JN
Posted By
jo_newman
Oct 14, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am working on some animated gifs and flash files which contain both detailed photographs and logos. They need to be reduced to 15-18k but have 4 frames with different photographs and text on each frame. The files are 120×600, 728×90 and 300×250 and the photograph about a third of the total image. I am losing too much quality when saving the file but have been told there is a way to do this. Something about optimizing each layer separately. Do you know if this is true? I have up to 25 layers per file so it seems like a long and tedious process. Is there any other way to do this?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
Don_McCahill
Oct 14, 2003
Sorry, but you cannot compress detailed photographs of those sizes to 18K in gif. You can make animated Flash files of that size (and smaller), but only if they contain vector graphics only. Each photo that you add to a Flash file adds the size of that photo. Even one photo added to a Flash file will put you over the size limit.
JN
jo_newman
Oct 14, 2003
That is what I thought. Someone told me they had done it but so far, no one else has found a way… maybe someone was playing a joke on me!

Thanks for your response!
PH
Photo_Help
Oct 14, 2003
jo,

It is entirely possible to get an 18K file using those dimensions. That would of course depend entirely on content (Photos and text).

Can you post an example or the PSD file you are working with?
HD
hot_denim
Oct 14, 2003
I believe FLASH import MPEG or video. Maybe create a 4 frame MPEG from FULL colour images. Compress the MPEG a lot. Or maybe FLASH gives you a compression option on import ?..
JN
jo_newman
Oct 14, 2003
I just made up a psd file similar to what I am working on. It is just the images for the first frame but at least you will get an idea. You can view it at <http://www.lacuchara.com/example/example.psd>

thanks for your help
JN
jo_newman
Oct 14, 2003
Can you post an example or the PSD file you are working with?

I just made up a psd file similar to what I am working on. It is just the images for the first frame but at least you will get an idea. There would be 3 more frames all with different photos (but the same size) and different text. Only the logo would stay the same in all frames. My guess this is out of the question for an animated gif… but it sounds like it may work in flash?

You can view it at <http://www.lacuchara.com/example/example.psd>

thanks for your help
PH
Photo_Help
Oct 14, 2003
Jo,

Using 4 photos that size would definitely put you over if you make it a single animated GIF. If you need it to be under 18K your best bet is to use flash as Don suggested. Even then you would be pushing it. Unfortunately even with relatively high compression the 4 images would take up around 16K of the file by themselves.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections