I will install upgd. PS CS soon — will it overwrite my PS 7.0.1?

R
Posted By
Randyman
Dec 6, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I run Win XP and have PS 7.0.1. I still want my old PS to show when I upgd with the CS upgd version. Will it? I believe in the past when I did upgds to preexisting versions of PS the older version still showed. I have many actions, etc. which probably will work only in my PS 7.01. Anyone know the answer? Thanks

Sincerely — Randyman

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

W
wes
Dec 6, 2003
No, it will be placed in its own folder. 7.01 will still be operable.

"Randyman" wrote in message
I run Win XP and have PS 7.0.1. I still want my old PS to show when I
upgd
with the CS upgd version. Will it? I believe in the past when I did
upgds
to preexisting versions of PS the older version still showed. I have many actions, etc. which probably will work only in my PS 7.01. Anyone know
the
answer? Thanks

Sincerely — Randyman

E
edjh
Dec 6, 2003
Randyman wrote:
I run Win XP and have PS 7.0.1. I still want my old PS to show when I upgd with the CS upgd version. Will it? I believe in the past when I did upgds to preexisting versions of PS the older version still showed. I have many actions, etc. which probably will work only in my PS 7.01. Anyone know the answer? Thanks

Sincerely — Randyman
The two programs will coexist on the same computer.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
D
dannyraphael
Dec 8, 2003
"Randyman" …

Sincerely — Randyman

RE: I have many actions, etc. which probably will work only in my PS
7.01. Anyone know the answer?

Your actions in 7.01 will run OK in CS.

You will need to locate a file named Actions Pallete.psp. This is the file where PS writes a snapshot of the content of your actions palette when you shutdown PS. (Note: On my Windows 2000 system this file was "hidden" originally, so if you do a search on it and can’t find it, you’ll need to set the XP view option to "show hidden files." Check Help for how to make this change. It’s easy.

When you find the PS 7 version of Actions Palette.psp, CTRL + Drag and Drop a copy of it into the corresponding CS folder, replacing the (empty) CS version of the file. The next time you bring CS up, its actions palette will be populated with the actions you creeated in

Have fun with CS!
~Danny~
E
edjh
Dec 8, 2003
DannyR wrote:

You will need to locate a file named Actions Pallete.psp. This is the file where PS writes a snapshot of the content of your actions palette when you shutdown PS. (Note: On my Windows 2000 system this file was "hidden" originally, so if you do a search on it and can’t find it, you’ll need to set the XP view option to "show hidden files." Check Help for how to make this change. It’s easy.

When you find the PS 7 version of Actions Palette.psp, CTRL + Drag and Drop a copy of it into the corresponding CS folder, replacing the (empty) CS version of the file. The next time you bring CS up, its actions palette will be populated with the actions you creeated in

Have fun with CS!
~Danny~
I think you are far better off saving your actions and copying the actions themselves over to the Presets folder and also backing them up to another location on your hard drive (or on another media). Otherwise you run the risk of losing them all if you reinstall or even crash or reset preferences.

J
John
Dec 8, 2003
I think you are far better off saving your actions and copying the actions themselves over to the Presets folder and also backing them up to another location on your hard drive (or on another media). Otherwise you run the risk of losing them all if you reinstall or even crash or reset preferences.

I agree that you should save all your actions to another location, and after you install CS, copy them into the Presets/Photoshop Actions folder. It makes good sense to back up your actions this way, and it simplifies adding them to CS.

You should also save the contents of your Plug-Ins folder to another location if you have third party plug-ins. There is known problem in which CS will come up with an error message each time you run it – "can’t find PDFL50.DLL" – although the program will load properly after you click on OK. I gather that most people don’t come across this problem, or maybe they don’t have the third party plug-ins that cause the problem.

The solution is to uninstall CS, and then uninstall PS 7 and delete all the plug-ins from the PS folder. Then reinstall CS, and restore your plug-ins. When you reinstall CS you will need your PS & disk handy for upgrade verification.

I don’t suppose for a moment that CS is the most important upgrade in the history of Photoshop, but for me CS has brought Photshop to the level that makes it easy for me to do all the things I’ve ever wanted to do in Photoshop, and more than I expected was possible. ,
B
Birddog
Dec 9, 2003
In the past I have always been afraid to remove an older version after an upgrade installation. I have been afraid that the uninstall might remove shared files. Is it safe to uninstall an older version? At the same time, I created a mess when took a different tact. I removed PS 6 before I installed.7. Since it was an upgrade I couldn’t install – had to phone Adobe, they helped.
"Randyman" wrote in message
I run Win XP and have PS 7.0.1. I still want my old PS to show when I
upgd
with the CS upgd version. Will it? I believe in the past when I did
upgds
to preexisting versions of PS the older version still showed. I have many actions, etc. which probably will work only in my PS 7.01. Anyone know
the
answer? Thanks

Sincerely — Randyman

U
Unregistered
Dec 11, 2003
edjh wrote:
*DannyR wrote:

I think you are far better off saving your actions and copying the actions themselves over to the Presets folder and also backing the up
to another location on your hard drive (or on another media) Otherwise
you run the risk of losing them all if you reinstall or even cras or
reset preferences.

Unregistered
———————————————————— ———– Posted via http://www.mcse.m
———————————————————— ———– View this thread: http://www.forum4designers.com/message18453.htm
A
arosenblat
Dec 14, 2003
Unregistered

wrote:>e: I will install upgd. PS CS soon — will it overwrite my PS 7.0.1?

CS is a separate program and will not overwrite 7.0.1. I installed CS and still have 7.0.1 separately.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections