DH
Posted By
Dennis Hughes
Aug 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using CS & am still somewhat a beginner at this incredible journey.

As a learning exercise, I thought I would create a set of colored Olympic rings.

I used the marquee tool to make 5 circles, each on different layer. Then I used the stroke tool to give the rings some width.

Then I used the wand to select each of the rings and used the bucket to put in the blue, black, red, yellow & green colors.

I’ve moved the rings around to where they look natural, but the linking of the rings seems a bit more complex.

Three questions,

1. Is there a better way to make the rings?

2. Does anybody have the specific color specs for each of the colors?

3. How would you link the rings where some part of each ring is in front of another ring and some portion is in back of other rings.

Thanks,

Dennis

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

C
Clyde
Aug 30, 2004
Dennis Hughes wrote:
As a learning exercise, I thought I would create a set of colored Olympic rings.

I used the marquee tool to make 5 circles, each on different layer. Then I used the stroke tool to give the rings some width.
Then I used the wand to select each of the rings and used the bucket to put in the blue, black, red, yellow & green colors.

I’ve moved the rings around to where they look natural, but the linking of the rings seems a bit more complex.

Three questions,

3. How would you link the rings where some part of each ring is in front of another ring and some portion is in back of other rings.
Thanks,

Dennis

Since you have them on separate layers, that helps. Now the trick is to select on one layer and erase on another.

Pick the ring that is on top that you want to be on the bottom.

Select the ring area in that layer. (Magic Wand works well enough.)

Click on the layer that appears below it.

"E" for Erase

Erase the overlapping part of the ring.

Clyde
N
noone
Aug 30, 2004
In article <WayYc.7883$>,
says…

Three questions,

Thanks,

Dennis

1.) Illustrator would probably be the best place to start, but as you are learning CS, it should work fine, provided that you are not going to have to manipulate the output size, and are not going out for commercial printing.

2.) I haven’t a clue.

For 3.) the easiest way, that comes to my mind, is to use a Layer Mask on each ring, to hide part of it, so that the ring on the next lower Layer is hidden, allowing the image of the "lower" ring to appear. Also, with Layer Masks, you can always go back and modify the Mask, provided that you Save the un- Flattened image in PSD format – a good idea for all multi-Layered images.

Hunt
T
tacitr
Aug 30, 2004

That’s one way to do it; another way is to create the rings as vector objects, using the Ellipse tool.

Don’t use the Paint Bucket tool to fill a selection with color; that’s not what it’s for.

In many programs, like Photo-Paint, the Paint Bucket tool is a fill tool. It fills an area with color. In Photoshop, you fill an area with color by holding down the ALT key on the keyboard and pressing the Delete key.

The Paint Bucket is a combination of the Magic Wand and Fill command. It looks at the color of the pixel you clicked on, then spreads out in all directions, filling as it goes, until it hits an area of different color. It’s not intended just to fill an area with color–and if you happen to click on something that is already filled, you won’t get the results you expect.

I’ve moved the rings around to where they look natural, but the linking of
the rings seems a bit more complex.

You link the rings by deleting the part of each ring that should go behind its neighbor. There are a couple ways to do this. the first and easiest is to select the part of one ring that overlaps its neighbor and press DELETE on the keyboard; however, this actually deletes the part of the ring.

The better way is to use a layer mask. Select the part of the ring which should be behind its neighbor, Select->Inverse, then Select->Save Selection and choose Layer Mask in the dialog.

Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
BV
Big V
Aug 30, 2004
"Dennis Hughes" wrote in message

Then I used the wand to select each of the rings and used the bucket to
put
in the blue, black, red, yellow & green colors.

Three questions,

3. How would you link the rings where some part of each ring is in front
of
another ring and some portion is in back of other rings.
Thanks,

Dennis

answer to 2: scan a trusted color pic of the rings then sample each color from the scan.

caveat: don’t use it for commercial purposes, just like the Oscar statue, the IOC views their rings as sacred and will sue to retain image.
M
mweisman
Aug 30, 2004

2. look here for logos in general, mostly official.
Here’s a search for olympic logos:

http://web.brandsoftheworld.com/search/?action=1&text=ol ympic

DH
Dennis Hughes
Aug 30, 2004
Thanks for the great suggestions. This is only a personal exercise, so there will be no "use" of this. Its god to know about the paint bucket and also making the rings as vector objects using the ellipse tool. Have to read up on that. And the logo site will provide some good ideas for the future.

Thanks all. This turned into a gold mine.

Dennis

The mask sounds good, leaving the ring for future uses and "Dennis Hughes" wrote in message

Then I used the wand to select each of the rings and used the bucket to
put
in the blue, black, red, yellow & green colors.

Three questions,

3. How would you link the rings where some part of each ring is in front
of
another ring and some portion is in back of other rings.
Thanks,

Dennis

DG
David Goerndt
Aug 31, 2004
"Dennis Hughes" wrote in message
.. Is there a better way to make the rings?

The Olympic Rings have their own PMS colors.

David Goerndt
H
heathrowe
Aug 31, 2004
Follow the steps outlined in this tutorial.
http://www.heathrowe.com/tuts/rings.asp

This method uses layer masks, so there is no need to delete any portion of your work.

cheers
heathrowe

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections