G
Posted By
gilchris
Nov 26, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just received an email message offering PhotoShop 7 at an unbelievablely low price. The ad says that it is an OEM version and offers a CD. Can this be real? Is it legal? Anyone had any experience with this?

Allen

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

V
Voivod
Nov 26, 2003
On 26 Nov 2003 12:15:35 -0800, (Allen Gilchrist)
scribbled:

I just received an email message offering PhotoShop 7 at an unbelievablely low price. The ad says that it is an OEM version and offers a CD. Can this be real? Is it legal? Anyone had any experience with this?

"If it’s too good to be true it probably isn’t."
CD
Clyde Davidson
Nov 27, 2003
In article ,
(Allen Gilchrist) wrote:

Allen

They may or may not be real. If they are, they most certainly aren’t legal. If they aren’t real, you’re screwed.

Clyde
N
nospam
Nov 27, 2003
wrote (with possible editing):

Allen

Since PS7 requires activation, you’d be smart to ask Adobe BEFORE you buy it.

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com
JW
JP White
Nov 27, 2003
Allen Gilchrist wrote:

Allen

OEM Versions are not legal unless the software is delivered with a new PC. Some software vendors will only allow the OEM version to be sold if it’s pre installed by the hardware vendor.

Sold separately it is definitely not legal.

JP
V
Voivod
Nov 27, 2003
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 13:22:54 -0600, JP White
scribbled:

OEM Versions are not legal unless the software is delivered with a new PC.

Incorrect, OEM software can be sold with individual pieces of hardware (i.e. Nero OEM coming with CDRW drives).
ML
Mike Latondresse
Nov 27, 2003

L. M. Rappaport wrote in
news::

Larry

PS 7 does not require activation and you don’t even have to register a your copy to upgrade to CS.
DL
Donald Link
Nov 27, 2003
Get your facts straight before replying. Photoshop does NOT require activation. Only so far Phototshop DOES require activation. Even then there are ways around it.

"L. M. Rappaport" wrote in message

Allen

Larry
V
Voivod
Nov 27, 2003
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 20:03:13 GMT, "Donald Link" scribbled:

Photoshop does NOT require
activation. Only so far Phototshop DOES require activation.

Is it just me or do these two sentences contradict each other?
JW
JP White
Nov 27, 2003
Voivod wrote:

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 13:22:54 -0600, JP White
scribbled:

OEM Versions are not legal unless the software is delivered with a new PC.

Incorrect, OEM software can be sold with individual pieces of hardware (i.e. Nero OEM coming with CDRW drives).

I stand corrected, I should have said not legal unless delivered with a new piece of hardware.

Good Eye.

JP
J
Joe
Nov 28, 2003
JP White wrote:

Allen Gilchrist wrote:

Allen

OEM Versions are not legal unless the software is delivered with a new PC. Some software vendors will only allow the OEM version to be sold if it’s pre installed by the hardware vendor.

Sold separately it is definitely not legal.

JP

I don’t know it you are correct or not *but* I have seen few BIG companies selling OEM version of Photoshop for very low price. I read the reason they were selling (around $200-250) as OEM version because they already paid Adobe for so many copies, and they don’t use all of them (or something like that). So they sell them as OEM to recover the $$$$ they already paid Adobe.

It was few years ago when I was shopping for lowest upgrading price and ran into 2-3 companies (they had so many diffrent packages like Student, Regular, XX licenses etc.. and of course the OEM version’s).
H
Hecate
Nov 28, 2003
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 20:32:14 GMT, Voivod wrote:

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 20:03:13 GMT, "Donald Link" scribbled:

Photoshop does NOT require
activation. Only so far Phototshop DOES require activation.

Is it just me or do these two sentences contradict each other?

No, it’s not just you. I read the damn thing several times and it still doesn’t make sense 😉

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
B
Bernie
Nov 28, 2003
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 20:03:13 GMT, "Donald Link" wrote:

Get your facts straight before replying. Photoshop does NOT require activation. Only so far Phototshop DOES require activation. Even then there are ways around it.

Read this again. Does or does not…
7=no
8(cs)=yes
MR
Mike Russell
Nov 28, 2003
Donald Link wrote:
Good – now that’s straightened out.

Mike Russell
http://www.curvemeister.com
http://www.zocalo.net/~mgr
http://geigy.2y.net
R
RTM
Nov 28, 2003
So do I neither.
Put like that its hard to see what all the fuss was about. —

Ron.

Donald Link wrote in message
N
nospam
Nov 28, 2003
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 20:03:13 GMT, "Donald Link" wrote (with possible editing):

Sorry, was thinking about Macromedia MX2004. That, however, does not explain your sentence above which makes absolutely no sense. While I’m trying to get my facts straight, perhaps you might try improving your command of English. 🙂

Larry

Allen

Larry
J
jrzyguy
Nov 30, 2003
well…i obtained a LEGAL version of PS 7 for 80 bucks! swear to god! it was a limited on-line offer…and had the full package with cd’s and manual etc in about 2 days. I forget what site it was on…but it wasnt on ebay or craigslist or any place like that. It was a direct order from a legit company.

just gotta keep in the know i guess

jj

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 20:03:13 GMT, "Donald Link" wrote (with possible editing):

Sorry, was thinking about Macromedia MX2004. That, however, does not explain your sentence above which makes absolutely no sense. While I’m trying to get my facts straight, perhaps you might try improving your command of English. 🙂

Larry

Allen

Larry
B
BF
Dec 4, 2003
"> I’m trying to get my facts straight, perhaps
you might try improving
your command of English. 🙂
If he lives in the U.S. he doesn’t have to be able
to speak correct English. Hell, he doesn’t even
have to speak English at all, it is up to us to
figure it out.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections