Posted By
Larry
Aug 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I always want to see a detailed list (with the sizes) when I open the file window in Photoshop.
I always have to manually choose Detailed List.

Is it possible to set this permanently??

thanks,
Larry

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

E
edjh
Aug 7, 2004
Larry wrote:
Hi,

I always want to see a detailed list (with the sizes) when I open the file window in Photoshop.

thanks,
Larry

OS, version, etc?

It should open up with your last used settings. If it doesn’t maybe you should trash Preferences.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
L
Larry
Aug 7, 2004
Hi edjhann,
thanks for answering,

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 14:04:37 GMT, edjh
wrote:

Larry wrote:
Hi,

thanks,
Larry

OS, version, etc?
Sorry:
PhotoShop v7, both Win2k Pro and XP Home
It should open up with your last used settings. If it doesn’t maybe you should trash Preferences.
Nope, it always open in ‘List’-mode.
Eeh…. trash Peferences? Nothing in my Preferences refers to this Open-mode-situation..???
Should there be any relation between Preferences and this behaviour?
How do you trash the Preferences?

sorry , just more questions πŸ™‚
Larry
E
edjh
Aug 7, 2004
Larry wrote:
Hi edjhann,
thanks for answering,

wrote:

Larry wrote:

Hi,

thanks,
Larry

OS, version, etc?

Sorry:

Eeh…. trash Peferences? Nothing in my Preferences refers to this Open-mode-situation..???

Larry

This is from the Photoshop Help files:

To restore all preferences to their default settings:

Do one of the following:
* Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or
Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop or ImageReady. You will be prompted to delete the current settings. * In Mac OS, open the Preferences folder in the System Folder (Mac OS 9.x) or Library folder (Mac OS X), and drag the Adobe Photoshop
7.0 Settings folder to the Trash.

New Preferences files will be created the next time you start Photoshop or ImageReady.

Comics art for sale:
R
Rick
Aug 7, 2004
Larry, the prefs file has nothing to do with your question. As far as I’m aware there is no way to have PS open up a list in detail mode automatically, at least under Windows.

Rick

"Larry" wrote in message
Hi edjhann,
thanks for answering,

wrote:

Larry wrote:
Hi,

thanks,
Larry

OS, version, etc?
Sorry:

Larry

E
edjh
Aug 8, 2004
Rick wrote:
Larry, the prefs file has nothing to do with your question. As far as I’m aware there is no way to have PS open up a list in detail mode automatically, at least under Windows.

Rick

It most definitely does for me in Windows XP. Select Detail and quit and it reopens in Detail. Even survives a reboot. Anyone else?

Comics art for sale:
L
Larry
Aug 8, 2004
On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 02:21:35 GMT, edjh
wrote:

Rick wrote:

Rick

It most definitely does for me in Windows XP. Select Detail and quit and it reopens in Detail. Even survives a reboot. Anyone else?

I have the same info about trashing the Prefs-file in my Help.

But – I have no Prefs-file anywhere and pressing
Alt-Ctrl-Shift after start takes no effect.
Photoshop v 7.0.
Something must be wrong with my Photoshop…

So, I don’t seem to be able to set Details.
I guess I will have to live with thatΒ….? πŸ™‚

Larry
L
Larry
Aug 8, 2004
Correction:
I have a prefs-file!
In ‘C:\DocumentsAndSettings\Administrator\Application
Data\Adobe\Photoshop\7.0\Adobe PS 7.0 Settings\Adobe
Photoshop 7.0 Prefs.psp’.

But still no possibility to trash it, or to affect the Show mode setting in Open window..

Larry
E
edjh
Aug 8, 2004
Larry wrote:

Correction:
I have a prefs-file!

But still no possibility to trash it, or to affect the Show mode setting in Open window..

Larry
Just delete that file (with Photoshop closed) or drag it to the Desktop. Next time you start up Photoshop it will be recreated with the default settings.

I don’t know if that will solve your problem, but usually when Photoshop starts doing things wrong trashing prefs is a fix.

If you want you can replace the new prefs file with the old one by dragging it back to its folder.

I’d still like to hear what others experience with this is.

Comics art for sale:
R
Rick
Aug 8, 2004
"edjh" wrote in message
Larry wrote:

Correction:
I have a prefs-file!

Larry
Just delete that file (with Photoshop closed) or drag it to the Desktop. Next time you start up Photoshop it will be recreated with the default settings.

I don’t know if that will solve your problem, but usually when Photoshop starts doing things wrong trashing prefs is a fix.

If you want you can replace the new prefs file with the old one by dragging it back to its folder.

I just tried it under Win2000. Detail view has to be set manually each time one does a File/Open. The setting is not retained.

Rick
L
Larry
Aug 8, 2004
On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 11:53:47 GMT, edjh
wrote:

Trashing prefs by deleting file is OK, but still the Open window always open in List mode for me.

YOu must have scared your computer seriously to make it do what you want… πŸ™‚

Any connection I can think of is that it could be related to what you have set in the opening mode for Explorer. But
there I always have Detailed List, so…no..

/Larry
DT
deco_time
Aug 9, 2004
In news:edjh typed:
Larry wrote:

PS6 on XP pro SP1a, default to list no matter what I do.

Odysea video production
Come dive with us!
www.odysea.ca
M
mweisman
Aug 10, 2004
I am pretty sure that this is a "Windows" concern, and not a PS concern.

In Win XP there is a resource that can be exhausted when you set "remember my folder settings." That’s only good for 400 folders. There’s a registry tweak somewhere to increase it.

Do a search in google or on BroadbandReports.com.

deco_time wrote:

Larry wrote:

L
Larry
Aug 12, 2004
Thanks Mike,

yes, the situation is mentioned in KB article Q813711,
or you can find on this website:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=813711

There you get instructions how to increase the folder-value.

For me, I unfortunately happen to have 22 027 folders on this computer, so I guess I will have to live with choosing Detailed List manually every time.

/Larry

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 15:04:46 -0500, "Mike H. Weisman" wrote:

In Win XP there is a resource that can be exhausted when you set "remember my folder settings." That’s only good for 400 folders. There’s a registry tweak somewhere to increase it.

Do a search in google or on BroadbandReports.com.

deco_time wrote:

Larry wrote:

DT
deco_time
Aug 12, 2004
In news:Mike H. Weisman typed:

Yes, I did that before; increased to 8000 but didn’t change the behavior in PS.

Odysea video production
Come dive with us!
www.odysea.ca
R
Rick
Aug 13, 2004
"deco_time" wrote in message
In news:Mike H. Weisman typed:

Yes, I did that before; increased to 8000 but didn’t change the behavior in PS.

I don’t believe that has anything to do with the issue. On my Win2K system, I’ve set detailed view as a default for ALL folders (the option to "remember each folder’s view settings" is turned OFF), and PS *still* comes up in List view.

Rick

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections