P
Posted By
PeterM
Dec 14, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just purchased Photoshop v6, I’m wondering if I should update, and maybe can find out why. I’m using WinXP Home………Peter

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

M
mscir
Dec 14, 2003
If you don’t upgrade to 7 the 6.01 upgrade is probably a good idea.

PeterM wrote:

I just purchased Photoshop v6, I’m wondering if I should update, and maybe can find out why. I’m using WinXP Home………Peter

P
PeterM
Dec 14, 2003
Yes, thank you, I did that right away when I registered. Any suggestions for a tutorial?…….Peter

"mscir" wrote in message
If you don’t upgrade to 7 the 6.01 upgrade is probably a good idea.
PeterM wrote:

I just purchased Photoshop v6, I’m wondering if I should update, and
maybe
can find out why. I’m using WinXP Home………Peter
JC
James Connell
Dec 14, 2003
PeterM wrote:

i wouldn’t bother with 7 – just not enough diff, the CS upgrade is a good move, the added features make it worthwhile.
P
PeterM
Dec 14, 2003
I had no idea that there was a CS update, so that is the way to go. Then I can do it from version 6? What is the going price for the update, please let me know…..Peter

"James Connell" wrote in message
PeterM wrote:
maybe

i wouldn’t bother with 7 – just not enough diff, the CS upgrade is a good move, the added features make it worthwhile.
JC
James Connell
Dec 15, 2003
PeterM wrote:

I had no idea that there was a CS update, so that is the way to go. Then I can do it from version 6? What is the going price for the update, please let me know…..Peter

PeterM wrote:

maybe

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/main.html

i don’t know if it works with 6.
&
"pioe[rmv]"
Dec 15, 2003
James Connell wrote:

No, it is not, because it has Product Activation.

Per Inge Oestmoen, Norway
P
PeterM
Dec 15, 2003
Thanks……I went to the site, and was unable to find anywhere, if it’s possible/legal/authorized/qualified to upgrade from v6 to CS. I notice on ebay, people are paying 130.- to 150.- for a simple v7 update. What gives with that? Why don’t they just update to CS like I’m considering. I did find out that there is a standard version and a professional version. I have to read up on that……Peter

PeterM wrote:

I had no idea that there was a CS update, so that is the way to go. Then
I
can do it from version 6? What is the going price for the update, please
let
me know…..Peter

PeterM wrote:

maybe

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/main.html

i don’t know if it works with 6.
M
myJanee
Dec 15, 2003
In article , says…
Yes, thank you, I did that right away when I registered. Any suggestions for a tutorial?…….Peter

Hi there, Peter!
http://www.myjanee.com/ps.htm will get you to lots of Photoshop resources. Click Janee’s tutorials to get to mine, a collection of over 60 tutorials, mostly suitable for beginners. If you don’t see what you are looking for in my list, I have over 500 links to other Photoshop resource sites. Click PS Resource Links to find them. Good luck, and may your learning curve be smooth!
Always me, Janee

http://www.myjanee.com for Janee’s PS Tutorials and PS Resource Links, Janee’s Monthly Art Challenge, Gallery, and more!

You can find my email address at http://www.myjanee.com/contact.htm .

If you like my answers or my website, you may want to have a look at my publications.
Read about them at
http://www.myjanee.com/graphiccreations/publications.htm
JC
James Connell
Dec 15, 2003
PeterM wrote:

Thanks……I went to the site, and was unable to find anywhere, if it’s possible/legal/authorized/qualified to upgrade from v6 to CS. I notice on ebay, people are paying 130.- to 150.- for a simple v7 update. What gives with that? Why don’t they just update to CS like I’m considering. I did find out that there is a standard version and a professional version. I have to read up on that……Peter

$130 – $150 US is about what the discount price was when the upgrade first came out! ebay is a great place to sell – a bad place to buy. i sold some stuff there a few years ago and made 5x what is was worth – thank god for fools and ebay!!!
try sending adobe an email and ask, use the <support> -> <forums> menu. you’ll need to register but it’s free and it gives you access to the share.studio.adobe.com site that has tons of good stuff in it.

as for activation – that’s been cracked, it can be ignored now.
H
Hecate
Dec 15, 2003
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 15:18:25 -0800, "PeterM" wrote:

Only buy the CS upgrade if you’re happy to have activated software where you rely on Adobe to continue supporting it no matter how long you want to use it.

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
P
PeterM
Dec 15, 2003
Thank you for that great site, I will try there tonight……….I’ll post back…………Peter

"myJanee" wrote in message
In article , says…
Yes, thank you, I did that right away when I registered. Any suggestions
for
a tutorial?…….Peter

Hi there, Peter!
http://www.myjanee.com/ps.htm will get you to lots of Photoshop resources. Click Janee’s tutorials to get to mine, a collection of over 60 tutorials, mostly suitable for beginners. If you don’t see what you are looking for in my list, I have over 500 links to other Photoshop resource sites. Click PS Resource Links to find them. Good luck, and may your learning curve be smooth!
Always me, Janee

http://www.myjanee.com for Janee’s PS Tutorials and PS Resource Links, Janee’s Monthly Art Challenge, Gallery, and more!

You can find my email address at http://www.myjanee.com/contact.htm .
If you like my answers or my website, you may want to have a look at my publications.
Read about them at
http://www.myjanee.com/graphiccreations/publications.htm
R
res0r89p
Dec 15, 2003
You MAY be able to get a huge discount on an upgrade to Adobe Photoshop CS, since you just purchased 6. I would contact Adobe immediately to see if I qualify.
Peter Cowie
"PeterM" wrote in message

GP
Glenn Pechacek
Dec 15, 2003
"res0r89p" wrote in message
You MAY be able to get a huge discount on an upgrade to Adobe Photoshop
CS,
since you just purchased 6. I would contact Adobe immediately to see if I qualify.
Peter Cowie

For the huge discount or free upgrade it’s the retail purchase of version 7 between the announcement and shipping of CS. But version 7 and prior qualifies for the regular CS upgrade.
H
Hecate
Dec 16, 2003
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 16:44:37 -0800, "PeterM" wrote:

Because they don’t want to have to deal with activation and be at the mercy of Adobe.

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
A
Alberich
Dec 16, 2003
In article ,
says…
Because they don’t want to have to deal with activation and be at the mercy of Adobe.

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
Excuse me, but there is a STANDARD and a PROFESSIONAL version of Photoshop?! Are you referring to Photoshop Elements as the "standard" version or is there yet another version of Photoshop that’s being released under the CS monkier that’s being marketed as a "standard" version?
PS
Paul Skelcher
Dec 16, 2003
"Hecate" wrote
Because they don’t want to have to deal with activation and be at the
mercy of Adobe.

Hi everyone,
Just about ready for a computer upgrade, PS CS, and the bottom of the learning curve.
I would rather keep my personal and business database information, including PS, on a separate computer not connected to the internet. I understand that initial activation is required for PS CS, but is internet connection necessary for normal continual use?
Paul
H
Hecate
Dec 17, 2003
On 15 Dec 2003 19:47:11 -0600, Alberich
wrote:

In article ,
says…

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
Excuse me, but there is a STANDARD and a PROFESSIONAL version of Photoshop?! Are you referring to Photoshop Elements as the "standard" version or is there yet another version of Photoshop that’s being released under the CS monkier that’s being marketed as a "standard" version?

No, Peter is wrong. There is Photoshop, and there is a cut down version missing a number of professional tools called Elements, aimed at the consumer market. Elements is about 80% Photoshop at about 20% of the price. It’s great software for the right market, but it isn’t Photoshop.

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections