Posted By
jrzyguy
Nov 23, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
just had to share this with you folks.

Someone from my training dept approached me lately and asked if i could give him a 15-20 minute training session in photoshop. I didnt know if i should just laugh in his face or slap him.

Just had to share that one wit ya.

jj

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ruth
Nov 23, 2003
teach him how to start it up and close it down again.
😉

ruth

"jrzyguy" wrote in message

Someone from my training dept approached me lately and asked if i could
give
him a 15-20 minute training session in photoshop. I didnt know if i
should
just laugh in his face or slap him.

jj

JK
JP Kabala
Nov 23, 2003
I have a similar one— someone I actually like and respect came to me the other day. Said he was interested in applying for an internal job posting, but the job description said "must know Photoshop and Illustrator" (this is a PR position)

Now I, frankly, think the job description is the equivalent of "Wanted: Einstein’s brains, DaVinci’s artistic skills, must be a public speaker of the caliber of William Jennings Bryant, Veteran Disabled Minority Supermodels with PhD’s preferred. $40K" and the job, as defined, is a nightmare for more reasons than I can or will go into here

Back to the conversation with my friend. "I submitted my resume anyway… I figure I can pick up the software with a little practice….but now they want to see my portfolio….So, how do I do that? Can you teach me enough over the holiday weekend to put together a few pieces? They want print and multimedia"

ARRRRGH!

give
should

jj

JK
JP Kabala
Nov 23, 2003
and how to run the brush strokes filters on the ducky.

"Ruth" wrote in message
teach him how to start it up and close it down again.
😉

ruth

give
should

jj

JW
JP White
Nov 24, 2003
jrzyguy wrote:

Someone from my training dept approached me lately and asked if i could give him a 15-20 minute training session in photoshop. I didnt know if i should just laugh in his face or slap him.

jj

I hear you, but sometimes it makes sense to do so.

I’ve just started rolling out Elements to the average user at work and I do a quick 15-20 minute session with them.

All you can do in that time span is demonstrate how the program solves the issue that prompted you to buy the package for them – the more wiz bang the better, need to get them excited about the software app. Add to that you should show them how to easily resize an image and reduce resolution before emailing a photo and the dramatic file size change with little or no apparent degradation. Then show them a training schedule for New Horizons (or your favorite training company) with some pre paid coupons and offer them manuals, books and web tutorials.

If they don’t take the initiative to help themselves after that I don’t waste anymore time with them.

If your trainer was hoping to learn enough to train others then a large guffaw was in order. However he may have had a simple requirement to process images before placing them in powerpoint for instance. If so you have the opportunity to be a Photoshop evangelist and convert another user to the fold.

JP
JK
JP Kabala
Nov 24, 2003
Just tell them to buy a copy of
How to Use Photoshop CS by Daniel Giordan and
Photoshop Studio Techniques by Ben Willmore
and call you when they’ve finished working through
those 2. That will give them a good
background in the basics.

If they can do *that* in 20 minutes
give them my e-mail address and I’ll hire them.

"JP White" wrote in message
jrzyguy wrote:

give
should

jj

I’ve just started rolling out Elements to the average user at work and I do a quick 15-20 minute session with them.

All you can do in that time span is demonstrate how the program solves the issue that prompted you to buy the package for them – the more wiz bang the better, need to get them excited about the software app. Add to that you should show them how to easily resize an image and reduce resolution before emailing a photo and the dramatic file size change with little or no apparent degradation. Then show them a training schedule for New Horizons (or your favorite training company) with some pre paid coupons and offer them manuals, books and web tutorials.
If they don’t take the initiative to help themselves after that I don’t waste anymore time with them.

If your trainer was hoping to learn enough to train others then a large guffaw was in order. However he may have had a simple requirement to process images before placing them in powerpoint for instance. If so you have the opportunity to be a Photoshop evangelist and convert another user to the fold.

JP

I
imaginuity
Nov 24, 2003
and tell the guy who wants to apply for the job to just show the two huge Kahoona’s he obviously has, thinking he can get a look-in with no skills, no creativity, no hope and no idea

"JP Kabala" wrote in message
Just tell them to buy a copy of
How to Use Photoshop CS by Daniel Giordan and
Photoshop Studio Techniques by Ben Willmore
and call you when they’ve finished working through
those 2. That will give them a good
background in the basics.

If they can do *that* in 20 minutes
give them my e-mail address and I’ll hire them.

"JP White" wrote in message
jrzyguy wrote:

Someone from my training dept approached me lately and asked if i
could
give
should

jj

JP

H
howldog
Nov 24, 2003
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 19:17:43 +1100, "imaginuity" wrote:

and tell the guy who wants to apply for the job to just show the two huge Kahoona’s he obviously has, thinking he can get a look-in with no skills, no creativity, no hope and no idea

if his kahuna’s are so big, maybe he should just take a pic of them, run the "bloat" filter on his own ego, and put those fabilous works of art in his "portfolio".

He might just get the job.
L
lotsofdough
Nov 25, 2003
Spend the 15 min telling her it will cost a few bucks, like this:

A beginner starts with
1. PS books.

Not getting anywhere with the books, she attends
2. PS workshops.

The workshops tell her she’s doing fine, but needs
3. High performance computer, nice monitor, printer, print media, etc.
4. Color management tools and profiles.

She mortgages the house and buys all of the above. She locks herself in a room and works like a dog.
5. Weeks, months, and years of learning.

Still she does not like her own work and loses her self esteem. Her priest suggests seeking help.
6. Depression treatment at a shrink’s office.

With the house gone, and haven’t seen her for a while, her SO makes the final choice.
7. Separation costs when your SO can’t put up with you any longer.

jrzyguy wrote:

jj

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections