J
Posted By
jwm2
Dec 13, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a gig of mem. fast machine. PS7 browser vveerryy slow. CS , slow. I like to
manage images in compupic pro. All has worked fine up until CS. I have compupic setup
to double click thumbnail and it opens in PS. Now with CS after working of file when I save
the file it won’t let me save it because the files are all open in compupic.("can not save
file is open in another document") This didn’t happen in PS6 or PS7. If I select off folder in
compupic then saving the file in CS works. I need to know if it is PS or Compupic that is
causing the conflict.
OR…
How do I get the PS browser to move FAST!!
John M.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

H
Hecate
Dec 14, 2003
On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 21:41:29 -0500, "jwm2" wrote:

I have a gig of mem. fast machine. PS7 browser vveerryy slow. CS , slow. I like to
manage images in compupic pro. All has worked fine up until CS. I have compupic setup
to double click thumbnail and it opens in PS. Now with CS after working of file when I save
the file it won’t let me save it because the files are all open in compupic.("can not save
file is open in another document") This didn’t happen in PS6 or PS7. If I select off folder in
compupic then saving the file in CS works. I need to know if it is PS or Compupic that is
causing the conflict.
OR…
How do I get the PS browser to move FAST!!
John M.
I’m amazed that you could save a file that’s open in another application. Are you really sure? You shouldn’t be able to do this in the first place.

The most likely reason why you could before would a badly written piece of software which would allow you to have a file open in two places and still save it from one or the other. It’s up to you to decide which piece of software was badly written and now exhibits correct behaviour.

As to your second question – the speed of the browser wil;l depend upon how much memory is allocated to Photoshop and how many images are in the particular folder you’re looking at. If you stuff all your images in a single folder and there are a lot of them, it’ll be slow for example. Mind you, the browser is just a bolt on and not really something that should be used for anything more than casual browsing. it’s useful, but not that useful.

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
J
jwm2
Dec 15, 2003
Thank you Hecate,
I don’t actually have the file open in compupic. Compupic acts just like any other window that would
display the list of files within a folder as thumbnails. In this case all it would have to do is update the
thumbnail upon saving in CS. As I said it worked fine in the earlier versions of photoshop. It was only when I loaded CS that it started faulting. There is a protection function that is somehow activating to not allow the save.
My second problem was not the speed of loading in the CS browser, but working on a file while the browser is open or reduced. When I close the browser all together, the normal speed returns. I find
this quite an inconvienience since it takes an extra step every time I get another file to open the browser window.
What I am doing now, also not to my liking, browsing for the files in compupic, double clicking the file which I have defaulted to open in photoshop. It opens in photoshop, but I know that there will be a conflict so I bring compupic up front and select any other folder (just to get the open file from being in view) and then go back to photoshop to edit and save file. I have called both Adobe as well as compupic tech. Neither has an answer. I just wanted to see if anyone else has had the problem or solutions. I have been doing this since 2.5 and have a very well equiped system so I know that I’m not missing just an elementary oversite such as allocated memory.
John
H
Hecate
Dec 16, 2003
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 00:08:17 -0500, "jwm2" wrote:

Thank you Hecate,
I don’t actually have the file open in compupic. Compupic acts just like any other window that would
display the list of files within a folder as thumbnails. In this case all it would have to do is update the
thumbnail upon saving in CS. As I said it worked fine in the earlier versions of photoshop. It was only when I loaded CS that it started faulting. There is a protection function that is somehow activating to not allow the save.

It’s likely locking the folder when it’s open in the browser.

My second problem was not the speed of loading in the CS browser, but working on a file while the browser is open or reduced. When I close the browser all together, the normal speed returns. I find
this quite an inconvienience since it takes an extra step every time I get another file to open the browser window.

That’s because the browser is thumbnailing and holding all the thumbnails in memory. Consequently, no matter what memory you have allocated to PS, a fair chunk of it is being allocated to the browser.

What I am doing now, also not to my liking, browsing for the files in compupic, double clicking the file which I have defaulted to open in photoshop. It opens in photoshop, but I know that there will be a conflict so I bring compupic up front and select any other folder (just to get the open file from being in view) and then go back to photoshop to edit and save file. I have called both Adobe as well as compupic tech. Neither has an answer. I just wanted to see if anyone else has had the problem or solutions. I have been doing this since 2.5 and have a very well equiped system so I know that I’m not missing just an elementary oversite such as allocated memory.

ISTM that both applications want exclusive use of any folder they have open. That’s your conflict and neither Adobe nor Compupic will admit that it’s their fault. It’s one of those problems which will only get fixed if they decide they want to. It’s all about permissive and non-permissive locking, much like in a database where records are locked if someone is working them if the nonm-permissive option has been set.

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections