make not quite rectangular shape into a rectangle… possible?

M
Posted By
mscir
Dec 6, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am working with part of a photograph taken of a tapestry hanging on a well. The tapestry was not hanging exactly level, and one end droops quite a bit.

I once saw a guy select the edge of a not-quite rectangluar shape, then drag or stretch it into a rectangle. I can’t figure out how he did it though.

Any suggestions? URL’s?

Photoshop 6 Win 98.

Thanks,
MIke

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

PF
Paul Furman
Dec 6, 2003
Edit > Free transform then hold alt while clicking a particular corner. This won’t fix droop but will adjust skew.

mscir wrote:

I am working with part of a photograph taken of a tapestry hanging on a well. The tapestry was not hanging exactly level, and one end droops quite a bit.

I once saw a guy select the edge of a not-quite rectangluar shape, then drag or stretch it into a rectangle. I can’t figure out how he did it though.

Any suggestions? URL’s?

Photoshop 6 Win 98.

Thanks,
MIke
W
wes
Dec 6, 2003
Paul, I think you meant to say use the Ctrl key as you move one of the corners. Alt will do a proportional increase or decrease of the selection from the center point.

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
Edit > Free transform then hold alt while clicking a particular corner. This won’t fix droop but will adjust skew.

mscir wrote:

Any suggestions? URL’s?

Photoshop 6 Win 98.

Thanks,
MIke
M
mscir
Dec 6, 2003
Paul,

That was it!!! by selecting sections of the tapestry and transforming hem, section by section, I squared it up very nicely.

I spent a lot of time trying to get choices from the filter menu to work, wondering why I couldn’t stumble onto it.

Thanks very much,
Mike

Paul Furman wrote:

mscir wrote:

Any suggestions? URL’s?

Photoshop 6 Win 98.

Thanks,
MIke
H
Hecate
Dec 7, 2003
On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 13:07:34 -0800, mscir
wrote:

Paul,

That was it!!! by selecting sections of the tapestry and transforming hem, section by section, I squared it up very nicely.

I spent a lot of time trying to get choices from the filter menu to work, wondering why I couldn’t stumble onto it.

Thanks very much,
Mike
And a quick suggestion you may find useful for correcting skew:

1. Select the measure tool and draw a straight line across the image.
2. Go to Edit/transform/arbitrary and you’ll see the box has already
been filled with an angle. Just hit Ok and this will straighten the picture automatically.

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
H
Hecate
Dec 7, 2003
wrote:

Paul,

Thanks very much,
Mike
PS. You can also correct using the crop tool 😉

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
M
mscir
Dec 7, 2003
Thanks for all of the suggestions to everyone who posted, I’ll be trying all of them.

Mike

Hecate wrote:
wrote:

Paul,

Thanks very much,
Mike

PS. You can also correct using the crop tool 😉

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
NS
Not so quick
Dec 7, 2003
"Hecate" wrote in message
wrote:

Paul,

Thanks very much,
Mike
And a quick suggestion you may find useful for correcting skew:
1. Select the measure tool and draw a straight line across the image.
2. Go to Edit/transform/arbitrary and you’ll see the box has already
been filled with an angle. Just hit Ok and this will straighten the picture automatically.

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui

Thanks for posting the tip on using the measure too.
It’s nice to see PhotoShop has caught up on one
feature of Enhance sold 10 years ago but went out
of business. I appreciate you tip. : -)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections