Ready To Print. Now What? Advice Wanted.

DW
Posted By
Derek_W_Brown
Oct 4, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello brothers and sisters of Photoshop 7. I’m ready to do some great printing but that it wise to gather some intel first. You people always have the answers I need, but be easy with the beginner to intermediate user here. Don’t talk over my head please. Thank of my as your dear old dog that your trying to teach a trick to. Because believe me, some of you masters are so advanced I am very much like a dog when compared to. Don’t worry though, I lose my pride in search of knowledge.

Can anyone give me some good tips for both conventional photo as well as design printing. I own a printer, Canon S900 series, with a double wide print head that allows my to print a 1200dpix2400dpi image in roughly three minutes full page. I’m uncertain what the bleed factor is and would very much like to go edge to edge mostly. The 900 has 6 cartridges, CMYK and photocyan and photomagenta. As I understand it, this set up is great for an increased color gamut. Maybe you know otherwise. I would greatly appreciate it if you would give me few minutes of consideration. Thanks in advance and as always you people should know that you kick major butt.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RL
Robert_Levine
Oct 4, 2003
I’ll let the real experts get into detail but my two pieces of advice would be to make sure your monitor is properly calibrated and if you are only printing to the S900 work in RGB only.

Bob
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 4, 2003
Derek,

What tips are you looking for?
BB
brent_bertram
Oct 4, 2003
Derek,
A good place to start is Ian Lyons’s tutorial on Printing from Photoshop 7, < http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7_print/ps7_print_mac_2.h tm> .

There is even an area covering the Canon driver, thought Ian is really an Epson devotee. Try it out, it’s a great tutorial.

🙂

Brent
DW
Derek_W_Brown
Oct 4, 2003
I’m looking for advice, i guess, on a decent icc profile. My color management is garbage and enlisting help from hp is like begging change from a bum. What I’m seeing on screen looks great, and when I compare these images to the original, unfettered by computer language, the resemblance is completely satisfactory. The on screen dispal, OSD?, seems fine. However, by the time my S900 is thru, I might as well should use a zerox machine. I’m looking at the sight suggested to me, got it in my favorite places. But I’m wondering about a better calibration method than the one offered in classroom in a book. Done that, still garbage. Why the RGB mode only? I thought CMYK and global process colors were what would be best but it’s easy to misunderstand when your a lap dog. Give me a shout. Thanks again.
BB
brent_bertram
Oct 4, 2003
Derek,
I suggest that your have two choices.

1) Print using the "Printer Color Management" as output space profile as covered by Ian Lyons in his tutorial.

2) Purchase a profiling package ( like Monaco EZcolor ) and create your own ICC media profiles.

I originally used option 1 ( above ) and got decent results, but since have switched to my own profiles, and the results are definitely better. You should be getting decent results using "Printer Color Management", however.

RGB mode happens to be appropriate for printer to inkjets. The drivers are designed to accept the RGB data and convert to the CMYK inks. Sending a CMYK image to an inkjet ( unless it’s specifically designed to accept CMYK data ) is not going to give good results.

🙂

Brent
NB
Norbert_Bissinger
Oct 4, 2003
Ian Lyons has all you need on his website follow the instructions of all things related to it.

<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_1.htm>
DW
Derek_W_Brown
Oct 4, 2003
Read it. Got it. Learned alot. As always, thanx for the help. I’m still open to suggestions though if anyone else has commentary. Since my last, I calibrated the moniter again and read an online manual for my brand. I read the sugested website, and the responses here. I’m making progress and we all know this: No matter how much you know, we are always making progress. I spend a great deal of time in 7. I’m officially hooked. Take care.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Oct 4, 2003
enlisting help from hp is like begging change from a bum

???????
DW
Derek_W_Brown
Oct 5, 2003
Sorry you don’t get it Bert. It’s futile and furthermore it is the reversal of the natural order. The help when you are spending money, not once they have it. And for the record, alms giving is fantastic, dealing with Hp is beyond frustrating. Took me two weeks just to get info I didn’t ask for an a web address that was superficial. I’m stupid. I thought the people who made a product knew about it. What do I know.
TS
Tim_Spragens
Oct 5, 2003
I thought the people who made a product knew about it. What do I know.

Someone there knows about it, you just don’t get to talk to them.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Oct 5, 2003
Sorry you don’t get it Bert

I was just confused because you were talking about a Canon printer, and suddenly were bashing HP. I guess you were talking about the computer? You hadn’t mentioned what computer you have. Did I miss something? I went back and re-read it….
Bert
DW
Derek_W_Brown
Oct 5, 2003
For the record, when you want graphic design run on a computer, by mac or athelon processesors. Two and a half years ago, when Hp and pentium and circuit city bent me over and slipped me the lime green weinie, I did not know this. I wanted what a consumer with a mind wants, the most affordable yet adequate machine. Very few places actually sell mac and Hp replaces their absence with garbage. For everyday programming, Packard can run word and musicmatch simultaneously. Try running a hundred meg picture file with say 7 layers and doing something as sinister as breathing while operating the machine. The depression era stock market didn’t crash so hard. As for the S900 series Canon inkjet, works great. It carries six seperate cartridges, which makes it affordable and practical. I only replaced the empty colors, unlike the epson and most others, who combine three or more inks in the same cartridge. Once your out of one, it’s time to spend 50 instead of twelve. And with the same max dpi and a double wide print head that allows a borderless page at about 3 minutes, how can you lose. Take advance warning though, for those people who think I might know something, I do not do grayscale printing at all, never have. Siply put, for my friends out there, the best of my knowledge is as follows: By Mac. Need a multipurpose PC instead? By Dell. Still, buy the athelon chip, even a 1.6 runs over the 2.0 pentium because of the cycles per second, ask a pro. I use Canon, 6 cartridges, in my opinion you have to go laser to beat it, but I’ve never owned the laser. Take care, I hope my perspective, earned the hard way, is at least considered Bert. I know you want the best for your money to man.
RH
r_harvey
Oct 5, 2003
I’m with Bert.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 6, 2003
For the record, … I know you want the best for your money to man

What?
RH
r_harvey
Oct 6, 2003
Homonymic dyslexia.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 6, 2003
I thought it was "Forgetting Foucault".

Margaret McDowell "Forgetting Foucault" 9/13/03 11:24am </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Oct 6, 2003
Once your out of one, it’s time to spend 50 instead of twelve.

Well, far be it from me to defend Epson, but the five-ink cartridge for my 780 costs $18. Just to set the record straight.
And 5×12 = sixty bucks to stock the Canon. Hmmm. I dunno how many prints you get for $60, but that sorta sounds like the Epson 2200, which is a great printer from what I’ve heard, but it has seven cartridges at $11 each…that’s a lotta bucks for 25 or 30 pictures.
Bert

PS – I tried to read Eco’s book "Foucault’s Pendulum" a few years ago. Gave up after a couple hundred pages.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections