Dec 13, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 20:14:34 -0700, Leith Cassone
wrote:

Hello,

I have been following the group for a long time and I have seen a lot of posts addressing the color Gamut of the LCD monitors vs. the CRT. I have seen a lot of opinions both ways for PS use. I have always wanted one, but used the excuse above to talk myself out of one. Now my wife has complicated the issue by offering to buy me one for our anniversary. I use PS and do a lot of photo editing, adjusting, and retouching.

I am finding it hard to resist so I would like to ask:

Is the color Gamut delta between the two solutions large enough that I would notice it.

I run 1600×1200 any recommendations on a 19-21 inch LCD in the $800-$1000 range that support that resolution that you have experience using?

Thanks for any input,
Leith Cassone
—————————————————–

All Outgoing E-Mails scanned with Norton Antivirus.

All posts posted with Forte Agent: Newreader
and Email program at www.forteinc.com

The ViewSonic VX2000 has worked out well for me. It’s priced at about $1000, and is 1600X1200. It also offers color temp adjustment, 600:1 contrast and other nice features, and the viewing angle is very good. I’ve had mine for over a year now with no complaints.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

HM
Henry_Mont
Feb 4, 2004
How to Calibrate an LCD Monitor with PS 7
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Feb 4, 2004
Henry,

Generally speaking, you don’t….not unless you have a high-end LCD monitor that provides controls inclusive of both contrast and brightness, and quite likely other color adjustments. If you do attempt calibration, Adobe Gamma is said to be for CRTs only and thus you’d need a 3rd-party monitor profiling package and use its profile-loader in lieu of Adobe Gamma’s.

Regards,

Daryl
HM
Henry_Mont
Feb 4, 2004
Daryl,
I left the monitor alone but my whites with PS looked yellow and the colors looked bad, what sould i do?

thanks

henry
HM
Henry_Mont
Feb 4, 2004
any comments anyone?
HS
Hania_Stadtler
Feb 23, 2004
Things look different on my new LCD monitor, depending on what angle I am viewing from. How do I determine what the printed pics will look like? Seems everything looks better on the screen than what I have had printed so far. (Windows XP, Elements 2.0, Gateway computer). Thanks.

Hania
JH
Jim_Hess
Feb 23, 2004
Some people maintain that LCD monitors are not as well suited for use with Photoshop Elements. There is a theory that a good CRT monitor will provide an image that is much closer to what your printer will produce. Personally, I have had very good success with my LCD monitor. I used the Adobe Gamma utility to calibrate the monitor, but I did not adjust the contrast as instructed. I left both the brightness and the contrast set as they were originally, but I did go through the rest of the setup procedure. I still found that the colors were off a little, so I left Photoshop Elements open without any image being displayed so that I had the gray desktop color visible. I ran the Adobe Gamma utility again and did the color adjustments until that gray area looked as neutral gray as possible. I have used the resulting profile now for several months and have been satisfied with it. However, I’m sure one of the experts will tell you that you should do something quite different, which may include getting rid of your monitor. But I am happy with my setup.
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 23, 2004
Part of your question revolves around the issue of angle. I read somewhere very recently that the monitor should be adjusted so you’re looking straight at it, otherwise you will get color distortions. So, before you make any attempts to calibrate it, decide on a comfortable viewing angle and stick with it. I’d think the most important thing is consistency. Once you arrive at a position, Jim’s method should work really well for getting the adjustments made.

Some people just simply have more patience for the calibration thing, too. Jim is happy with his match, but I didn’t have quite as much success. Part of my problem was probably the fact I knew I’d soon be able to go back to using the LCD for all purpose viewing and a CRT for editing, so I didn’t stick with it long enough. There are all kinds of people using LCDs with Elements, so getting the color adjusted properly can be done. Adobe Gamma came with Elements, so you should be able to use a process virtually identical to what Jim described. I use a Mac and couldn’t use Adobe Gamma, so when I was fiddling with my monitor, I put an image on the screen that I’d already printed on another system, and then I played with settings until what I was seeing on the monitor looked like the picture I had sitting on the desk. I got pretty close!
BB
brent_bertram
Feb 23, 2004
If your LCD screen came with factory drivers and an ICC profile, see this techdoc for using that profile in creating your Adobe Gamma profile.
<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/1403e.htm>

🙂

Brent
HS
Hania_Stadtler
Feb 24, 2004
Jim, Beth, Brent, thank you so much for your help. I will have my husband help me calibrate the monitor and will pay attention to the tilt angle. You guys/gals are the best. I like the new challenge with all the pics. I think I’ll print some and put them next to the computer and then I’ll know who is who. Thanks again.

Hania
PW
Pjotr Wedersteers
Jul 8, 2004
Herbert L. Boyd, Jr. wrote:
How does one calibrate a LCD monitor? Can you use Adobe Gamma?
Thank you

Adobe Gamma did not work for my Samsung Syncmaster 191N. I used Natural Color, Samsung sent it to me via email yesterday. Now it sort of looks ok, at least way better than before.

Check post: Monitor Calibration Question in this forum for some links by people to DIY-calibrate links.
Pjotr
H
hlbjr1
Jul 8, 2004

Thank you
H
Hecate
Jul 9, 2004
On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 01:17:18 -0700, "Herbert L. Boyd, Jr." wrote:

Thank you
Gamma doesn’t work with LCD monitors. Your only choice for proper calibration is a spider or guesswork.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
C
cantexadian
Jul 9, 2004
"Winfan" wrote in message
I do a lot of work with photoshop, using a 22 inch CRT (IIyama) monitor. For reasons of saving space on my desk, I am considering replacing my CRT monitor with a 22 inch LCD one.
I understand however that the image quality on a LCD screen is not as good as it is on a CRT monitor.
Appreciate your comments.

LCD monitors are much better choice for users who:
Have control over their printing and/or use their computer for other things than exclusive PS correction.(Surfing, watching movies, daytrading etc). There is no flickering, no electron gun shooting electrons at you from 1 ft. away. They run cooler, last 10 times longer, take up less space, and the overall image is totally superior to anything but the best CRT monitors. The Hi End(expensive) CRT monitors have better subtle color capabilities, but your printer won’t print most of these colors anyway, so why worry about it. If you sit in a color corrected room, aren’t partially colorblind, aren’t over 40 years old, aren’t presbyopic, have professional imaging equipment(cameras and scanners) And a professional printing environment you will probably appreciate the difference between LCD and CRT monitors. Other than that, don’t waste your money on CRT’s. If you ever try a Dual Screen LCD monitor setup, you will never go back to CRT’s.

Gamma doesn’t work with LCD monitors. Your only choice for proper calibration is a spider or guesswork.
Of course it works. I use Matrox Dual head video card and Gamma only works on one screen, which I view as an advantage, because I use 2 different color temps AND 2 different resolutions to work my images. Things that are not apparent at one setting are glaringly obvious at other settings(saturation, repairs, sharpening).
My LCD monitors have 4 color temp setting, one of which is Custom. I have Custom set to emulate my Printer. I do most work in Native, which is very good for every day use and I push a button to go to Custom for color correction of my images. It works very well this way. nikki
P
pshaw
Nov 15, 2004
has anyone used the eizo ColorEdge CG21? its about $3,000 ….sigh ….

steve
RS
RODNEY SCHWEDLER
Nov 21, 2005
I’m trying to decide on an LCD monitor for my work with Photoshop. I would prefer a wide format (1920×1200) so I have plenty of room for my palettes.

Reviews I’ve seen look good for the Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW and the ViewSonic VP231wb. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Are there any others that I should look into?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Rod
W
wtrplnet
Nov 21, 2005
"joex" wrote in message
I’m trying to decide on an LCD monitor for my work with Photoshop. I would prefer a wide format (1920×1200) so I have plenty of room for my palettes.
Reviews I’ve seen look good for the Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW and the ViewSonic VP231wb. Does anyone have any experience with either of these?
Are
there any others that I should look into?

Rod

I asked here about a month ago and got some good advice. I’m not a graphics pro, so my needs may not be as demanding as others. View Sonic was within my budget and got lots of good reports.

The main problem I had was actually finding a monitor I could see in person. I refused to purchase a monitor I couldn’t see in action. I did a LOT of research on the net, there is lots of info out there, the problem was having info and an actual product come together.

I had a list of monitors to look at and the only one I could actually find on a retail floor was an NEC Opticlear MultiSync LCD 1970GX. I found it at MicroCenter. At the store it looked ‘good enough.’ It was more than I wanted to spend but I wasn’t going to drop $400 on a moniter I might end up hating. I spent $600 for the NEC including tax.

When I got it home and set up, and adjusted, I was thrilled with it. I still am. I thought my old CRT was decent, not even close. The colors are not what I’m used to. Rich and true colors, totally saturated. The dot pitch is fine, see the adjustments menu to make text readable.

I spent a lot more on this monitor than I have on computers recently, but I expect it’s the last monitor I will ever purchase. It’s pretty cool to turn a monitor on and realize, yeah, that was money well spent.

I have no idea if it is what you need. Lots of the LCD monitors I looked at begged the question "who would want to look at that all day?"

Try before you buy
N
neon
Nov 21, 2005
wtrplnet wrote:

"joex" wrote in message

Reviews I’ve seen look good for the Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW and the ViewSonic VP231wb. Does anyone have any experience with either of these?

Are

Rod

I asked here about a month ago and got some good advice. I’m not a graphics pro, so my needs may not be as demanding as others. View Sonic was within my budget and got lots of good reports.

The main problem I had was actually finding a monitor I could see in person. I refused to purchase a monitor I couldn’t see in action. I did a LOT of research on the net, there is lots of info out there, the problem was having info and an actual product come together.

I had a list of monitors to look at and the only one I could actually find on a retail floor was an NEC Opticlear MultiSync LCD 1970GX. I found it at MicroCenter. At the store it looked ‘good enough.’ It was more than I wanted to spend but I wasn’t going to drop $400 on a moniter I might end up hating. I spent $600 for the NEC including tax.

When I got it home and set up, and adjusted, I was thrilled with it. I still am. I thought my old CRT was decent, not even close. The colors are not what I’m used to. Rich and true colors, totally saturated. The dot pitch is fine, see the adjustments menu to make text readable.
I spent a lot more on this monitor than I have on computers recently, but I expect it’s the last monitor I will ever purchase. It’s pretty cool to turn a monitor on and realize, yeah, that was money well spent.
I have no idea if it is what you need. Lots of the LCD monitors I looked at begged the question "who would want to look at that all day?"
Try before you buy
check out the samsungs, eizos, ilyamas and apple cinema displays.
RS
RODNEY SCHWEDLER
Nov 22, 2005
Thanks for the info.

I checked out the Apple. It is a great monitor. A bit pricey, but I may be able to swing it. I’ve heard, though, that they sometimes have compatability problems with PC’s. I have a Radeon 9700 Video Card on a machine runnig at
3.04 mhz and 1GB RAM. I use PS CS2 and do a lot of photograph touch up.

Rod

"neon" wrote in message
wtrplnet wrote:

"joex" wrote in message

I’m trying to decide on an LCD monitor for my work with Photoshop. I would
prefer a wide format (1920×1200) so I have plenty of room for my palettes.

Are

Rod

I asked here about a month ago and got some good advice. I’m not a graphics
pro, so my needs may not be as demanding as others. View Sonic was within
my budget and got lots of good reports.

The main problem I had was actually finding a monitor I could see in person.
I refused to purchase a monitor I couldn’t see in action. I did a LOT of research on the net, there is lots of info out there, the problem was having
info and an actual product come together.

I had a list of monitors to look at and the only one I could actually find
on a retail floor was an NEC Opticlear MultiSync LCD 1970GX. I found it at
MicroCenter. At the store it looked ‘good enough.’ It was more than I wanted to spend but I wasn’t going to drop $400 on a moniter I might end up
hating. I spent $600 for the NEC including tax.

When I got it home and set up, and adjusted, I was thrilled with it. I still am. I thought my old CRT was decent, not even close. The colors are
not what I’m used to. Rich and true colors, totally saturated. The dot pitch is fine, see the adjustments menu to make text readable.
I spent a lot more on this monitor than I have on computers recently, but I
expect it’s the last monitor I will ever purchase. It’s pretty cool to turn
a monitor on and realize, yeah, that was money well spent.
I have no idea if it is what you need. Lots of the LCD monitors I looked at
begged the question "who would want to look at that all day?"
Try before you buy
check out the samsungs, eizos, ilyamas and apple cinema displays.
P
Peter
Feb 18, 2006
I’d like to change/upgrade my monitor. Now I’ve read a few write-ups which say that any reliable type crt’s are gone. One must look into lcd type monitor nowadays. I don’t really know what prerequisites should be sought other than it should be s-ips adjustable. Does anyone have any suggestions or input to offer. I do realize LaCie would surely have what I’m looking for but I’m an amateur and cost is a factor unfortunately.

Thanks
B
bbro
Apr 7, 2008
Using PSE4. Have just built a new system around Intel Core 2 Quad: Last item needed is a GOOD LCD monitor for PSE 4. Presently using a 17 inch CRT, but like me is getting old. I’m looking for a 19 to 22inch up to$300.00. Am retired and can’t afford a lot.
Thanks for your help.

Mr. Bro
B
Bob
Apr 7, 2008
You’ll get better answers if you post to a hardware newsgroup. microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

Also have a look here:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859 -1&id=pcat17071&type=page&ks=960&st=LCD+moni tor&sc=Global&cp=1&sp=&qp=crootcategoryid%23 %23-1%23%23-1%7E%7Eq4c4344206d6f6e69746f72%7E%7Encabcat05000 00%23%233%23%231p&list=y&usc=All+Categories&nrp= 15&iht=n

"Mr. Bro" wrote in message
Using PSE4. Have just built a new system around Intel Core 2 Quad: Last item needed is a GOOD LCD monitor for PSE 4. Presently using a 17 inch CRT, but like me is getting old. I’m looking for a 19 to 22inch up to$300.00. Am retired and can’t afford a lot.
Thanks for your help.

Mr. Bro
B
Bob AZ
Apr 8, 2008
I’m looking for a 19 to
22inch up to$300.00. Am retired and can’t afford a lot.
Thanks for your help.

� � � � Mr. Bro

Peddle some stuff on Ebay, add it to what you have and buy a 24" Dell Monitor. But at any rate be sure to get at least a 1000 to 1 contrast ratio. Or more. It will make a difference.

What Quad core board and processor did you get? How much memory?

Bob AZ
B
bbro
Apr 9, 2008
Intel Core 2 Quad, 2GB 1066FSB of memory, to upgrade to 4GB, should be able to use only 3GB as I have a 32bit Windows XP. Video card is a nVidia En 8600GT with 512MB DDR3.

Mr. Bro

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 19:50:01 -0700 (PDT), Bob AZ
wrote:

I’m looking for a 19 to
22inch up to$300.00. Am retired and can’t afford a lot.
Thanks for your help.

? ? ? ? Mr. Bro

Peddle some stuff on Ebay, add it to what you have and buy a 24" Dell Monitor. But at any rate be sure to get at least a 1000 to 1 contrast ratio. Or more. It will make a difference.

What Quad core board and processor did you get? How much memory?
Bob AZ
B
bbro
Apr 9, 2008
Where else to better get an answer then this NG. Everyone here has an monitor that is specific to use for this type of graphics. I’m not a gamer so after some research have found monitors a specific to a useage, where some are good for gamers and not photography and some are good for photography and not for gamers.

Mr. Bro

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 08:00:24 -0400, "Bob" wrote:

You’ll get better answers if you post to a hardware newsgroup. microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment

Also have a look here:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859 -1&id=pcat17071&type=page&ks=960&st=LCD+moni tor&sc=Global&cp=1&sp=&qp=crootcategoryid%23 %23-1%23%23-1%7E%7Eq4c4344206d6f6e69746f72%7E%7Encabcat05000 00%23%233%23%231p&list=y&usc=All+Categories&nrp= 15&iht=n

Thanks for your help.

Mr. Bro
B
Bob
Apr 9, 2008
The newsgroups I suggested are much more active.

Where else to better get an answer then this NG. Everyone here has an monitor that is specific to use for this type of graphics. I’m not a gamer so after some research have found monitors a specific to a useage, where some are good for gamers and not photography and some are good for photography and not for gamers.

Mr. Bro

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 08:00:24 -0400, "Bob" wrote:

Also have a look here:

Thanks for your help.

Mr. Bro
RG
Roy G
Apr 11, 2008
Thanks for your help.

Mr. Bro

Hi.

The makers name is not too important, it is the screen technology which matters.

There are 3 types TN – IPS – VA.

The TNs are the cheapies and not so good for Photography.

The other types are the best. If the specs do not mention Screen / Panel Technology then it will almost certainly be a TN.

There are a variety of sub types, SIPS & PVA are common variations.

The Samsung Models ending in "T" are all VAs or PVAs, (or were when I bought my 214T).

Belinea have some of these good types, and they are probably cheaper than Dell or Samsung.

Hope this helps.

Roy G
M
mick
Apr 11, 2008
Bro, one thing to consider is to purchase a monitor that comes with an installation disk containing drivers. Many monitors do not have their own drivers and are "Plug and Play" and use generic Windows drivers. These monitors self adjust their settings whenever the computer is booted and cannot load custom monitor profiles (settings) developed by using monitor calibration devices, like the Colorvision Spyder products. If you want your printed photographs to more or less match what you see on the monitor you will want to calibrate the monitor and not have it constantly revert to its default settings. I see this as a more important issue than a specific monitor brand with particular specifications, e.g., contrast ratios as presented by manufacturers are highly variable and suspect and do not reliably suggest uniformity between models or between brands. I treat monitors as commodities and use the calibration device to set them up. I have three LCD monitors of lower cost and have been completely satisified (except for the one that turned out to be plug and play, which is fine for everything except for exacting photographic work).
B
brookgarden
Apr 11, 2008
I have a 19" LG L196WTQ and it is great for PSE.
Google it and compare the specs to other 19" widescreen monitors. Note: sometimes it is listed as LG 196WTQ (without the L prefix) A larger LCD may be better, but I don’t know enough to tell you. Hope this helps.
Vicki
B
brookgarden
Apr 11, 2008
The LG L196WTQ comes with its own drivers and a pdf installation guide, which is very helpful.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections