putting white designs on a colored t-shirt?

UD
Posted By
usenet_daughter
Sep 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What products are available for putting a white design on a coloredt-shirt, using a computer, printer & iron ? Is any special equipmentneeded?
Thanks in advance…

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

T
tacitr
Sep 2, 2004
What products are available for putting a white design on a coloredt-shirt, using a computer, printer & iron ?

This is very difficult, because a printer can not "print" white.

What you have to do is not print the design, but cut it out. Get a sheet of iron-on inkjet material designed for dark T-shirts. Don’t print it–just cut the design out with an X-Acto knife and iron it on.

Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
MA
mohamed_al_dabbagh
Sep 2, 2004
What products are available for putting a white design on a coloredt-shirt

Hi!

Silk screen is the solution, of course when you need plenty of T-shirts to be printed. In silk screen, white pigment can be used.

Mohamed Al-Dabbagh
Senior Graphic Designer
A
Alasdair
Sep 2, 2004

please note email address requires editing

www.digitalmystic.co.uk

"Mad Scientist Jr" wrote in message
What products are available for putting a white design on a coloredt-shirt, using a computer, printer & iron ? Is any special equipmentneeded?
Thanks in advance…

My problem has always been getting rid of the white edges when printing on coloured materials so printing white image should be no problem with any t-shirt printing kits, tip wash and dry the material a couple of times to reduce wrinkles after washing after printing
Alasdair
UD
usenet_daughter
Sep 2, 2004
thanks for the suggestion. unfortunately, this would be rather hokey looking, especially considering my skill with an exact-o knife doesn’t exactly match up to postscript images on a laser printer !

i wonder does anyone make white ink cartridges for injet printers, where you just swap out your black ink cartridge, and print on a special "white ink" t-shirt transfer paper…
UD
usenet_daughter
Sep 2, 2004
i have never done anything related to silkscreening. does this require lots of expensive equipment and preperation and is only worth it for huge batches of t-shirts? can it be easily done from a computer printout?

thanks

(Mohamed Al-Dabbagh) wrote in message news:…

Hi!

Silk screen is the solution, of course when you need plenty of T-shirts to be printed. In silk screen, white pigment can be used.
Mohamed Al-Dabbagh
Senior Graphic Designer
L
lkrz
Sep 2, 2004
i wonder does anyone make white ink cartridges for injet printers, where you just swap out your black ink cartridge, and print on a special "white ink" t-shirt transfer paper…

Not that I’ve ever heard of. The only printer that actually prints in white is the ALPS and it is no longer sold in the US or manufactured. You can find some older ones on e-bay. The ALPS doesn’t use ink it uses a waxy type ink that fused from a ribbon.
Best bet would be to use a place like cafepress.com and have them do a couple. If you have them silkscreened, there will be additional charges and it’s pretty expensive to do just one or two.

http://www.madmousergraphics.com
web design, print design, photography
N
noone
Sep 3, 2004
In article ,
says…
Thanks in advance…

Avery, at one time, made iron-on transfers, that were on a white backing. Because of the thin white sub-strate, it would be more translucent, than opaque, i.e. some of the color of the shirt’s material will show through.

Otherwise, a good t-shirt silk-screener can take your design and put down white ink, where ever you want it.

Hunt
N
noone
Sep 3, 2004
In article ,
says…
i have never done anything related to silkscreening. does this require lots of expensive equipment and preperation and is only worth it for huge batches of t-shirts? can it be easily done from a computer printout?

thanks

(Mohamed Al-Dabbagh) wrote in message news:<
4972a

Hi!

Mohamed Al-Dabbagh
Senior Graphic Designer

One could build a set of silk frames, and purchase the alignment clamps, squeege, inks, and the like, then do liths of each ink, to be transfered to the silk with a special film (name eludes me at this moment, but it starts with an "a"), then using masking medium, paint around the silk to prevent ink from coming through, except where you want it. Next you have the alignment problem, but with great care and a lot of extra shirts, it can be done. However, most t-shirt silk-screeners will do small lots and it is usually not too expensive. I designed a 6-color graphic for my ski team, and had 18 shirts done for less than US$ 100, including setup and conversion of graphic to screens. If they really like the design, they may want to display it in their shop, and would work out a deal.

Hunt
UD
usenet_daughter
Sep 3, 2004
so there are products on the market for printing white ink on colored t-shirts?

"Alasdair" …

please note email address requires editing

www.digitalmystic.co.uk

"Mad Scientist Jr" wrote in message
Thanks in advance…

My problem has always been getting rid of the white edges when printing on coloured materials so printing white image should be no problem with any t-shirt printing kits, tip wash and dry the material a couple of times to reduce wrinkles after washing after printing
Alasdair
G
Gadgets
Sep 5, 2004
You can get A4 inkjet printable T-shirt transfer sheets for dark material – it starts opaque white… I saw it in Officeworks (Australia) but that’s probably not much help to you!

Cheers, Jason (remove … to reply)
Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com
T
tacitr
Sep 7, 2004
i have never done anything related to silkscreening. does this require lots of expensive equipment and preperation and is only worth it for huge batches of t-shirts?

It requires, at minimum, a screen, a screen press, a squeegie, a way to burn the screen (typically, this means photosensitive screen print emulsion, a vacuum frame, and a strong ultraviolet light bank), and the ink. The ink most often used for T-shirts is thermosetting, meaning you also need a dryer–a large machine which runs the T-0shirts down a conveyer belt which heats them to the curing point of the ink.

It requires a fair bit of effort and a good bit of skill. Typically, screen printing is only good for batches of 24 or more. Typical prices for screen printing a batch of 24 in one color range from about $6 to $12 apiece.

This is the only realistic way to get a solid white design on a colored T-shirt. I have made white designs by cutting out opaque white transfer material, but it’s a lot of work and the results are not as good. —
Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
G
Gadgets
Sep 8, 2004
Here’s a link to the inkjet paper, print on black:
<http://www.officeworks.com.au/b2c_011/b2c/init.do> Product number:
AUOWDTRT
Under paper – spec inkjet – officeworks

Cheers, Jason (remove … to reply)
Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections