streaking line effect (for lack of better name)

MH
Posted By
Matt Hopkins
Aug 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
There is one particular effect that I wish to learn how to achieve and I haven’t been able to find a tutorial anywhere for it. I also have no idea what to call the effect, which is probably a big factor in not being able to find anything on it.

An example of the effect can be found here –
http://www.aoineko.com/indexv1.html. The navigation is at the bottom left. If you click on the link "*the band" you can see the effect on the bottom image.

If you could share any ideas on how I can achieve this effect I would be most grateful.

Thanks so much!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

J
jenelisepasceci
Aug 9, 2004
"Matt Hopkins" wrote:

There is one particular effect that I wish to learn how to achieve and I haven’t been able to find a tutorial anywhere for it. I also have no idea what to call the effect, which is probably a big factor in not being able to find anything on it.

http://www.aoineko.com/indexv1.html. The navigation is at the bottom left. If you click on the link "*the band" you can see the effect on the bottom image.

If you could share any ideas on how I can achieve this effect I would be most grateful.

1. move a guide line to the row in the image where you want the effect to start
2. activate the single row marquee tool and select the row which is marked by the guide line
3. edit – define pattern
4. activate the rectangular marquee tool
5. create and activate a new layer
6. select the area from the guide to the bottom/top of the image
7. select the paint bucket in pattern fill mode and select the newly
generated pattern
8. pattern fill
9. merge down

….done

Peter
T
tacitr
Aug 9, 2004
7. select the paint bucket in pattern fill mode and select the newly
generated pattern

As an aside, using the Paint Bucket tool might not give the results you expect if you make a selection that is not empty.

In Photoshop, the Paint Bucket tool is not the Fill tool. The Paint Bucket is a combination of the Fill tool and the Magic Wand, in the sense that when you click, it looks at the color of the pixel you have clicked on, then spreads out in all directions, filling as it goes, until it hits a pixel of a different color or hits the selection. It does exatly what the Magic Wand followed by the Fill command does.

It works in these instructions because when you make a new layer and then make a selection, the selected area is empty. However, if the selected area wasn’t empty, it wouldn’t work.

In Photoshop, you don’t use the Paint Bucket to fill. If you want to fill with the foreground color, you don’t use a tool at all, you just hold down Option (PC: Alt) on the keyboard and press Delete. If you want to fill with a pattern, or you want to fill in a mode other than Normal, you just hold down the Shift key on the keyboard and press Delete.

Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
N
noone
Aug 9, 2004
In article <XhIRc.231993$ says…

Thanks so much!

Nice music, but too many little meaningless things happening on the pages. Anyway, I clicked "the band," and watched the lower left image, but the page loaded so quickly that I never caught the effect that you are asking about. It changed in a blink, and I never was able to catch anything – sorry. Sometimes a high-speed connection just gets in the way of some interesting art.

Can you describe the effect verbally? I’d love to see it, even if I can’t help on its construction.

Hunt
N
NewBee
Aug 11, 2004
select the single row marquee tool. select the area you want the pattern to start ( it will be one row/pixel wide). select layer/new via copy. You will have a new layer with one row of pixels on it. select edit/free transform. pull the bottom of the selection down and viola’, you have a streaked line effect in less than a minute.

Don

"Hunt" wrote in message
In article <XhIRc.231993$
says…
There is one particular effect that I wish to learn how to achieve and I haven’t been able to find a tutorial anywhere for it. I also have no idea what to call the effect, which is probably a big factor in not being able
to
find anything on it.

http://www.aoineko.com/indexv1.html. The navigation is at the bottom
left.
If you click on the link "*the band" you can see the effect on the bottom image.

Thanks so much!

Nice music, but too many little meaningless things happening on the pages. Anyway, I clicked "the band," and watched the lower left image, but the
page
loaded so quickly that I never caught the effect that you are asking
about. It
changed in a blink, and I never was able to catch anything – sorry.
Sometimes
a high-speed connection just gets in the way of some interesting art.
Can you describe the effect verbally? I’d love to see it, even if I can’t
help
on its construction.

Hunt
ER
ez raver
Aug 16, 2004
BigDaddy wrote:
select the single row marquee tool. select the area you want the pattern to start ( it will be one row/pixel wide). select layer/new via copy. You will have a new layer with one row of pixels on it. select edit/free transform. pull the bottom of the selection down and viola’, you have a streaked line effect in less than a minute.
Don

viola 🙂 -> voila monsieur

the technique is called pixel stretch(ing)
J
JJS
Aug 16, 2004
If the "streak effect" is for a web page, then an alternative to creating a large 640×480 ‘streak’ image is to create a 640×1 (or 640×2) image and repeat the image as one layer. Images are only loaded once, so repeating the image to fill the screen is fast and cheap. The overlaid image should be a transparent GIF.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections