thanks for the i/p edjh, but the halftone pattern is just that – a pattern – it doesn’t give me my horizontal lines!

R
"edjh" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Rommel wrote:
quickly,
easily and accurately?

could
lines)
first
not
be the best, surely.

I am using PS 7.0

R
Filter>Sketch>Halftone Pattern is one way. There are many others, as mentioned.

R
Rommel
Dec 18, 2003
Gregory,

Absolutely brilliant!

My prayers have been answered.

Thanks for the excellent product!

My postcard will be winging its way, your way soon……

R

PS
Is there any help anywhere? Not sure what I’d use a grid ‘path’ for. Also not sure what ‘Interpolation’ does. ‘Edge’ seems to put a box around the grid – is this right?

"Gregory Paret" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Rommel wrote:
quickly,
easily and accurately?

There is a plug-in available at
http://www.users.cloud9.net/~gparet/photoshop/
that might help you do that.

-Greg.
R
Ruth
Dec 18, 2003
ah, i know 🙁
they are most useful for creating that kind of effect on web graphics. i find the easiest way to do this sort of thing is to draw the lines (takes a second) in an illustration/vector type program like illustrator or corel draw.

much quicker do do this sort of thing in a vector prog.

and make sure you DON’T anti-alias them when you export them.

Ruth

Ruth, thanks – certainly some interesting free stuff – great input,
although
I couldn’t use your recommendation as I wasn’t able to alter the pitch of the lines.

But the transtone plug-in is superb for simulating semi-transparent gifs. Brilliant!

Thanks

"Ruth" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

they are free

quickly,
easily and accurately?

could
lines)
first
not
be the best, surely.

I am using PS 7.0

R

E
edjh
Dec 24, 2003
Rommel wrote:
Thanks for the i/p edjh, but the halftone pattern is just that – a pattern – it doesn’t give me my horizontal lines!

Actually it does. The dropdown gives you a choice of dots, lines or concentric circles. But Greg’s plugin is excellent too.

J
Jack
Dec 24, 2003
I have tried in vane to get skyies correct on natural pictures. For some reason photoshop 5 will not blur, smudge or do anything helpfull with grainy skyies (despeckle helps a little sometimes). I have replaced a sky with a blue and then did a gradient fill and it ended up very nice in photoshop. When saved it looks like a rainbow. So, my questions are; Why the rainbow on a gradient fill and how can I homogenize a natural sky?
PF
Paul Furman
Dec 24, 2003
I’m not sure what your natural sky problems are???

The jpeg compression can aggravate the rainbow effect. Try higher quality with saveas or save as a tif.

Jack wrote:

I have tried in vane to get skyies correct on natural pictures. For some reason photoshop 5 will not blur, smudge or do anything helpfull with grainy skyies (despeckle helps a little sometimes). I have replaced a sky with a blue and then did a gradient fill and it ended up very nice in photoshop. When saved it looks like a rainbow. So, my questions are; Why the rainbow on a gradient fill and how can I homogenize a natural sky?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections