Posted By
Thirdcatgy
Aug 31, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I’ve got a dual processor system with 4 GIGs of RAM that I’m attempting to optimize for Photoshop usage.

I’ve tried the /PAE and /3GB scripting in the boot.ini file but Windows still seems to recognize only 2GIGs in physical usage.

My question is would it be best to set up a RAMDISK to handle the remaining 2GB or is there a better method and, if so, what type (brand) do you recommend?

Thanks,

Billy.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

A
adykes
Aug 31, 2004
In article ,
Billy wrote:
Hello,

I’ve got a dual processor system with 4 GIGs of RAM that I’m attempting to optimize for Photoshop usage.

I’ve tried the /PAE and /3GB scripting in the boot.ini file but Windows still seems to recognize only 2GIGs in physical usage.
My question is would it be best to set up a RAMDISK to handle the remaining 2GB or is there a better method and, if so, what type (brand) do you recommend?

Thanks,

Billy.

PAE stands for "Processor Address Extensions" and to make use of it your motheboard has to have the capability and operating system and the software application has to be programmed to use it.

It’s a server thing. Oracle DBMS can use it. I’ve never seen a desktop mobo that had PAE hardware. I’m sure you need to be running a flavor of Windows Server, also. Big Bucks.

Al Dykes
———–
adykes at p a n i x . c o m
J
jjs
Aug 31, 2004
"Billy" wrote in message
Hello,

Your machine cannot use more than 1.8gb of RAM per process. Period. For CS (Photoshop) allocate 80% and just enjoy the remaining RAM to run simultaneous applications.
B
bagal
Aug 31, 2004
Hi

How will CS respond in 64 bit architecture?

Artio

"jjs" wrote in message
"Billy" wrote in message
Hello,

Your machine cannot use more than 1.8gb of RAM per process. Period. For CS (Photoshop) allocate 80% and just enjoy the remaining RAM to run simultaneous applications.

LO
Lee Oswald Ving
Aug 31, 2004
"Arty Facting" wrote in
news:ff1Zc.147$:

Hi

It will use slightly less than 2 gig of RAM, no matter how much more you’ve got in your system.

This will remain true until a full-blown 64-bit OS is implemented (and OSX remains debateable) and PS is then re-coded for the new memory structure.
B
bagal
Aug 31, 2004
I heard that XP 64 bit allows for upto 1 terrabyte of memory management

Artio

"Lee Oswald Ving" wrote in message
"Arty Facting" wrote in

Hi

It will use slightly less than 2 gig of RAM, no matter how much more you’ve
got in your system.

This will remain true until a full-blown 64-bit OS is implemented (and OSX remains debateable) and PS is then re-coded for the new memory structure.
J
Jim
Aug 31, 2004
"Arty Facting" wrote in message
Artio
Perhaps that is correct, but until PS is recoded, tecompiled, and relinked for 64 bit architecture, you will be limited to (only!) 1.8 GB files.

It may be that the 64 bit OS will allow 32 bit applications to run, but they will still fun in a 32 bit environment.
Jim
B
bagal
Aug 31, 2004
eeee i can’t w8

artio

"Jim" wrote in message
Artio
Perhaps that is correct, but until PS is recoded, tecompiled, and relinked for 64 bit architecture, you will be limited to (only!) 1.8 GB files.
It may be that the 64 bit OS will allow 32 bit applications to run, but they
will still fun in a 32 bit environment.
Jim

EG
Eric Gill
Aug 31, 2004
"Arty Facting" wrote in
news:cd3Zc.188$:

16TB, if you are talking about RAM, half of which can only be used by the kernal. 512TB if you are talking about page file (i.e., Virtual Memory).

IOW, a shitload.

32-bit aplications running under Win64 can still only use the slightly less than 2GB we’re currently at, just as on OSX.

Unfortunately, M$ has pushed back the release…again.

Right now, and at least for many months, there is no true 64-bit platform for PS to run on.

"Arty Facting" wrote in

Hi

got in your system.

B
bagal
Aug 31, 2004
grrr i h8 being patient

Artio

ps – Ta!

"Eric Gill" wrote in message
"Arty Facting" wrote in
news:cd3Zc.188$:

16TB, if you are talking about RAM, half of which can only be used by the kernal. 512TB if you are talking about page file (i.e., Virtual Memory).
IOW, a shitload.

32-bit aplications running under Win64 can still only use the slightly less than 2GB we’re currently at, just as on OSX.

Unfortunately, M$ has pushed back the release…again.

Right now, and at least for many months, there is no true 64-bit platform for PS to run on.

"Arty Facting" wrote in

Hi

got in your system.

X
Xalinai
Aug 31, 2004
Billy wrote:

Hello,

This should only work for special server versions of Windows. Your apps will nver see the second half of the 4 GB – and PS is not able to handle more than 2 GB of application address space.

With 4 GB Windows will use up to 2 GB for the system and file buffers and up to two GB for application address space – that will give you about 1700 Megabytes available for image data in PS.

The maximum size of a ram disk would be about 1 GB before you take ram aside for the ramdisk that could be better used directly by the system.

Michael
X
Xalinai
Aug 31, 2004
Arty Facting wrote:

Hi

Nothing special. PS CS is a 32bit application that follows the limits for 32bit applications: 2 GB address space per application where the resident part of the application reduces the size of the data handled by it.

Michael

Artio

"jjs" wrote in message
"Billy" wrote in message
Hello,

X
Xalinai
Aug 31, 2004
Arty Facting wrote:

Not really. 64bits allow for direct addressing of several million exabytes of memory – but you need an operating system and after that an application written for 64bit mode.

Neither Windows nor Photoshop support 64bit mode and Windows has to come first. Maybe someone could compile a 64bit version of Linux and The Gimp.

Michael

Artio

"Arty Facting" wrote in

Hi

got in your system.

B
bagal
Aug 31, 2004
This is good Xalinai

Is there a recommended best option set up?

R-T-O

"Xalinai" wrote in message
Billy wrote:

Hello,

This should only work for special server versions of Windows. Your apps will nver see the second half of the 4 GB – and PS is not able to handle more than 2 GB of application address space.

With 4 GB Windows will use up to 2 GB for the system and file buffers and up to two GB for application address space – that will give you about 1700 Megabytes available for image data in PS.

The maximum size of a ram disk would be about 1 GB before you take ram aside for the ramdisk that could be better used directly by the system.
Michael
JD
John Doe
Sep 1, 2004
I thought the 2GB limit was per application and not total!?!?!

John

This is good Xalinai

R-T-O

Billy wrote:

Hello,

Michael

J
jjs
Sep 1, 2004
"John Doe" wrote in message

That’s correct.
A
adykes
Sep 1, 2004
In article wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
Hello,

Where does the 1.8GB figure come from ?

Don’t confuse adress space with physical memory usage.

Al Dykes
———–
A
adykes
Sep 1, 2004
In article <ch2uqd$tia$07$>,
Xalinai wrote:
Arty Facting wrote:

Hi

Nothing special. PS CS is a 32bit application that follows the limits for 32bit applications: 2 GB address space per application where the resident part of the application reduces the size of the data handled by it.

Michael

It’s actually 2GB per proccess. An application can be written to use multiple processes (or threads), which is necessary to be able to make full use of a computer with multiple processors.

It’s not clear to me that the 2GB-per-process limitation is a bottleneck for increased performance for any mass-market use of Photoshop. If you get someone that uses Photoshop on high-res 8×10 view camera images maybe that’s another story.

A verison of PS that is coded for threads would be the next step up in performance, i.e. more CPU cycles. Adobe is not going to spend money on developing niche-sales versions unless they think they can charge for it. It wouldn’t be cheap.

I’ll listen to someone that is knowledgable about bleading-edge PS performance. I’m not.

Artio

"jjs" wrote in message
"Billy" wrote in message
Hello,

Al Dykes
———–
J
jjs
Sep 1, 2004
"Al Dykes" wrote in message

🙂 It’s what the system monitor shows for CS, and it is correct.
J
jjs
Sep 1, 2004

It’s actually 2GB per proccess. An application can be written to use multiple processes (or threads), which is necessary to be able to make full use of a computer with multiple processors.

Both my dual-processor machines, one a Wintel (Gateway) and the other a Mac G5 (with 4gb RAM) use nominal 2gb (1.8gb) max. Period.

It’s not clear to me that the 2GB-per-process limitation is a bottleneck for increased performance for any mass-market use of Photoshop. If you get someone that uses Photoshop on high-res 8×10 view camera images maybe that’s another story.

And that’s what we do. 🙂 Schleping around a 1.5gb image is painfull.
JD
John Doe
Sep 1, 2004
Also, don’t forget that some of the memory has to go for Windows itself. That is going to eat up some of the 2GB. I hope Longhorn clears up a little of this, but I suspect we will have to weight for 64-bit processors to become the norm.

John

"jjs" wrote in message

Your machine cannot use more than 1.8gb of RAM per process. Period. For
CS
(Photoshop) allocate 80% and just enjoy the remaining RAM to run simultaneous applications.

B
bagal
Sep 1, 2004
Forgive me JD – most if not all of your responses have been 100% pragmatic – exception (?)

This is not a time for pandoring to norm or the commonality of the usual

This is a quantum leap and has to be challenged like a high jump – all the enrgy goes in first – then the explosion – then the result

energy first – results later

BONGO!

Articus

"John Doe" wrote in message
Also, don’t forget that some of the memory has to go for Windows itself. That is going to eat up some of the 2GB. I hope Longhorn clears up a little
of this, but I suspect we will have to weight for 64-bit processors to become the norm.

John

"jjs" wrote in message

Your machine cannot use more than 1.8gb of RAM per process. Period. For
CS
(Photoshop) allocate 80% and just enjoy the remaining RAM to run simultaneous applications.

X
Xalinai
Sep 4, 2004
Al Dykes wrote:

In article <ch2uqd$tia$07$>,
Xalinai wrote:
Arty Facting wrote:

Hi

Michael

A verison of PS that is coded for threads would be the next step up in performance, i.e. more CPU cycles. Adobe is not going to spend money on developing niche-sales versions unless they think they can charge for it. It wouldn’t be cheap.

Be careful with memory model assumptions. Usually *threads* share the same address space. To get separate address spaces, you need to have separate *processes* and create a means of communication between your processes that doesn’t require too much memory for itself.

Michael
X
Xalinai
Sep 4, 2004
John Doe wrote:

Yes, this is the adrress space available for each application – we talk about the view of the system photoshop gets, don’t we?

I have no own experience with systems beyond 4 GB, so I can’t tell whether apps get real memory under a current Windows version if there is more memory available (this would mean that the operating system can actually handle more memory).

Michael

John

This is good Xalinai

R-T-O

Billy wrote:

Hello,

Michael

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections