CouldBeMike
Aug 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
in article cLvWc.395$, Luis ORTEGA at
wrote on 08/23/2004 5:14 PM:

Can anyone please advise me on how to get the psd files to show as image thumbnails again?

Google it.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

LO
Luis ORTEGA
Aug 24, 2004
Before upgrading to Photoshop CS, I could view image thumbnails of my jpg and psd files from Windows Explorer, but now all of the psd files only display a little CS feather logo instead of image thumbnails in Windows Explorer. The jpg files still show as image thumbnails. I’m using Windows XP pro.

Can anyone please advise me on how to get the psd files to show as image thumbnails again?

Thanks for any advice.
Thumbnails missing with Photoshop CS
B
bagal
Aug 24, 2004
In the words os a turn of the century philosopher "WHHOOOOPPPEEEEE!"

(Homer Simpson lat 20th – early 21st century)

Boy Luis – you don’t know how glad you make me feel – I fell for the same observation

PSCS & Windows Explorer don’t seem to get on very well in this respect

Are there any solutions?

U betcha!

Try googling on XnView then on Picasa

both are free, both are good, both are free and good

My preference is for Picasa – let the software do all the directory hunting – ahem – my creative energies and time are absorbed elsewhere

I have both installed and running

Artio

ps – "free" in this case is limited to non-commercial home use or so I understand

A

"Luis ORTEGA" wrote in message
Before upgrading to Photoshop CS, I could view image thumbnails of my jpg and psd files from Windows Explorer, but now all of the psd files only display a little CS feather logo instead of image thumbnails in Windows Explorer. The jpg files still show as image thumbnails. I’m using Windows
XP
pro.

Thanks for any advice.

J
jjs
Aug 24, 2004
Before upgrading to Photoshop CS, I could view image thumbnails of my jpg and psd files from Windows Explorer, but now all of the psd files only display a little CS feather logo instead of image thumbnails in Windows Explorer. The jpg files still show as image thumbnails. I’m using Windows
XP
pro.

XP isn’t friendly to Adobe thumbnails. Maybe Micro$oft will get hip. Eventually.
H
Hecate
Aug 24, 2004
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:04:17 -0500, "jjs"
wrote:

XP
pro.

XP isn’t friendly to Adobe thumbnails. Maybe Micro$oft will get hip. Eventually.
It’s not MS. Adobe removed the psicons.dll because it doesn’t work properly.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
J
jjs
Aug 24, 2004
"Hecate" wrote in message

ooooh, thank you for that nit of wizdom. And why does it not work? Could it be MICRO$OFT is broken? Eh? Does intalling it regardless make thumbnails work with no unintended side effects? EH? Now ask yourself – Adobe has a huge braintrust of great programmers. Adobe has already released updates. Now why the hell would they not post this fix if it weren’t a problem with Micro$oft? Why don’t _you_ friggin fix it, genius?
R
Rick
Aug 24, 2004
"CouldBeMike" wrote in message
in article cLvWc.395$, Luis ORTEGA at
wrote on 08/23/2004 5:14 PM:

Google it.
Good answer…
B
bogus
Aug 24, 2004
Try this. In Preferences/File Handling there is a drop down box for "Maximize PSD file compatibility". Set that to Always or Ask. This adds a compostite to allow thumbnail views.

Apparently, Adobe is changing things and this doing this will make the file incompatible with newer software?

dp

jjs wrote:

ooooh, thank you for that nit of wizdom. And why does it not work? Could it be MICRO$OFT is broken? Eh? Does intalling it regardless make thumbnails work with no unintended side effects? EH? Now ask yourself – Adobe has a huge braintrust of great programmers. Adobe has already released updates. Now why the hell would they not post this fix if it weren’t a problem with Micro$oft? Why don’t _you_ friggin fix it, genius?

LO
Lee Oswald Ving
Aug 24, 2004
"jjs" wrote in
news::

ooooh, thank you for that nit of wizdom.

Being sarcastic to someone who has told you the truth is abysmally stupid.

And why does it not work?

Have no idea, since there is a plethora of thumbnailers that do just fine.

Could it be MICRO$OFT is broken?

That could be an excuse from Adobe, sure.

Too bad Cerious doesn’t have that problem. Nor ACD Systems. Nor even Adobe in their own browser. I’m willing to bet that management simply told them to abandon something they felt was no longer worth fiddling with.

And too bad you didn’t think before running your mouth, "genius."

<snip>
J
jjs
Aug 24, 2004
"Lee Oswald Ving" wrote in message

Too bad Cerious doesn’t have that problem. Nor ACD Systems. Nor even Adobe in their own browser. I’m willing to bet that management simply told them to abandon something they felt was no longer worth fiddling with.

Are you saying that Cerious and ACD’s WindoZe directory view option ‘Thumbnails’ shows PSD thumbnails as a native option? Or are they mimicing WindoZe view? It’s a different thing.
LO
Lee Oswald Ving
Aug 24, 2004
"jjs" wrote in

XP
pro.

PSICONS has never been friendly to any version of Windows.

Maybe Adobe…and you…will get hip. Eventually.
LO
Lee Oswald Ving
Aug 24, 2004
"jjs" wrote in

Are you saying that Cerious and ACD’s WindoZe directory view option ‘Thumbnails’ shows PSD thumbnails as a native option?

Cerious doesn’t care to mix your file manager and graphics manager. ACDSee does one better by adding RAW support.

Or are they
mimicing WindoZe view?

It’s a different thing.

Why is that?

Because it gives you a chance to be a jackass on usenet?
W
winhag
Aug 24, 2004
I have called Adobe on this issue and they say that it was their decision not to show thumbnails because of problems. This is a pain and seems pretty strange because

a. Previous versions seem to show thumbnails without a problem
b. JPGs, TIFFs, etc. show as thumbnails with no problems.

Who knows.

W

"jjs" …

J
jjs
Aug 24, 2004
"jjs" wrote in

Or are they
mimicing WindoZe view?

It’s a different thing.
Why is that?

You are right. I was pretty much a butt-head. Note to self: Don’t even go to Usenet after working 48 hours straight. No excuse, really.

Now let’s get to the jist of the matter again. You assert that Adobe is negligent by not incorporating a work-around to WidowZes’ inability to show PSD file in native directory Thumbnail view. Correct?

I must admit that I care a whit about Adobe’s proprietary directory view, and I would dearly like to use the native WindoZe directory view – in fact, it is probably the singular feature of WindoZe that kept me on the Wintel platform.
B
bagal
Aug 24, 2004
I’ve got 2 hips but I still can’t see my PSDs as thumbnails

Maybe it is time for the whole windows explorer thing to be reviewed?

Why a file manager starts with zero assumptions when it visits a directory for the umpteenth time seems sorta uncool

Go Go Picasa?

or even Gah Gah Picasa?

Artio

"jjs" wrote in

XP
pro.

PSICONS has never been friendly to any version of Windows.
Maybe Adobe…and you…will get hip. Eventually.
ME
Mike Engles
Aug 24, 2004
Luis ORTEGA wrote:
Before upgrading to Photoshop CS, I could view image thumbnails of my jpg and psd files from Windows Explorer, but now all of the psd files only display a little CS feather logo instead of image thumbnails in Windows Explorer. The jpg files still show as image thumbnails. I’m using Windows XP pro.

Thanks for any advice.

Hello

Reinstall version 7 and leave it on the system.

Mike Engles
LO
Lee Oswald Ving
Aug 24, 2004
"jjs" wrote in

"jjs" wrote in

Or are they
mimicing WindoZe view?

It’s a different thing.
Why is that?

You are right. I was pretty much a butt-head. Note to self: Don’t even go to Usenet after working 48 hours straight. No excuse, really.

Yeah, been there before. I’m just about there now, and will be soon.

Now let’s get to the jist of the matter again. You assert that Adobe is negligent by not incorporating a work-around to WidowZes’ inability to show PSD file in native directory Thumbnail view. Correct?

Nope. *You* asserted that this was M$’s problem, or, rather, it’s a bug M $ hasn’t fixed. I pointed out that other companies have been able to work through any problems, and I see no reason to take Adobe’s claim at face value. I do find it more likely that they figured it wasn’t worth any more coder time and simply gave up.

Personally, I do not believe it is Adobe’s job to furnish this, nor, truthfully, do I care that they have given up. I really do not like the performance hit under my file manager and vastly prefer using an image browser, which is considerably more flexible anyways.

I must admit that I care a whit about Adobe’s proprietary directory view, and I would dearly like to use the native WindoZe directory view – in fact, it is probably the singular feature of WindoZe that kept me on the Wintel platform.

Right, well, your preferences and your workflow are certainly your own. However, I do not find the tiny thumbnails very useful, and I definately need a good slideshow, down and dirty bulk conversion, and high-end Camera RAW tools. In fact, no one solution yet gives me all of this (a combination of Adobe’s browser and Breezebrowser come close), and I’m thinking that M$ (or any other OS writer) is ever going to do so.

YMMV.
H
Hecate
Aug 25, 2004
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:00:26 -0500, "jjs"
wrote:

Read what Chris Cox has to say about it. As for Adobe programmers being so damn good, have you looked at the it-takes an-hour, but it’ll eventually show you an image file browser in CS? And that’s just one of the useless things in PS. And don’t get me started on the crap they called Adobe Type Manager, or the absolute dog they call Image Ready, or the fatally-flawed GoLive.

MS isn’t always in the wrong just because they’re MS, however much you want to think it.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
H
Hecate
Aug 25, 2004
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 12:45:08 GMT, Lee Oswald Ving
wrote:

Precisely.

And too bad you didn’t think before running your mouth, "genius."
Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
J
jjs
Aug 25, 2004
wrote:
[…]
Read what Chris Cox has to say about it. As for Adobe programmers being so damn good, have you looked at the it-takes an-hour, but it’ll eventually show you an image file browser in CS? And that’s just one of the useless things in PS. And don’t get me started on the crap they called Adobe Type Manager, or the absolute dog they call Image Ready, or the fatally-flawed GoLive.

Okay, okay – I yield to your programming expertise.

I don’t like the Adobe file browser, either largely because it is too slow.
E
Eatme
Aug 25, 2004
I like it. A gig of ram doesn’t let it work slow at all! A lot better than opening another program like acdsee, which is fine but a real unstable program.

"jjs" wrote in message
wrote:
[…]

I don’t like the Adobe file browser, either largely because it is too
slow.
H
Hecate
Aug 26, 2004
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:26:50 -0500, "jjs" wrote:

wrote:
[…]

I don’t like the Adobe file browser, either largely because it is too slow.
LOL! My programming expertise was in databases and producing GUI’s for said databases. Which is why I made the comments about the design – I’ve had to program databases to show images/image thumbnails and I’ve never found it a problem if you make the effort. 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
H
Hecate
Aug 26, 2004
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:02:19 -0400, "The Wild, Wild West" wrote:

I like it. A gig of ram doesn’t let it work slow at all! A lot better than opening another program like acdsee, which is fine but a real unstable program.
I use a Gb as well, and it’s still far too slow compared to ThumbsPlus which is an excellent image database.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
E
Eatme
Aug 26, 2004

I like it. A gig of ram doesn’t let it work slow at all! A lot better than opening another program like acdsee, which is fine but
a
real unstable program.
I use a Gb as well, and it’s still far too slow compared to ThumbsPlus which is an excellent image database.
Gonna check that out, TY
N
noone
Aug 26, 2004
In article ,
says…

Hecate – The Real One

Wow, I thought I was the only person using ThumbsPlus. It have proved invaluable and I would not be without it. Only possible complaint that I have, based on the latest incarnation, is that the database file REALLY grows, even without a lot of keywords, and fields filled in. I’m just glad that it, and PS can co-exist on XP, so long as one is minimized. It’s back-n-forth, back-n- forth. The Browser is getting better, but Adobe needs to spend a few days at Cerious Software’s offices – just hope they don’t buy it and kill it, like some of the older font management programs.

Hunt
J
jjs
Aug 26, 2004
LOL! My programming expertise was in databases and producing GUI’s for said databases. Which is why I made the comments about the design – I’ve had to program databases to show images/image thumbnails and I’ve never found it a problem if you make the effort. 🙂

So Adobe simply isn’t creating thumbnails that WindoZe understands, right? A shame.
B
bagal
Aug 26, 2004
Yeh – it seems sorta uncool to quite a high degree

But hey! all this shows is that there is a need for functionality

Reglar readers will know (see Hear the Baby Cry and other postings) that we have been thru this before

FWIW and IMHO MS & Adobe have had their relative focus taken of product and on to security

The quicker both get focus back on to giving us the best darn stuff around the happier will I be

If this browser (even Win Explorer needs a revamp – look at Picasa ah… ) thing gets sorted and other stuff it will (I hope) return a focus on functionality and blowing socks of..

Arty

"jjs" wrote in message

So Adobe simply isn’t creating thumbnails that WindoZe understands, right?
A
shame.

H
Hecate
Aug 27, 2004
On 26 Aug 2004 03:46:19 GMT, (Hunt) wrote:

In article ,
says…

Hecate – The Real One

Wow, I thought I was the only person using ThumbsPlus.

You and a couple o’ hundred thousand others 😉 There’s a lively TP community on their own nwesservers at news.cerious.com

It have proved
invaluable and I would not be without it. Only possible complaint that I have, based on the latest incarnation, is that the database file REALLY grows, even without a lot of keywords, and fields filled in.

Even when deleting orphaned images and so forth and compacting the database? 🙂

I’m just glad that it, and PS
can co-exist on XP, so long as one is minimized. It’s back-n-forth, back-n- forth. The Browser is getting better, but Adobe needs to spend a few days at Cerious Software’s offices – just hope they don’t buy it and kill it, like some of the older font management programs.
Absolutely. They respond really quickly to people’s
suggestions/complaints etc (on their newsserver). I’ve never known a company that is as good at support. Incidentally, I’m using TP 7 beta 10 at the moment and it’s great (it’s about the only piece of software I beta test <g>).

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
H
Hecate
Aug 27, 2004
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 08:51:49 -0500, "jjs" wrote:

So Adobe simply isn’t creating thumbnails that WindoZe understands, right? A shame.
They can’t be bothered to get it right. 😉

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
N
noone
Aug 27, 2004
In article ,
says…
[SNIP]
You and a couple o’ hundred thousand others 😉 There’s a lively TP community on their own nwesservers at news.cerious.com

It have proved
invaluable and I would not be without it. Only possible complaint that I
have,
based on the latest incarnation, is that the database file REALLY grows,
even
without a lot of keywords, and fields filled in.

Even when deleting orphaned images and so forth and compacting the database? 🙂

I’m just glad that it, and PS
can co-exist on XP, so long as one is minimized. It’s back-n-forth, back-n- forth. The Browser is getting better, but Adobe needs to spend a few days at Cerious Software’s offices – just hope they don’t buy it and kill it, like some of the older font management programs.
Absolutely. They respond really quickly to people’s
suggestions/complaints etc (on their newsserver). I’ve never known a company that is as good at support. Incidentally, I’m using TP 7 beta 10 at the moment and it’s great (it’s about the only piece of software I beta test <g>).

Hecate – The Real One

You know, I’ve been a loyal user since v3, and have never used the Cerious forums. Thanks for the mention.

The last time that I did a "compact," (maybe v4) the program and system crashed, and the database was trashed. Since that bad experience, I have not used it – I’ve been afraid, very afraid. Now that I’m on v6, and have a dbase that isn’t really important, I’ll give it another try.

Thanks,
Hunt
H
Hecate
Aug 27, 2004
On 27 Aug 2004 15:06:58 GMT, (Hunt) wrote:

You know, I’ve been a loyal user since v3, and have never used the Cerious forums. Thanks for the mention.

The last time that I did a "compact," (maybe v4) the program and system crashed, and the database was trashed. Since that bad experience, I have not used it – I’ve been afraid, very afraid. Now that I’m on v6, and have a dbase that isn’t really important, I’ll give it another try.
Can I say, backups? 😉

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
N
noone
Aug 27, 2004
In article ,
says…
On 27 Aug 2004 15:06:58 GMT, (Hunt) wrote:

The last time that I did a "compact," (maybe v4) the program and system crashed, and the database was trashed. Since that bad experience, I have not used it – I’ve been afraid, very afraid. Now that I’m on v6, and have a
dbase
that isn’t really important, I’ll give it another try.
Can I say, backups? 😉

Hecate – The Real One

Yes you may. In this case it wasn’t THAT big a deal, as only the dbase was lost. Most of the images didn’t have much data attached to them, and a Scandisk, re-start, and then just hangin’ out, while Thumbs did its thing. Until today, I had not "tempted fate," but, after YOUR recommendations, did a compact and orphan elimination – whew! Everything went as I had expected all those years ago. Too bad that I lived in abject fear for so long. You have set me free ;-}

Thanks for the mention, as I had actually forgotten about it, amidst the cobwebs of my mind.

Glad someone else appreciates it,
Hunt
H
Hecate
Aug 29, 2004
On 27 Aug 2004 23:12:49 GMT, (Hunt) wrote:

Can I say, backups? 😉

Hecate – The Real One

Yes you may. In this case it wasn’t THAT big a deal, as only the dbase was lost. Most of the images didn’t have much data attached to them, and a Scandisk, re-start, and then just hangin’ out, while Thumbs did its thing. Until today, I had not "tempted fate," but, after YOUR recommendations, did a compact and orphan elimination – whew! Everything went as I had expected all those years ago. Too bad that I lived in abject fear for so long. You have set me free ;-}

LOL! Glad it worked for you 😉

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections