APPLYING VIDEO AS ANIMATION OR FILMSTRIP TO OPTIMIZE MEMORY???!!!

C
Posted By
couragefilms
Oct 11, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
i’m trying to apply two effects within photoshop, CUTOUT and INK OUTLINE. now, i want to apply it to a 5-9 min short film. my problem is that i’m only running a p4 with 256mb of ram. someone had said in another thread that you can batch capture into photoshop and add the effects that way, as i’ve been trying to do it as a filmstrip and it keeps popping up with a no memory sign. is there a better way of doing this or doing it through image ready? i would like to apply these two effects as quickly as possible as i will only have two weeks to complete this in part time. any very detailed ideas please????

Les Novak

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 11, 2003
Save the animation as numbered frame image files, then run the Photoshop batch command on the directory of numbered frames, and reimport the frames back into your editor (I’m guessing Premiere).

And yes, 256 Meg is probably too little memory for that filmstrip.
C
couragefilms
Oct 11, 2003
ok, i know you must hate hearing this by now, but i’m relatively new and i’m trying to win a scholarship to a film school. would you have a description for that from the moment i open image ready??? also, when opening the animation, do i have to apply that effect on every frame or is there a way that i can somehow apply it once to the first frame and it will succeed through everyone after that???
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 12, 2003
Are you creating the animation in ImageReady?

If you have numbered frames — you just create an action in Photoshop, and use the batch command to apply it to each file.

But in ImageReady I doubt you have individual frames.

If you use the "flatten frames into layers" command in ImageReady, you will get the final frames – and then you can apply the filters to each one in ImageReady.

But I don’t see any easy way to apply the filters to all the resulting layers.
C
couragefilms
Oct 12, 2003
ok, well if you would advise me to go through photoshop, than i should do it as your first line outlines???
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 12, 2003
You’ve still got a problem to solve: ImageReady can’t save the layers (or frames) as numbered files. And I don’t have a good solution other than running the filters manually (using an action and the "goto next frame" command).
D
DeerRaven
Oct 12, 2003
Courage,

For later, this’d be alot easier with a software program like Flash. All your filmmaking expertise would be incredibly and absolutely OPTIMIZED in Flash. AND, a low-priced, fully-functional version for students is available. That plus a Wacom tablet and pen and you’d be set free! Plus it runs pretty well on 256 meg of RAM. I know on accounta I’ve done it. 🙂

Martha
PH
Photo_Help
Oct 12, 2003
Les,

As a student I would suggest that you purchase the educational version of the Adobe Video Collection. The investment would be well worth it to win your scholarship. It would also pay to learn the correct way to edit video so you will have an advantage going in instead of a huge disadvantage. also keep in mind that if you use it enough you may also be able to test out of the introductory classes which could save you a great deal of time and money.

Journeyed.com – Adobe Video Collection Standard ($449.98) < http://www.journeyed.com/cgi-bin/sgin0101.exe?T1=37471033&am p;TRAN85=Y&UREQB=1&UREQA=2&UREQC=3&UREQD=4&a mp;UID=2003101215203491&GEN0=&GEN1=&GEN2=&GE N3=&GEN4=&GEN5=&GEN6=&GEN7=&GEN8=&GE N9=index2.html>
PH
Photo_Help
Oct 12, 2003
Martha,

Flash is not for video editing. It isn’t even a good animation program. It does a very good job optimizing interactive vector animations for web sites. With it’s poor interface and drawing tools Macromedia is lucky they own the file format. Now that they have licensed SWF files to other applications it won’t be long before their own software is obsolete. Lucky for them they still make money licensing the file format even if they don’t sell their own software.
SM
Stuart_McCoy
Oct 13, 2003
Les,

It would help a bit more if we knew what video editing software you were using. Most NLEs will allow you to render your video to a series of numbered stills (TIFF or TGA work just fine here – don’t use JPEG) that you can then batch in Photoshop. You would then take your processed TIFFs and import them into your NLE or post-production software (After Effects) as a image sequence. This is a relatively simple process though you will not have as much control over the batch process as you might like. The only way you would have tight control over the cutout and ink outline settings would be if you inspected each frame one at a time and applies settings accordingly. Given the length of your film, this would be a very lengthy ordeal but it could be done in two weeks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections