Posted By
enton
Oct 13, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
There is a web page : <http://www.draw-me.com>

They say sent us a photo, and we will make to you it’s caricature…Now my question is, have you any ideas which program do they use to turn photos into caricature. I have a small newspaper and i need a program like this…Do you have any ideas. Please help me…Thanks…

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
Don_McCahill
Oct 13, 2003
How do you know they are doing it with a computer? They charge $40 per face, so they could have an artist doing the work. In fact, if they have some kind of automatic program (which I doubt) they would be ripping you off at that price.
ED
Emma_d_Anise
Oct 13, 2003
Wow. So we’ve come to a time where everything artistic is assumed to be created by a brush, plug-in, or action. Sad.
O
Ol__Whozit
Oct 13, 2003
Emma, I seriously doubt the images on that site were "hand created"…They show all the marks of a good photomanipulation.

There’s been a few good forum threads and some new tut’s regarding photo to comic effects.

There is no one software app to do this, but there are a few to help you along. You still will need some skills with PS, though. A start is to play with cutout and posterize effects, different layers at different opacities with varied blending modes…

Good luck!
PH
Photo_Help
Oct 13, 2003
enton,

Sure no problem. The program is called Photoshop or Illustrator. And you will need to hire a graphic artist to go with it.

"Each drawing is created by hand and then colored and rendered digitally to ensure the richest color quality."

There are programs that can render the face to look somewhat hand drawn, but you will still need a library of caricature bodies and backgrounds to apply the faces to. Most caricatures are customized to fit the person so you would need a vast library if you don’t want to have to draw anything.
PH
Photo_Help
Oct 13, 2003
Ol’ Whozit,

They show the marks of using the images as a background to trace the major features and recreating them by hand. Take note of the backgrounds and poses, which seem to be customized to fit. There is a very good chance that they are completely hand drawn in an illustration program.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 13, 2003
They show all the marks of a good photomanipulation.

They show the marks of using the images as a background to trace the major features and recreating them by hand

I agree. They look an awful lot like the characatures you can get at say disney or 6 flags. that is hand drawn. in this case maybe hand drawn, scanned then photoshopped.
PH
Photo_Help
Oct 13, 2003
Dave,

I agree about the amusement park look with the added benefit of being able to add color quickly on a computer. I am sure they aren’t scanned drawings though. It would be far too costly and time consuming to do it that way when you can use a tablet (wacom, etc…) and an illustration program.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 14, 2003
probably, i wouldn’t know. adobe apparently didn’t include the talent plug-in in this release either! <grumble><grumble> 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 14, 2003
from the site:

Each drawing is created by hand and then colored and rendered digitally to ensure the richest color quality.

(I’ve heard that somewhere before <whistling innocently>)

possibly means as you said created by hand using illustrator or something, but to me it sounds like drawn, scanned and/or traced and colored on the computer. either way, it’s pretty neat!
DM
Don_McCahill
Oct 14, 2003
Have you seen some of those guys work with charcoal at the street booths? They bang off a caricature in 2 minutes, and if you like it, they spend a couple more minutes coloring it. You pay $10 or $20 for 5 minutes of work.

No doubt one of these folks has learned to be just as fast on the PC.
O
Ol__Whozit
Oct 14, 2003
Not from the comparison of the art to the photo…Street artists are seldom THAT accurate, and tend to overemphasize some part or another of the face.
S
st0ne
Oct 14, 2003
Has to be done in photoshop.
Liquify and a few filters and it would be relatively easy..

this guy tells you his are done in ps..
<http://www.superdeformedmegafun.com/galleries.shtml>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections