4 ?’s : FAQ location, PS7 to PDF, and 600 dpi 11×17 PS file for print ???

R
Posted By
renegade
Oct 8, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
New here so first off, hello all and thanks for any help that i can receive here… and hope to be able to help others as well…

Using PC, PhotoShop7.0.1, PIII 800 350 MB ram and three hard drives for plenty of scratch disk space…

Questions:

1. Where is the FAQ for this area?

2. I have a Photoshop file that is huge… in fact…. 652MB’s consisting of 40 someodd layers, most are layers with type and some of those type layers have effects and blends… If I flatten the file, its only 83MB but then i loose the fonts in that i rasterize them and do not want to do that.

I did merge all the other layers and dropped the file down to 360MB’s.

The file is 11×17 600 dpi and I went to each layer with fonts and set them to NONE instead of crisp, sharp, or smooth for the best print and have this as CMYK.

When converting over to Acrobat, do I need to go back to the font layers and set them to Crisp or Smooth or Sharp and setting to NONE looks bad? Is it acceptable and does it work to take such a large file and convert to PDF and what kind of print results can i get from a place like Kinko’s?

3. With that same file as my example… do most people setup their PSD’s to a fairly large dpi like 600 even when working with 11×17 page sizes as these files do get rather large… like mine being 652 MB before collapsing layers. These are being printed on laser jet machines like you find at Kinkos and so far they print up my cd jackets and all well, but this file was too big for them and did not print so now i need to find a good local printer and wonder if there was another way, like my previous question and setting up a PDF file.

( this makes me curious what most people do for poster sizes like 20"x30" and the like?)

4. Mini ?’s if anyone made it this far…

a. I have Illustrator 10 and wonder if moving files like the example above as an import from PS to Illustator would serve any useful purpose as an EPS file for printers to work with, and would the font layers loose all the unique blending or effects?

b. Can you take a PSD and move it into Quark easily or do you need to learn how to use Quark (have it and know nothing about it)

c. How do you take a photo and make it look like it was illustrated in Illustrator, in other words, a better effect than what i can get with Eye Candy or the standard brush effects or artistic effects. Would like somethingthat makes the photo look like a clean illustration.

Well, thanks for any and all help and if you would like, you can also email any answers to :

TIA… and appreciate… and if i need to explain better sure will….

r

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections