H
Posted By
harrillj
Oct 12, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Whenever I click on the type tool, Photoshop 7.01 freezes. Need to use task manager or even the PC’s reset button to get out of the freeze. I have tried it on any type of image, same result every time.

It is a relatively new install on a newly built PC. Installed about week ago. Everything else seems to be fine except the Type Tool.

P4 3.0 GHz, 2 gig of DDR400 memory, Win XP SP1.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
dave_milbut
Oct 13, 2003
check the faq about system crashes and lockups.
H
harrillj
Oct 15, 2003
Looks like a plug-in conflict. I reinstalled Photoshop and before any plug-ns were installed, and I have many, the type tool worked. It even worked after I installed several plug-ins. I then assumed it was a bad install because I had a bad memory dimm at the time of time of PS install, I did not check again and spent the next 5 hours reinstalling all the plug-ins. Then when completed, I tried it, and the type tool froze Photoshop again. So now I will install one by one until I find the culprit, I hope.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 15, 2003
I wouldn’t install ANY plugins for a couple of days and see if it locks up. Systems under XP (and win 2k) that totally lock (as opposed to an application locking up forcing crtl-alt-delete to terminate the app) are caused by either 1) bad hardware, 2) extremely buggy low level (sound, video, etc) device driver (and in most cases a device driver will only produce a blue screen), 3) bad bios.

anything else (application error) is caught by the os because of the way the system is designed (process isolation). It’s designed so that a crashing application (photoshop, plug-ins, etc) CAN NOT bring down the entire system. Only the failing process should lock.
P
Phosphor
Oct 15, 2003
Put ALL 3rd-party plugins in an auxiliary plugins folder, then point to it in your preferences.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections