MH
Posted By
M_Holden
Oct 8, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The time is coming for a new machine. It will be per loaded with Windows XP Pro. Does any one have input on how Photoshop 4.x works on this OS (if at all)? PS 4 suits my need just fine so I really don’t need/want or can afford to upgrade to newer version PS just yet. If I can continue using it ton XP well that would be dandy but I would love to hear any comments on this.
Thanks
PS oh the same holds true for Illustrator 8 if anyone is will to address that question too.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JR
Jonathan_Ramsdell
Oct 8, 2003
Just tried it out on my machine. Photoshop 4.01 seems to be running fine under Windows XP Pro. Not a problem.
Jon
RL
Robert_Levine
Oct 8, 2003
You can try it but I wouldn’t count on anything. PS 4 was released while Windows 3.1 was still a mainstream operating system.

Best to start saving your pennies for upgrades.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 8, 2003
i’ve heard from others here that 4 will run as long as you have the 4.01 patch.
PH
Photo_Help
Oct 8, 2003
M_Holden,

Keep in mind that there are now low cost image editing packages that will do more than Photoshop 4. Depending on the type of work you do you may want to upgrade to Photoshop 7 now if you can find stores that will upgrade you to CS for free when it comes out. The reason I say this is because CS requires activation and it would seem that you use software for an extended amount of time. By purchasing 7.o you are guaranteed to have a version that doesn’t require activation with the added bonus of an upgrade to CS. This would allow you to learn the newer menus, give you image ready and save for web features, Layer styles (saves a lot of time , and space, when it comes to file sizes).

I can do thing is PS 7 in 2 or 3 minutes that took 20 or 30 minutes in PS 4. If you use Photoshop on a daily basis you really should upgrade.
H
Ho
Oct 9, 2003
Keep in mind that there are now low cost image editing packages that will do more than Photoshop 4.

Can you name one, and give an example of "more"?
PH
Photo_Help
Oct 9, 2003
Ho,

It would depend greatly on how they use the package. I used more loosely because most people don’t use the many of the advanced lab featured like color profiles etc.

Paint Shop Pro comes to mind as something that does "more than 4.0". I would still upgrade to Photoshop 7 or CS if I were M_Holden. I was just pointing out that Photoshop 4.0 is very limited by todays standards. I couldn’t imagine how much of my day would be wasted if I had to do many things the old way. Think back to something as simple as adding rounded corners in PS4 or Drop shadows. Now you just make a clipping path with the rounded rectangle tool or use a layer style.

Kids today have it so easy! 🙂
EB
eddie_booth
Jan 30, 2004
I have Photoshop 4.0.1 on XP with 2 monitors (matrox550 card, 1g ram, 2.6 p4)

My question is I can move the photoshop window and working picture onto screen 2 but none of the pallets. (Painter 5.5 has similar prob) The only advice I can get is that if its a MS DOS prog then it cannot utilise the two screens.

Because PS4 is a Win 95 program and the fact half of it does display over two screens I’m trying to confirm that this is a problem only corrected by an upgrade to XP compatable software?

please tell me there is a patch or something!
Cheers, Ed.
JS
John_Slate
Jan 30, 2004
Hey Eddie:

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections